Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone grows a pair and fights back against being cancelled

Harthwain

Magister
It's not that simple. The industry is heavily influenced by USA and that country is like a big pile of crap slowly draining on other countries as well. Somehow anything that happens in US is worth imitating which is so funny it's not even funny anymore.
O rly?

Battle Brothers is German. Solasta: Crown of the Magister and The Dungeon of Nahuibek are both French. Death Stranding is Japanese. Divinity: Original Sin series and Baldur's Gate 3 are Belgian. The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 are Polish. Kingdom Come: Deliverance and ARMA are Czech. Total War series is made by British, Minecraft and Europa Universalis/Hearts of Iron/Crusader Kings are Swedish, Disco Elysium comes from Estonia...

If it was only US everyone else would just laugh at how dumb you guys are. Because you are so dumb it hurts. Everything you do is against all logic that ever existed.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
It's not that simple. The industry is heavily influenced by USA and that country is like a big pile of crap slowly draining on other countries as well. Somehow anything that happens in US is worth imitating which is so funny it's not even funny anymore.
O rly?

Battle Brothers is German. Solasta: Crown of the Magister and The Dungeon of Nahuibek are both French. Death Stranding is Japanese. Divinity: Original Sin series and Baldur's Gate 3 are Belgian. The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 are Polish. Kingdom Come: Deliverance and ARMA are Czech. Total War series is made by British, Minecraft and Europa Universalis/Hearts of Iron/Crusader Kings are Swedish, Disco Elysium comes from Estonia...

If it was only US everyone else would just laugh at how dumb you guys are. Because you are so dumb it hurts. Everything you do is against all logic that ever existed.

He has a point, though, in a cultural way. Lots of younger people in European game studios are very influenced by the modern Twitter US culture.

cosmin haraga

Novice
my penny
to me it looks like entrapment, the ugly girl revenge thing.
the k girl practically set him up from the beginning, maybe she was mad for being ignored by a somewhat known playboy. it happens.
she was living their relation as j girl's best friend. we all know the type : the one that whispers in your girlfriend's ear all the crazy female tests and finding ways you failed ...
or maybe I'm just bitter over torment 2

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
she was living their relation as j girl's best friend. we all know the type : the one that whispers in your girlfriend's ear all the crazy female tests and finding ways you failed ...
Nah. Chris just failed a simple perception/wisdom/streetwise check when Karissa suggested he should hit on her friend. That's woman talk for "I really want you but cant admit it or want to initiate anything, so I'll set you up with my best friend and hopefully be close to you that way."

If a single girl suggests you to date a friend of hers, she secretly wants you to date her instead. The only "trustworthy" people that set you up with their friends, are girls in relationships/married chicks, and even then half they time they want you for themselves anyway.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nah. Chris just failed a simple perception/wisdom/streetwise check when Karissa suggested he should hit on her friend. That's woman talk for "I really want you but cant admit it or want to initiate anything, so I'll set you up with my best friend and hopefully be close to you that way."

If a single girl suggests you to date a friend of hers, she secretly wants you to date her instead. The only "trustworthy" people that set you up with their friends, are girls in relationships/married chicks, and even then half they time they want you for themselves anyway.
You forget she has a child. One can totally understand MCA for not wanting to get involved with a woman that has offspring with someone else.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
To update an RPG list:

Australia - Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
Britain - Kenshi
Canada - Outward
Czech Republic - Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Finland - Legend of Grimrock, Legend of Grimrock II
France - Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, Solasta: Crown of the Magister
Japan - Demon's/Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma
Korea - Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
Poland - The Witcher series
Serbia - UnderRail
Various - Age of Decadence

kA3m1cp.png

Dycedarg

Learned
To update an RPG list:

Australia - Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
Britain - Kenshi
Canada - Outward
Czech Republic - Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Finland - Legend of Grimrock, Legend of Grimrock II
France - Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, Solasta: Crown of the Magister
Japan - Demon's/Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma
Korea - Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
Poland - The Witcher series
Serbia - UnderRail
Various - Age of Decadence

kA3m1cp.png

Not to mention Pathfinder Kingmaker and ATOM from Russia. About the influence of the US in rpgs, if you go by all those titles one by one, it's pretty clear that most of them were inspired by american rpgs, especially from the 90's and early 00's. On the other hand, most good wrpgs in the last decade were not made in the US. It will be interesting to see which of those games will become references for new developers. But judging by numbers alone, the US influence in this (admittedly niche) market tends to go down.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
These are all knockoffs of better American products though.
The only major non-American influence on the cRPG market is Gothic.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only major non-American influence on the cRPG market is Gothic.

Go on, list the products you mean. I will wait and in the meanwhile do something worthwhile with my time, like I don't know, masturbate or read a book about ancient Rome.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
About the influence of the US in rpgs, if you go by all those titles one by one, it's pretty clear that most of them were inspired by american rpgs, especially from the 90's and early 00's.
There are two types of RPGs: Dungeons & Dragons and games derived from Dungeons & Dragons. :M

For that matter, the first CRPGs were created on America's PLATO system shortly after the publication of D&D, and after the development of microcomputers personal computers the vast majority of commercially-released computer RPGs were American-made for many years. Nearly every major subgenre of CRPG was established by an American-developed game. Nonetheless, in our current era of hemi-semi-demi-incline, American RPG developers have been overtaken by their overseas contenders, who have harkened back to past RPG classics in order to move the genre forward.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, only somewhat related to the main thread, but amused me greatly. cherry blossom stuck me on ignore.

I wonder whether it was my remarks about women and drinking or the revelations about Jacqui.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Also, only somewhat related to the main thread, but amused me greatly. cherry blossom stuck me on ignore.

I wonder whether it was my remarks about women and drinking or the revelations about Jacqui.
Fuck that pussy. Her/His lack of integrity is disturbing. We don't know for sure what he/she is.

TF

Educated
The American/Bethesda version of Kingdom Come Deliverance would be pretty hilarious in its po-faced, estro-woke, anachronism laden anti-glory

Dycedarg

Learned
There are two types of RPGs: Dungeons & Dragons and games derived from Dungeons & Dragons. :M

CRPGS have existed since the 70's and all are somewhat derived from D&D. As such, saying that a game was influenced by Dungeons & Dragons is pretty much redundant. In fact, games as different as the original Fallout and the Dragon Quest series can be put on that same category, which just shows how broad it is.

But Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment are pretty different between themselves. And for most of the games mentioned here, it's pretty obvious which of those three was the major source of inspiration.

Nearly every major subgenre of CRPG was established by an American-developed game. Nonetheless, in our current era of hemi-semi-demi-incline, American RPG developers have been overtaken by their overseas contenders, who have harkened back to past RPG classics in order to move the genre forward

True. And since most of the genre was created and developed in America they had no choice but to go back the genre's roots, which was exactly my point. And the next step would be for non-american rpgs (which are mostly european) to influence future developers. On that regard, I think Dark Souls' influence in the action rpg subgenre is the most notable success story.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Interesting. I had assumed cherry blossom was just trolling, but typically trolls won't ignore the people they are trying to troll as that would defeat the purpose. I suppose this is some evidence that cherry blossom is partly sincere in what they say, or at least that they somewhat believe the statements they are using to try to troll.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Interesting. I had assumed cherry blossom was just trolling, but typically trolls won't ignore the people they are trying to troll as that would defeat the purpose. I suppose this is some evidence that cherry blossom is partly sincere in what they say, or at least that they somewhat believe the statements they are using to try to troll.

So it's time to get the promethium?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

So it's time to get the promethium?
Always has been

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm not from kwanzania, but doesn't it mean he will have to convice every single one of them that Karissa was unquestionably malicious, random hoes included, in order to win ?
If yes, then like what the fuck is wrong with him, how out of touch with reality you can be ?

Yes. His high-priced lawyers believed this was less risky than a bench trial.
Idk civil libel burden of proof, but it’s not uncommon for civil suits to have a lower burden of proof for conviction against the defendant, ie 51% for civil conviction vs “overwhelming” for criminal. The OJ Simpson case in the US is the first example of this that comes to mind - the government couldn’t get a guilty verdict because each and every juror needed to be convinced "beyond a reasonable doubt" of his guilt. They were not, and he was acquitted of the criminal charges. Unlike the criminal prosecution, he was found guilty in civil trial because each juror just had to agree that it was “more likely than not” that he was guilty of the charges, which is commonly thought of as being a > 51% chance of guilt. I'm not sure what "beyond a reasonable doubt" would be in percentages, probably 90 or 95%.

this is also why every time there’s a cop shooting there’s civil charges brought as well as state / federal. It’s a lower bar of proof to secure a conviction aka get $$$$.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom