Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chris Avellone: Obsidian made multiple proposals to develop spin-offs for Fallout and The Elder Scrolls which were turned down by Bethesda

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some website rediscovered an old tweet by Chris Avellone. He commented on it again:

I was told about this at the time. Obsidian really wanted to become Bethesda's designated "B-team" studio but they were rejected. We lost out on good games because of Bethesda's idiotic inferiority complex towards FO:NV.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Scholar
Some website rediscovered an old tweet by Chris Avellone:

I was told about this at the time. Obsidian really wanted to become Bethesda's designated "B-team" studio but they were rejected. We lost out on good games because of Bethesda's idiotic inferiority complex towards FO:NV.

Avowed's troubled development proved that Bethesda was right, Obsidian can't be trusted even to make a B grade Oblivion. They had to work with Obsidian and probably had first hand experience on what a shitshow that studio is behind the scenes.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Some website rediscovered an old tweet by Chris Avellone:

Avowed's troubled development proved that Bethesda was right, Obsidian can't be trusted even to make a B grade Oblivion. They had to work with Obsidian and probably had first hand experience on what a shitshow that studio is behind the scenes.

Neither Obsidian, nor Bethesda can be trusted to make RPGs, I wish they'd just fuck off already and do something RPG-unrelated. This would create a hole in the market that some other studio would try to fill. Couldn't be worse.

Quillon

Arcane
you can't judge FNV era obs with today's wokesidian, if bethesda wasn't butthurt from FNV MCA's proposal woulda worked very well

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Making a game from scratch and making a game using someone else's tools and systems are two different things. With the experience and lessons learned from New Vegas, Bethbryo Game 2 likely would have been better (with regard to polish at least).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder if tyranny came first or the idea of what if TES villain won came first
One of Feargus's really old ideas that he wouldn't let go.
The game was originally called Fury, whose concept was created in 2006, and is set in "a world that had been laid waste by a magical apocalypse". The concept later became Defiance, whose concept is similar to that of Tyranny. Defiance, along with ideas of Obsidian's other projects later became Stormlands. As Stormlands was canceled, the company reconsidered the original idea of Defiance to make Tyranny

Didn't he hate the lore? Basically two of New Vegas DLCs made by him is about how much he hated the current lore.
He didn't like the post-post apocalypse status quo, which is why he wanted to be in charge of it.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Made the mistake of going to reddit to see if the general audience is dissapointed they didn't get Elder Scrolls made by Avellone. Big mistake. I want to whack these motherfucking morons!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElderScrol...thesda_denied_obsidian_to_make_tes_spin_offs/

F1luBoR.png

YKwROSj.png

Bunch of absolute dumb fucks circlejerking.. fucking wow! :argh:
Probably the type of wankers who thinks Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 has good writing.

Efe

Erudite
The post assumes beth was butthurt about FNV but it could be something simpler like feargus fucking the deal up with unreasonable demands.
Considering the state their games are released, seems to me like Bethesda isn't the kind of company that would be prideful or jealous

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The post assumes beth was butthurt about FNV but it could be something simpler like feargus fucking the deal up with unreasonable demands.
Considering the state their games are released, seems to me like Bethesda isn't the kind of company that would be prideful or jealous
They are very prideful. They used to blacklist sites for giving them bad reviews (us for Oblivion, Star Trek Gamers for their bad review of Star Trek Legacy). They banned Obsidian developers from posting at this particular forum when they were working on New Vegas.

And as Chris as mentioned there was internal resistance to letting Obsidian even do New Vegas in the first place.
They did, but it wasn't 100% willingly, speaking as someone who was in the room listening while the "challenges" to sharing it were being discussed by the Bethesda heads.

Finally, the Schrier leaks.
DQOp3H2WkAInw61.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:hmmm:

It is amazing how people talk about obvious shit decades later as if it is some kind of divine revelation. You must be retarded to not know that it was all about todd being a butthurt cuck for NV being a far better game that they could create.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

It is amazing how people talk about obvious shit decades later as if it is some kind of divine revelation. You must be retarded to not know that it was all about todd being a butthurt cuck for NV being a far better game that they could create.
Chris claims Todd was always on their side. It's some of the people above and below him that are the problem.

Todd's a good guy and was always nice and respectful toward us. In fact, he would often say that we should check with him whenever anyone in his studio would say, "well, Todd said..." because chances are, he didn't.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Chris claims Todd was always on their side. It's some of the people above and below him that are the problem.

Todd's a good guy and was always nice and respectful toward us. In fact, he would often say that we should check with him whenever anyone in his studio would say, "well, Todd said..." because chances are, he didn't.

Ahhh if anything,life had shown us that chris is very shitty judge of character. But sure,it could be that tod was the one good chap,but he is the lead of the people that create those games,clearly he is shit at that since they create only shit this days. Bathesda and obsidian drama was all about ego and butthurt,it is irrelevant which of the bathesda leads was the most butthurt.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
It still blows my mind that Microsoft apparently bought Bethesda for Bethesda the studio and not just their properties.

Like, the fact that a Fallout TV show is going to launch and there isn't going to be a game to sync up with it because Bethesda won't have another Fallout for 10 years is insane. Or that Elder Scrolls won't have another game for years to come.

Microsoft bought Bethesda and got what, Starfield? They should be doing exactly what Avellone suggested be done, putting other studios on interquels for Fallout and Elder Scrolls ASAP.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It still blows my mind that Microsoft apparently bought Bethesda for Bethesda the studio and not just their properties.

Like, the fact that a Fallout TV show is going to launch and there isn't going to be a game to sync up with it because Bethesda won't have another Fallout for 10 years is insane. Or that Elder Scrolls won't have another game for years to come.

Microsoft bought Bethesda and got what, Starfield? They should be doing exactly what Avellone suggested be done, putting other studios on interquels for Fallout and Elder Scrolls ASAP.
Fallout fatigue...
Seriously, this franchise was gone (arguably) the moment Bethesda acquired it.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant

Fallout fatigue...
Seriously, this franchise was gone (arguably) the moment Bethesda acquired it.
I'm not talking about the quality of the games, just money. They're sitting on money so that Bethesda can take 10 years to churn out a shitty game - when they could be letting other studios take a crack at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom