Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News CD Projekt RED News: Cyberpunk 2077 Announced, The Witcher 2 Going Mac, REDkit Intro Video

MCA
Sorry but the on-rails approach of TW kills any illusion of 'sandbox' to me. And really, comparing it to Bloodlines doesn't make much sense. The reason Bloodlines is praised here is because of its multiple character development/playthrough styles and C&C (two things the Witcher lacks in any meaningful quantity). Everyone recognizes Bloodlines has pretty terrible combat and mediocre level design.

WUT

How is Bloodlines not on-rails?

Captain Shrek

Sorry but the on-rails approach of TW kills any illusion of 'sandbox' to me. And really, comparing it to Bloodlines doesn't make much sense. The reason Bloodlines is praised here is because of its multiple character development/playthrough styles and C&C (two things the Witcher lacks in any meaningful quantity). Everyone recognizes Bloodlines has pretty terrible combat and mediocre level design.

WUT

Because on rails means as linear as Half life. Bloodlines gives you a lot more options as long as you do not consider the areas becoming available.

MCA
I disagree, what makes Morrowind a far better sandbox game is the fact that there is no level scaling in MW which means you can find the best equipment and most dangerous enemies as level 1. Also all dungeons in Skyrim are, conceptually, pretty much the same, the whole point of them is to find loot and all of them have pretty much same design with several levels and last one culminating with a "boss" and a big treasure chest/dragon shout. In Morrowind there are many dungeons that have no enemies at all but have pieces of lore, Bethesda said the story of the world with the world itself. The point is that Morrowind is totally unpredictable place and thats the reason why its far better sandbox world and a game.
This, plus let's not forget the fact that you have to figure out where to go and what to do for quests on your own (lol can't find caius cosades), as well as the reputation system which is a global mechanic that handles a lot of different things in the game world, from shop prices, to quests available, to the information NPCs will offer you. Skyrim might be a better sandbox in that it is (very arguably) less directed in that the main quest stuff is pushed to the background, but Morrowind uses its sandbox elements to form a much more coherent RPG-style experience which is enriched by them not diminished.

Not only have you endorsed invalid points from a previous post but make irrelevant points yourself. It's obvious to almost everyone here that MW is the better game so now can we drop the masturbation, already?

MCA

WUT

Because on rails means as linear as Half life. Bloodlines gives you a lot more options as long as you do not consider the areas becoming available.

And how is that any different from TW? Are you drawing a parallel between HL and TW?

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

WUT

If you put it like that, HL isn't on rails either. You can use the revolver, or the shotgun, or some sci-fi alien gun, or even grenades. You can fight cautiously or run-and-gun. See! So many options! How can you call this on rails?:troll:

This was just to illustrate how absurd it is to try to draw the line of what is on-rails on what isn't somewhere between HL and Bloodlines. They both restrain the player in what he is able to do and where he is able to go at any given time, it's just a matter of degrees. That line has its place between MW (and the other Beth sandboxes), FO1, FO2, Arcanum and, maybe, even BG1 on one side and BG2 and TW2 on the other. From BG2 and TW2 onwards there are just increasing levels of linearity.

Captain Shrek

And how is that any different from TW? Are you drawing a parallel between HL and TW?

I am not. Actually even TW is not as linear as HL. I was just saying that on rails has a particular meaning. It does not mean more linear than my favorite RPG.

MCA
Oh, it is Metro claiming that TW is "on rails" while BL is supposedly not. But I think most here use on-rails to denote a relatively highly non-flexible order of main quests. I might be wrong.

Captain Shrek

Thinking back to past Codex discussions, I might be. Eg: CoD series are on-rails, HL is merely linear. Perhaps the use is contextual.
No need to get sarcastic. on rails means so linear that that there is only one path to follow. THis can apply to individual quests. The instrument of the path does not matter (the guns) just the path does. Here path means level design route or story choice.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I disagree, what makes Morrowind a far better sandbox game is the fact that there is no level scaling in MW which means you can find the best equipment and most dangerous enemies as level 1. Also all dungeons in Skyrim are, conceptually, pretty much the same, the whole point of them is to find loot and all of them have pretty much same design with several levels and last one culminating with a "boss" and a big treasure chest/dragon shout. In Morrowind there are many dungeons that have no enemies at all but have pieces of lore, Bethesda said the story of the world with the world itself. The point is that Morrowind is totally unpredictable place and thats the reason why its far better sandbox world and a game.
This, plus let's not forget the fact that you have to figure out where to go and what to do for quests on your own (lol can't find caius cosades), as well as the reputation system which is a global mechanic that handles a lot of different things in the game world, from shop prices, to quests available, to the information NPCs will offer you. Skyrim might be a better sandbox in that it is (very arguably) less directed in that the main quest stuff is pushed to the background, but Morrowind uses its sandbox elements to form a much more coherent RPG-style experience which is enriched by them not diminished.

Not only have you endorsed invalid points from a previous post but make irrelevant points yourself. It's obvious to almost everyone here that MW is the better game so now can we drop the masturbation, already?

Can you explain in detail why are those points invalid/irrelevant and Im really interested to know why do you think Skyrim has a better sandbox world.

Phelot

Arcane
Looking at that teaser pic with the stylized "Cyberpunk 2077" my guess is they're going for the retro 80's look which obviously hasn't been played out yet, right? :roll:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Looking at that teaser pic with the stylized "Cyberpunk 2077" my guess is they're going for the retro 80's look which obviously hasn't been played out yet, right? :roll:

The literary genre and the PnP system have been influenced by the 80s zeitgeist since their very beginning. If they did an entirely original cyberpunk setting, not based on the PnP system, I could see how bitching about it could have been justified. But in this case it's like taking the retrofuture 50s feel out of fallout and replacing it with a more modern feel, it would just be wrong.

Phelot

Arcane
It's boring at this point. It was boring in Vice City and it'll be boring and lame here. Being "80's" isn't interesting anymore. every hipster wears faux-80's garbage while yelling "I KNOW ABOUT FLOCK OF SEAGULLS!" these days. It is tired, find something new

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's boring at this point. It was boring in Vice City and it'll be boring and lame here. Being "80's" isn't interesting anymore. every hipster wears faux-80's garbage while yelling "I KNOW ABOUT FLOCK OF SEAGULLS!" these days. It is tired, find something new

Then you are REALLY going to hate Wasteland 2.....

Phelot

Arcane
I can't wait for the 2020's by then the 90's will be awesome then I can wear my baggy pants and flannel grunge shirts again.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Cyberpunk without the retro stuff is just lame, I'm glad this is one cyberpunk game that gets the aesthetics right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom