Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News CD Projekt: "We will combine story driven and open-world RPGs for the first time."

I have no confidence in them whatsoever

hiver

Good news, hiver, this one will have Facebook integration.
Coool! Ill buy five!
QTEs over fagbook! My dream RPGBLBLBLB!!!
yeeaaahhhh!

Also, Mrowak, for fuck sake... even if you would switch QTEs "off" there were still in the game. Fistfighting was still QTE, important parts of main and sidequest were still fucking QTE and probably more i cant remember or didnt get to see.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Coool! Ill buy five!
yeeaaahhhh!

Also, Mrowak, for fuck sake... even if you would switch QTEs "off" there were still in the game. Fistfighting was still QTE, important parts of main and sidequest were still fucking QTE and probably more i cant remember or didnt get to see.

Fissfighting is an optional subquest that doesn't matter at all. And undobtedly when you speak of "important parts and sidequest" you mean that "mash button X to load ballista" pieces. Jesus Christ, they were like 5 obligatory QTEs of this kind in the whole game, that took less than 10 sec each... and there was no Game Over if you failed them.

That sort of criticism is just rabid rage for the sake of rabid rage. Is it good that they were there? Of course not! But FFS, you didn't mean to tell me that something so small could undermine the entire game.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
So wait, when did they make Red Engine 2? I thought the W2 version was the first one?

The REDengine demonstrated its capability to create great adventures for the first time in The Witcher 2 (PC). It was praised for its graphical excellence and exceptional, branching storytelling. The studio developed the technology, and with optimization REDengine 2 (internal name) brought The Witcher 2 to Xbox 360. Now CD Projekt RED aims to set their games in diversified, open-world ecosystems while maintaining a well-paced and robust story

:roll:

skyst

Augur
I always thought Geralt and the Witchers in general were an interesting concept that could go far in an open world game.

The most appealing parts of these games were learning about a monster, preparing for the encounter and finally facing it, like the first town of Witcher 2. Surely the game will have an intricate plot full of political intrigue blah blah like it's predecessors, but the notion of stumbling upon side quests to research and eventually destroy all manner of horrifying beasts plaguing the random settlements along the way seems like fun - if it's handled well.

hiver

Coool! Ill buy five!
yeeaaahhhh!

Fissfighting is an optional subquest that doesn't matter at all. And undobtedly when you speak of "important parts and sidequest" you mean that "mash button X to load ballista" pieces. Jesus Christ, they were like 5 obligatory QTEs of this kind in the whole game, that took less than 10 sec each... and there was no Game Over if you failed them.

That sort of criticism is just rabid rage for the sake of rabid rage. Is it good that they were there? Of course not! But FFS, you didn't mean to tell me that something so small could undermine the entire game.
No, no.... fistfighting was CONTENT that was unavailable if you couldnt do QTEs. The Kraken was "game ends here" QTE and a boss in main quest. The scene where you avoid the dragon on the bridge towards the castle where you first meet the assasin witcher ?
Also QTE - even if you turn them off.

All these were undoable on my computer because of graphic lag - even if the rest of the game was playable just fine - with graphic options turned down completely.

And there are probably more like these i didnt see because i deinstalled the shit.

hiver

I dont need it. The game ran just fine. QTEs didnt.
I somehow managed, because i turned them "off" so they were easier to do, though couldnt do any fist fights, got to the third chapter, played a bit then deleted it.

The point is that they shouldnt be there at all.

Mrowak

Arcane
Coool! Ill buy five!
yeeaaahhhh!

No, no.... fistfighting was CONTENT that was unavailable if you couldnt do QTEs.

Jebus Christ, it was one line of pointless quests. Do I bitch about CONTENT that was unavailable to me in Fallout 2 in all those fistfighting competitions when it was the most dumb shit there is in any game? No! Just deal with it...

The Kraken was "game ends here" QTE and a boss in main quest.

:neveraskedforthis:

Ok, it seems you don't mean the actual cutscene QTEs, because those you could disable in options. You mean the gameplay, right? So, because you have to dodge... and to dodge it you need to time your actions... it is a QTE... ok. Goddamn all those action games RPGs. Fine, it wasn't the best boss fight ever - quite lackluster. But FFS, don't call it QTE!

The scene where you avoid the dragon on the bridge towards the castle where you first meet the assasin witcher ?

It lasts 15 sec tops. Also there nothing like it later on.

All these were undoable on my computer because of graphic lag - even if the rest of the game was playable just fine - with graphic options turned down completely.

I see we are getting closer to the real issue of your beef with the game - your technical problems.

And there are probably more like these i didnt see because i deinstalled the shit.

So edgy... :roll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fact that QTEs "don't last long" isn't a good argument, Mrowak. Of course they don't last long, they're meant to simulate fast-paced cinematic action moments.

hiver

Ok, it seems you don't mean the actual cutscene QTEs, because those you could disable in options. You mean the gameplay, right? So, because you have to dodge... and to dodge it you need to time your actions... it is a QTE... ok. Goddamn all those action gamesRPGs. Fine, it wasn't the best boss fight ever - quite lackluster. But FFS, don't call it QTE.
it is QTE when you get onto a swinging tentacle. it is a QTE when you have to throw in the bomb.
MKAY?

The scene where you avoid the dragon on the bridge towards the castle where you first meet the assasin witcher ?

It lasts 15 sec tops. Also there nothing like it later on.
Dont give a fuck how long it lasts. Its fucking QTE and if you cant pull it off the game is OVER.

And thats after you "turn qtes off".

I see we are getting closer to the real issue of your beef with the game - your technical problems.
Game runs fine but QTEs dont? My technical problems?

Regdar

Arcane
I wonder if the game will have cool, spectacular finishers.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Hmm. I too couldn't handle any of the fistfights which required using more than one button. Always failed. Don't think I missed anything though except for the Fight Club thing. Had problems with the "Blue Stripes" quest though, but beat it with some luck.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On all official press releases, the title claim will be accompanied by a tiny disclaimer reading "since 2010"

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
CD Projekt said:
We will combine story driven and open world rpgs for the first time
6ZsjbQR.gif

hiver

:lol:

/

I seem to remember that there was one instance or two... where i had to fight someone inside some quest... ah yes... when you are forced to liberate those two assholes from the gallows.
Almost couldnt do it. Took 20-30 reloads for me.
And of course... no option to just let the faggots hang.

Also at the end of chapter two when you get back into the town, if you make a certian choice - humans are going around killing all non-humans and i couldnt then deal with any of them non-violently.
And all that because they made a console version and then ported it to PC.

CDprojekt yeaaahhhh! for fuck sake....even bioware didnt piss me off that much.

Because there is a lot of the game that is actually pretty good. Thats what makes it worse.

Mrowak

Arcane
The fact that QTEs "don't last long" isn't a good argument, Mrowak. Of course they don't last long, they're meant to simulate fast-paced cinematic action moments.

They are VERY few of them and they are VERY short. To bash the game over such a triviality is mindboggling to me. I just cannot see why they are such a problem here. I mean, TW2 has a lot of other problems (goddamn cutscenes and mutilated dialogue options for starters), but everyone here just appears to nitpick about non-issue. I half-suspect that some of the people on the 'Dex are parroting what some random dudes are saying without any actual knowledge of the game.

I mean, the game is 30 hours long... and the only bad thing you remember about it does not constitute even 0.01% of its content?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Nah, walking allows players to soak in all the dat-atmosphere.

Atmosphere is just filler. If you aren't punching a goblin in the face in a QTE between long spouts of meaningful dialog where every choice changes the game 180°, it's not a proper rpg.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Nah, walking allows players to soak in all the dat-atmosphere.

Atmosphere is just filler. If you aren't punching a goblin in the face in a QTE between long spouts of meaningful dialog where every choice changes the game 180°, it's not a proper rpg.
I wouldn't worry if I were you, CDPR are trying to cater to both tastes, and I've no doubt they'll succeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom