Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your top 1 FPS game

The top 1 FPS game

• Total voters

Eisen

Learned
Based on what i've seen on the internet, these are the most cited ones.

Ash

Arcane
Swap Duke 3D for Blood. This retroactive scrubbing of the legendary status of Duke 3D is unacceptable. That game is probably my #1 FPS, and it is simply better than Blood no question.

Merge Doom 1 & 2 together. They're basically the same game anyway. 2 is more like an expansion pack.

After this, yup, poll will be gold standard. Leaving out Shadow Warrior, Unreal, even Half Life doesn't feel right, and yet at the same time it does.

Eisen

Learned
Swap Duke 3D for Blood. This retroactive scrubbing of the legendary status of Duke 3D is unacceptable. That game is probably my #1 FPS, and it is simply better than Blood no question.
Added Duke 3D

Merge Doom 1 & 2 together. They're basically the same game anyway. 2 is more like an expansion pack.
Seems some people are divided. 1 has a better level design while 2 has the double-barreled shotgun, and some little details that makes 1 > 2 and vice-versa, hmmmm

Ash

Arcane
They've always essentially been the same game to me. But if you have to pick one the choice is clear: Doom 2 because yes, dbl barrel shottie, new enemies + pretty much every doom mod is based upon Doom 2.

Added Duke 3D, but did not remove blood. :negative:
Well now you need to add Shadow warrior then. Duke 3D/Shadow Warrior/Blood is the "Holy Build Trinity".

Blood was relatively unknown and unappreciated until recently, when fans ressurected it from the dead with source ports and then nightdive rereleased it. This resulted in a surge of popularity the game definitely deserved, but it's gone too far the other way -- this is NOT better than the legend Duke Nukem 3D. I'd even say not better than Shadow Warrior, but people often disagree with that one and that doesn't bother me nearly as much.

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
Doom2 because they weren't afraid of "more of the same" / "turning the crank". IF ONLY other devs learned from this instead of giving in to spectacular new ideas and never have solid foundation in retrospect.

Eisen

Learned
Blood was relatively unknown and unappreciated until recently, when fans ressurected it from the dead with source ports and then nightdive rereleased it. This resulted in a surge of popularity the game definitely deserved, but it's gone too far the other way -- this is NOT better than the legend Duke Nukem 3D. I'd even say not better than Shadow Warrior, but people often disagree with that one and that doesn't bother me nearly as much.
Even though i agree with you, removing Blood would be "cheating", in the end, i've added SW, finishing the "Holy Build Trinity"

Eisen

Learned
Fuck the poll, I choose Unreal Tournament
The games on the poll follows the formula "go through level and shoot enemies". UT singleplayer is several matches vs bots

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Yeah Doom 2 has the *BOOMSTICK* which rules. But once you get to earth, the levels are all too confusing and I spend 90% of my playtime not shooting the boomstick, but wandering around and scratching my head with the barrel while I look at the map as would a lost tourist. So I vote Doom.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Dunno, i liked all of these equally.
This poll is missing kingcomrade option or something.

TC Jr

Scholar
Doom 1's my go-to for just having fun and I'll never get sick of it. I really enjoy Blood but (at least for me) you have to pay a lot more attention and can't really afford to chill out.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Doom's my favorite for mods, but when we're talking about the vanilla experience, you can't beat Quake. In terms of how the game just feels to play, it's unmatched. The best movement in any first-person game, and the best explosives in any game. Any game that includes a rocket launcher or a grenade launcher should look to Quake to see how it's done best. With how well the game controls, you can pull off cool-looking maneuvers effortlessly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom