Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone grows a pair and fights back against being cancelled

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uploaded the complaint to a Google Drive for you all: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10OhSIA8nfLzCTtv28Dw-f7OPumJmOUsb/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if you have any issues.
Downloaded no issues.
EXTREME TL;DR-
It's 19 pages of suits made on counts of libel and all the other pages are the exhibits of evidence- Screencaps, Journalist hitpieces, the works.
Six counts of libel for causing damage to reputation, employ-ability, mental whatsit and all that old hat.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Holy fuck, I bet MCA planned this from the beginning. He waited out the 1 year to accumulate the most financial damage caused by this, then sued the bitches to hell and back. Our boy played the long play.
While possible, winning in court is only half the battle and collecting on a judgment can be easier said than done. Neither defendant seems to be financially successful and/or capable of paying much.

The Jester

Cipher
Big-mean-clobbering-machine.jpg

Delterius

Arcane
Holy fuck, I bet MCA planned this from the beginning. He waited out the 1 year to accumulate the most financial damage caused by this, then sued the bitches to hell and back. Our boy played the long play.
While possible, winning in court is only half the battle and collecting on a judgment can be easier said than done. Neither defendant seems to be financially successful and/or capable of paying much.
I don't think the financial damages matter in so much as they are part of his eventual moral victory. A bad actor like these defendants aren't in it just to ruin his life, but also to parade around a bit on twitter about how they ruined his life. To bask in the Hot Take economy as it were. But the part where Avellone said that he waited a year for them to babble about and ruin their own stories is something that I'm sure his own lawyer told him to consider.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
It'll still be pretty funny for these people to have a judgment against them and destroy their credit for life.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
It'll still be pretty funny for these people to have a judgment against them and destroy their credit for life.
While true, Avellone has to pay his attorney out of pocket. Delterius is right that there is a moral victory, but paying an attorney $10,000 - $20,000 to secure it kind of sucks.

Zayne

Scholar
What is there to celebrate? I mean, yeah, it's nice that he's decided to fight back, but I doubt that will change anything.

Even if Chris manages to get a victory in a court, and that's a really big "if", I really doubt anyone would hire him to work on RPGs again. Most gamedev companies are run by pussies and those which are not are still afraid of twitter lynching mob.

mondblut

Arcane
While true, Avellone has to pay his attorney out of pocket. Delterius is right that there is a moral victory, but paying an attorney $10,000 - $20,000 to secure it kind of sucks.

Is not the losing side supposed to cover the winning side's expenses?

I reckon "SJB" got 2 healthy young kidneys. I am afraid his "mama" will have to take one.

catfood

AGAIN
Isn't MCA filthy rich?

mondblut

Arcane
What is there to celebrate? I mean, yeah, it's nice that he's decided to fight back, but I doubt that will change anything.

Even if Chris manages to get a victory in a court, and that's a really big "if", I really doubt anyone would hire him to work on RPGs again. Most gamedev companies are run by pussies and those which are not are still afraid of twitter lynching mob.

RPGs?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

RPGs?
Yeah, he's gonna remake Descent into Undermountain once this is done.

Delterius

Arcane
as far as i'm concerned avellone's financial situation is very stable and reaches tommy wiseau levels of mystery

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Is not the losing side supposed to cover the winning side's expenses?

I reckon "SJB" got 2 healthy young kidneys. I am afraid his "mama" will have to take one.
Generally, in absence of a contractual obligation, each side is responsible for their own attorney's fees in the USA. Granted, I am no expert of California laws/statutes, etc.

[
Dude, you just spent $100 on 75 pages of Twitter screenshots. You're a hero, but I definitely won't take financial advice from you.
Honestly, I have no retort or comeback to this.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is the way to do it, if he lost, then he probably did it, if he wins (which from the accusations seems likely, if we ignore the double standards often affecting cases like this) then he's innocent.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

It's not about getting Chris back into the industry (I suspect he's not really looking for it), it's about justice. The fact that Chris decided to fight for justice is important. Of course, he might lose. But if earlier it seemed that there was no chance for justice, now Chris has restored our hope.

As for him working on new cRPGs, I believe he burned out long before this scandal, so I don't expect new games written by Chris at all. I just want him to live life to the fullest, spending his immeasurable wealth on entertainment and self-development and feeling like a winner.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Companies can’t even ask for time to “look into it” without coming across as not believing the accusations, as unfounded as they are, because even the hint of a delay or wanting to find out more will be judged and will get them canceled, too. And no one wants to get canceled, even if it means turning your back on someone else getting canceled, even someone you’d worked with in the trenches for years.

Regardless of intentions. Their actions don't look less immoral because they feared retaliation.

I hope that joining the pitchfork mob also has consequences too.

rojay

Scholar
Generally, in absence of a contractual obligation, each side is responsible for their own attorney's fees in the USA. Granted, I am no expert of California laws/statutes, etc.
That's true. It's also true that attorneys sometimes represent a party for a share of the judgment. It's called a "contingency" fee. Seems unlikely here, because attorneys generally only do that if they know there are assets from which a judgment can be satisfied at the end of the day - usually that's insurance. Insurance isn't really an option here because insurance doesn't cover intentional, wrongful acts and that's the most likely way to recover from these defendants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom