Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

potatojohn

Arcane
Cyberpunk2077-2023-09-21-21-56-09-452.png

In 2.0 you can pet random women

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I mean, I do like the game, but it's definitely shit by design. There's no real choices in dialogues, RPG mechanics are lacking and itemization is just horrendous. Instead of Borderlands, I wish we got Stalker, where there aren't weapon rarities and incremental DPS increases and just base types with mods. (Why isn't there a mod for this still????)

Well, fuck me. They actually did it. That's some serious incline.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
played a bit. Something is weird with weapon pickup, as in they disappear. I have a sneaky feeling that if enemy is using weapon that game deems too powerful, its voided on pickup.

btw, lvled dmg is gone! you no longer have to replace/upgrade weapon every 2 lvls! If you upgrade your favourite toy to max, you are done!

Dunno what is this about stamina, never saw any issue while shooting?

Police... isnt good. Took fenrir(its shock weapon now that can release emp/stun) found good defensive position and started shooting. Was able to get to 4 stars quickly and was destroying endless stream of kevlar enemies. However, never metaxa.
Then after 15s of when I stopped shooting, all agro was gone. Left my spot, there was a BIG blue man crowd, vehicles and all, but they stopped pursuing.
I wonder if i couldnt get metaxa due to low lvl or i was losing agro faster than i could amass those kills. Or perhaps you are expected to be visible all the time.

Perks are very limited, you no longer can amass them early by lvling each weapon a bit

Steezus

Savant
Patron
played a bit. Something is weird with weapon pickup, as in they disappear. I have a sneaky feeling that if enemy is using weapon that game deems too powerful, its voided on pickup.

They all seem to drop their weapons for me so far, but for some reason, they aren't marked with an icon tho.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Level scaling is something you do when you have given up on proper balancing. The easy way. The Bethesda way.
Level scaling is something that matters in an RPG. CDPR makes action adventures with some choices about which way to pew pew you want to use. It's about as much of an RPG as Borderlands and less of an RPG than anything Bethesda has put out, including Starfield.
In fairness, Cyberpunk 2077 is probably more of an RPG than Bethesda Softworks' Wayne Gretzky Hockey.

16353229-wayne-gretzky-hockey-amiga-editing-a-team-roster.png

Perhaps not.

Gargaune

Arcane
The policemen won't spawn behind you anymore, it's true. Now they'll just spawn the entire car instead.
I read the first bit and I was like "wow, really?" and then I read the second bit and went "oh, right, of course that's what they did." :lol:

btw, lvled dmg is gone! you no longer have to replace/upgrade weapon every 2 lvls! If you upgrade your favourite toy to max, you are done!
Now that sounds interesting, so weapons have fixed base damage now? For example, how does it work between a shotgun dropped at level 10 versus level 20?

I wonder if i couldnt get metaxa
You can find some on Amazon.

Caim

Arcane
Level scaling is something you do when you have given up on proper balancing. The easy way. The Bethesda way.
Level scaling is something that matters in an RPG. CDPR makes action adventures with some choices about which way to pew pew you want to use. It's about as much of an RPG as Borderlands and less of an RPG than anything Bethesda has put out, including Starfield.
In fairness, Cyberpunk 2077 is probably more of an RPG than Bethesda Softworks' Wayne Gretzky Hockey.

16353229-wayne-gretzky-hockey-amiga-editing-a-team-roster.png

Perhaps not.
lmao Canadiens

racofer

Thread Incliner
The game runs about as well as it did before today's update and I'm on what one would call a toaster. Ryzen 5, gtx 1080... everything is the same level.
Guess the req increases were only meant for people that can take advantage of all the DLSS/Raytracing bells and whistles...and the focus on SSDs.
I noticed the same, although high crowd density is more taxing for whatever reason. It's just a bunch of braindead NPCs, there's no reason for it being so heavy.

I'm yet to see someone pull the crowd behavior as well as the new Hitman games. They managed to place dozens of NPCs on screen with minuscule system requirements, and it works perfectly for the immersion they aimed for.

hitman1.jpg

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
2.0 seems to run slightly better for me (4090, Ryzen 7 78003D). With everything maxed and experimental RT on, I'd sometimes dip into high 50s in very crowded areas, especially if I started a fight with the cops. But now the lowest I've dropped to is 66, and when I'm driving I'm in the 80s. This is on Quality DLSS, though. If I turn it on balanced, I'm frequently hitting my framerate limit of 98.

Also, DLSS 3.5 is awesome. Honestly, this game is so good looking it's almost too distracting to play.

Gargaune

Arcane
Gloomhaven has level scaling, and it's better than most of the Codex favorites.
Dungeons & motherfucking Dragons has level scaling as a core mechanic, that's what Challenge Ratings are for, the issue is scope and application. If you've got a large, open game world that the player can explore in a nonlinear fashion, coupled with a wide progression range, it makes sense that you'll tailor encounters to their level lest all challenge evaporate after a certain point. But repetition and linearity are key aspects. Say the party passes an abandoned grain mill and they encounter and defeat three goblins. If they come back to the area later, after a few more levels, they should find something like a) another three goblins, or b) two goblins and a bugbear, or c) nothing at all if you don't plan on using respawns. What they shouldn't ever find is three dragons! Not even if they've gained twenty levels since.

And this is a concept that's not lost on videogame designers, it's partial scaling. NWN, for instance, uses dynamic encounters that are typically configured within a certain range exactly as I've described above. Bethesda, having gotten tons of stick for their Daedric-totic bandits back in Oblivion, eventually applied a reasonable partial scaling mechanic in Fallout 4 - areas will scale their encounters to the player's level, but only upon the first visit, following which they remain locked.

The problem that CDPR will face with level scaling in Night City is that it's both highly non-linear and very repetitive - you can roam around wherever you please and you'll be going through the same areas again and again and again. And its fifty levels constitute a very wide progression range too, another issue with modern videogame design. If CDPR just let things scale freely, it's quite possible the game will quickly undermine the player's sense of achievement as literally every shithead ganger across Night City is leveling up with them. Might as well throw in some Oblivion Gates.

ind33d

Learned
Level scaling isn't the problem, encounter scaling is. The game never properly escalates from being a street thug to raiding Arasaka because the part of the game where you were supposed to be working with Jackie is gone. Why they would put an expansion pack AFTER the timeskip is completely braindead

KVVRR

Learned

Dunno what is this about stamina, never saw any issue while shooting?

Police... isnt good. Took fenrir(its shock weapon now that can release emp/stun) found good defensive position and started shooting. Was able to get to 4 stars quickly and was destroying endless stream of kevlar enemies. However, never metaxa.
Then after 15s of when I stopped shooting, all agro was gone. Left my spot, there was a BIG blue man crowd, vehicles and all, but they stopped pursuing.
I wonder if i couldnt get metaxa due to low lvl or i was losing agro faster than i could amass those kills. Or perhaps you are expected to be visible all the time.

Perks are very limited, you no longer can amass them early by lvling each weapon a bit
Maxtec only drops in certain parts of the map I'm pretty sure. Needs to be somewhat open so anywhere in the city that's surrounded by highways or high buildings is a no-no for them, at least in my experience.

racofer

Thread Incliner
So it seems the stealth netrunner build is dead. Bravo CDPR. Everything now requires some sort of gunplay to be viable.

I will never understand this obsession of modern devs with nerfing and autistically balancing single-player games. Same goes for the retarded nu-gamers screeching about "op" builds.

The horror of people having fun with broken builds in single-player.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
So it seems the stealth netrunner build is dead. Bravo CDPR. Everything now requires some sort of gunplay to be viable.
Boss fights in the launch version disabled most of your hacks, so you still needed to lug around a gun back then too.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
For some reason they left in the HDD optimization setting in 'GAMEPLAY' and it's ON by default.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
THEY FINALLY DID IT
THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN
They fixed the sleeping animation!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom