Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Master

Arbiter
It had nice eerie music, nice pacing with lots of stuff going on. What's the problem? Not enough environmental storytelling? Also alternating between the droid and Exile enhanced that feeling of breaking out of a place. I never got that feeling in DM.
Oh yeah it also had Kreia in it - nuff said.

Master

Arbiter
Corridors you have to walk through? Enemies that try to kill you? Preposterous!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It had nice eerie music, nice pacing with lots of stuff going on. What's the problem? Not enough environmental storytelling? Also alternating between the droid and Exile enhanced that feeling of breaking out of a place. I never got that feeling in DM.

I struggle to comprehend how someone could love Peragus but also hate Dead Money.

:philosoraptor:

As others have pointed out, they are incredibly similar (right down to Elijah and Kreia telling you what to do remotely). Dead Money does a much better job of making you feel trapped and virtually powerless. There's plenty of environmental storytelling in Peragus: all those corpses. The knock on Peragus is that it's too long. Dead Money felt a lot tighter.

Sentinel

Arcane
What's the problem?
the endless waves of enemies and annoyingly long corridors
But that's accurate for literally all of KOTOR 2.
But Peragus is the "escape" level. Nothing happens there, it just starts the game, and it takes too long at getting you on your way to start your adventure. It feels more like a barrier than a level. Plus the robot sections are fucking awful.

Master

Arbiter

I struggle to comprehend how someone could love Peragus but also hate Dead Money.

As others have pointed out, they are incredibly similar (right down to Elijah and Kreia telling you what to do remotely).

They are simmilar but Elijah is a step down compared to Kreia. His talk is all about him, same as the rest of NV vilains, and Shodan, Ryan etc, while Kreyas talk is about the player which I haven't seen done elsewhere.

What's the problem?
the endless waves of enemies and annoyingly long corridors
But that's accurate for literally all of KOTOR 2.
But Peragus is the "escape" level. Nothing happens there, it just starts the game, and it takes too long at getting you on your way to start your adventure. It feels more like a barrier than a level. Plus the robot sections are fucking awful.
To start your adventure? But the adventure has already started, Sentinel...
latest

:cool:

2house2fly

Magister

As others have pointed out, they are incredibly similar (right down to Elijah and Kreia telling you what to do remotely).

They are simmilar but Elijah is a step down compared to Kreia. His talk is all about him, same as the rest of NV vilains, and Shodan, Ryan etc, while Kreyas talk is about the player which I haven't seen done elsewhere.
Ah, like Ulysses.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Man, Kreia was the best, wasn't she?

Hey Chris Avellone, did this autist get it right in his nearly two-fucking-hour long video?

Also, is it a nice compliment as a writer when nerds sperg out over something you made so heartily and zestily? Or is it like 'dude, I came up with half that shit while taking one, so calm it the way down go kiss a girl'?

Either way, where can I send a SASE for your autograph?

Master

Arbiter

Ah, like Ulysses.

Oh you mean Ulysses, man with the audio logs? where he talks about himself extensively (where did i see that before:philosoraptor:

But i dont remember Kreia having her personal holograms scattered across the galaxy. Also i dont remeber her being full of shit.(maybe a little)

2house2fly

Magister
Everything Ulysses says to the player is about the player. The audio logs serve as background, confirmation that he is not just putting on a performance for your benefit when he speaks to you. Except in the ways that he is, of course.

As for Kreia, of course she's full of shit. She's the villain. She spends the entire game lying to you and plotting behind your back.

Master

Arbiter
Oh boy I'm so not getting into this conversation. Suffice to say that Kreia is not the fucking vilain. How and why I'll leave it to you to (re)discover.

Sentinel

Arcane
Everything Ulysses says to the player is about the player. The audio logs serve as background, confirmation that he is not just putting on a performance for your benefit when he speaks to you. Except in the ways that he is, of course.

As for Kreia, of course she's full of shit. She's the villain. She spends the entire game lying to you and plotting behind your back.
Kreia isn't really a villain. She just has her head way up her own butt and REALLY wants to prove both orders wrong for some reason, even at the expense of her own life.

2house2fly

Magister
"Villain" is an over simplification but the point is she's the end boss, and her character is built around the fact that she is someone you will defeat

Neanderthal

Arcane
I think in the end Kreia realises that shes become a little like Nihlus, a slave to her obsession, that of defeating the binary tyranny of the force. Shes let that (arguably righteous) goal take over her life, excused any excesses because of it, and basically began aping what she hopes to defeat. She sees the exile for what he is, and realises where she has gone wrong, and so forces a confrontation to end her struggle and failure. What I like about her most though is the fact shes very flawed in various ways, speciesist, manipulative, unempathic, overproud, the list goes on and is refreshing in an age where mostly only mary sues are used for portrayal of women.

I never thought of her as my characters enemy, i'd have gladly joined her in her crusade against the force if given the option.

Elijah meanwhile I saw as a blind man, a genius who kept sinking lower and lower due to the failures he'd suffered, to have so much ability and still lose must be a hell of a whip, and he'd never realise this as hes become a total slave to his obsession. He lives in the bitter past and golden future, never the present where he must self examine.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Peragus is a fine introduction to the characters, it sets up cool mystery, the quests are fun, it has some unexpected twists.

It's just that all of the good things about Peragus are lost in fucking gigantic empty levels, huge fucking corridors, vast empty spaces with almost nothing to interact with.

So I guess I would say that the content is good, it's just that there is not enough of it. So it feels as if the game is deliberately wasting your time by having you run around all of this empty space, and by the time you finally stumble upon some content, you're already fucking pissed off and you're not able to enjoy it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the problem with peragus mainly is really for second or 3rd playtrough because it doesnt offer much choices content varied enough that it basically slogs when go trough it second, third or the dozenth

Master

Arbiter
It's just that all of the good things about Peragus are lost in fucking gigantic empty levels, huge fucking corridors, vast empty spaces with almost nothing to interact with.
This is all intended! The emptiness of spaces signifies the giant Force hole of the Exile left by the War and what happened... Remember how the Exile is literally a "Wound" in the Force, feeding on death? Well is it an accident that the game starts in a hollowed out asteroid filled with corpses? No! And having no one to interact with is because Exile is cut from the Force and cant bond with anyone except with Kreia(who he has a literal force bond with) and the Force sensitives he picks along the way. Yes! This is all obviously the intended subtlety of Magnificent Christ Avellone!

All right, I have an inappropriate, invasive question that I don't expect an answer to, but I'm going to ask anyway.

(spoiled so he doesn't have to look at her face again)
latest

Why would someone who isn't already in a relationship object to getting sexually harassed by that cutie? I would have put the horns on Chris Parker if I were in that situation (after telling him his wife has a wandering eye [and hands?] of course. Slinking is so undignified). Not anymore since she's going bald and has the crazy eyes, but I'm reasonably confident she was still in the prime of her life when she was conducting herself in an inappropriate manner (the photo's from 2010).

(side note: I saw Sawyer being all friendly on her facebook page which I find extremely amusing. Guess she's not harassing him [or is she????])
Help me out Codexians. Who is this girl and what is the story between her and Chris?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Hey Chris Avellone, did this autist get it right in his nearly two-fucking-hour long video?
If I'm not going to watch some random dude for 2 hours on a prolonged weekend, drunk and with nothing else to do, neither is Chris.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom