Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Celebrating 20 years of RPG News (NSFW)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Good begging should be rewarded

Gargaune

Magister
The simple fact that it's impossible to give away a sealed and signed copy of PoE—that hardly anyone is willing merely to receive it and allow it to occupy 0.2 m³ of space in their home—is truly the best result I could have hoped for.

As such, its fate may end up being to occupy its own anti-shrine, let's say a rectangular patch of bare floor in a corner of the garage marked off neatly with black electrical tape, the box centered within that perimeter, and with a small laminated placard off to one side that reads: "You will never be able to utilize this space for anything worthwhile."
If the others are happy to forgo it, just slap a posit with "no, thanks" on it and mail it back to Sawyer.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The simple fact that it's impossible to give away a sealed and signed copy of PoE—that hardly anyone is willing merely to receive it and allow it to occupy 0.2 m³ of space in their home—is truly the best result I could have hoped for.

As such, its fate may end up being to occupy its own anti-shrine, let's say a rectangular patch of bare floor in a corner of the garage marked off neatly with black electrical tape, the box centered within that perimeter, and with a small laminated placard off to one side that reads: "You will never be able to utilize this space for anything worthwhile."
If the others are happy to forgo it, just slap a posit with "no, thanks" on it and mail it back to Sawyer.

That has to be one YUGE game box :lol: For context, a guy of about 100kg or so would only be 0.1m³ in volume.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'd take it if you're seriously trying to get rid of it.
If I were merely trying to get rid of it, it'd be in the trash.

That has to be one YUGE game box :lol: For context, a guy of about 100kg or so would only be 0.1m³ in volume.
Nice catch. I multiplied L x W x H, but mistakenly divided the result by 12² rather than 12³. Actual value is about 0.015 m³.

Imperial moment.

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Ritual destruction seems overly petty over something as mediocre as PoE. It doesn't deserve hate, it just deserves to be forgotten.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Ritual destruction seems overly petty over something as mediocre as PoE. It doesn't deserve hate, it just deserves to be forgotten.
It's not just about PoE, it's about what it represents: the whole kickstarter era and the false promises of salvation it held.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Matthew 24:24 said:
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
It's not just about PoE, it's about what it represents: the whole kickstarter era and the false promises of salvation it held.
I still remember the sheer fucking euphoria of watching kickstarters for old school games succeed one after, heroes of old rising up to fight the decline. I was so young and full of hope.
:negative:

Modron

Arcane
I still remember the sheer fucking euphoria of watching kickstarters for old school games succeed one after, heroes of old rising up to fight the decline. I was so young and full of hope.
:negative:
Never really fell for the big kickstarter memery, I was for a moment excited when Chris Roberts was going to make another Wing Commander then I watched the pitch and it was 90% about mmo shit and wrote it off.

Mostly just ended up backing things from smaller indie companies with established track records or games I had been following for a few years with demonstrable progress. Plus a few point and click adventure games because those can be made by solitary individual in his spare time even if the funding dries up and still come out.

"What is this jewel that gives your keep its name?" He asked him as they sat talking over their emptied gold plates and gold goblets in the cavernous, candlelit dining-hall.
"You have not heard of it? It is a famous thing."
"No. I know only that the Lords of the Codex have famous treasuries."
"Ah, this jewel outshines them all. Come, would you like to see it?"

He smiled, with a look of mockery and daring, as if a little afraid of what he did, and led the young man from the hall, out through the narrow corridors of the base of the tower, and down stairs underground to a locked door he had not seen before.
This he unlocked with a silver key, looking up at the Newfag with that same smile as he did so, as if he dared him to come on with him. Beyond the door was a short passage and a second door, which he unlocked with a gold key, and beyond that again a third door, which he unlocked with one of the Great N-Words of Unbinding. Within the last door, his candle showed them a small room like a dungeon-cell: floor, walls, ceiling all of big-boxes, unfurnished, blank.

"Do you see it?" Blaine asked.
As the Newfag looked around the room his wizard's eye caught one box of those that made the floor. It was scuffed and dank as the rest, a heavy, ungainly big-box: yet he felt the power of it as if it spoke to him aloud. And his breath caught in his throat, and a sickness came over him for a moment. This was the foundingbox of the collection. This was the central place, and it was cold, bitter cold; nothing could ever warm that little room. This was a very ancient thing: an old and terrible spirit was prisoned in that box of cardboard. He did not answer Blaine yes or no, but stood still, and presently, with a quick curious glance at him, he pointed out the box. "That is Pillars of Eternity. Do you wonder that we keep so precious a jewel locked away in our deepest boardroom?"

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

"What is this jewel that gives your keep its name?" He asked him as they sat talking over their emptied gold plates and gold goblets in the cavernous, candlelit dining-hall.
"You have not heard of it? It is a famous thing."
"No. I know only that the Lords of the Codex have famous treasuries."
"Ah, this jewel outshines them all. Come, would you like to see it?"

He smiled, with a look of mockery and daring, as if a little afraid of what he did, and led the young man from the hall, out through the narrow corridors of the base of the tower, and down stairs underground to a locked door he had not seen before.
This he unlocked with a silver key, looking up at the Newfag with that same smile as he did so, as if he dared him to come on with him. Beyond the door was a short passage and a second door, which he unlocked with a gold key, and beyond that again a third door, which he unlocked with one of the Great N-Words of Unbinding. Within the last door, his candle showed them a small room like a dungeon-cell: floor, walls, ceiling all of big-boxes, unfurnished, blank.

"Do you see it?" Blaine asked.
As the Newfag looked around the room his wizard's eye caught one box of those that made the floor. It was scuffed and dank as the rest, a heavy, ungainly big-box: yet he felt the power of it as if it spoke to him aloud. And his breath caught in his throat, and a sickness came over him for a moment. This was the foundingbox of the collection. This was the central place, and it was cold, bitter cold; nothing could ever warm that little room. This was a very ancient thing: an old and terrible spirit was prisoned in that box of cardboard. He did not answer Blaine yes or no, but stood still, and presently, with a quick curious glance at him, he pointed out the box. "That is Pillars of Eternity. Do you wonder that we keep so precious a jewel locked away in our deepest boardroom?"
That's from one of the Elric books, as I recall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom