Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Codex Year of the Donut
saw little reason to prefer magic over crossbow
I did a magic/crossbow build btw, but most of the game I had no mana regen and I kept running out of shit to drink and alcohol is expensive

curds

Magister
I don't understand how you are wrapping the game so quickly. I expect I'll be at some 130 before I end it.
Are you the type of Gothic player who re-clears the map with every new chapter?
Are you not?
I am not. I see no reason to grind for exp/money in Gothic games - aside from autism. I am usually more than strong/rich enough by the late-midgame without doing so.

curds

Magister
Yeah, Chapter 4 wasn't great in terms of pacing (or quests) either. I just liked the subplot where you search for the assassin more than the dicking around with the scoundrels in chapter three (especially given what a cunt Cortez is) and the rather contrived dungeon expedition in Chapter 5. Anyway, the bottom line is that something needed to be cut.
a lot needed to be cut. There were many main story quests which felt like they were only there because the devs wanted to make a really long game, "outdoing" Gothic 2.

They probably could've cut it down to a 50-60 hour affair before release - about G2 length - and nobody would've felt that anything was missing.

curds

Magister
just stumbled across this review which sums up what I'm saying

qQ97gmL.png

Shadenuat

Arcane
it has to be noted that writing in this "game" is often bad because modders can't write, although try, and they can't make good quests, because making good quests is more difficult than popping houses and putting furniture into them, modeling giant cities, and all that, modders can do that, but creating interesting content - not their forte.
and the red herring plot that mostly ends in nothing with you having choice in also mostly nothing same.
by that I want to make comparison to Elex, where plot seems do be written deliberately retarded on purpose.
so, with all the flaws in writing, this mod still has better writing than modern PB.
although I liked Elex better for it allowing me to basically go anywhere anytime, do whatever, join anyone and progress, without a feeling of being railroaded.

curds

Magister
if you don't like picking turnips maybe these games aren't for you
Gothic 2 is like my favourite game, busywork like picking turnips was not the high point, however. But you only do that sort of quest once or twice in the whole game, so it's not a big deal. Archolos is great but it has many such quests.

Codex Year of the Donut
Gothic 2 is like my favourite game, busywork like picking turnips was not the high point, however. But you only do that sort of quest once or twice in the whole game, so it's not a big deal. Archolos is great but it has many such quests.
and it's why gothic 2 is a mediocre game and archolos is great

Shadenuat

Arcane
Myrtana did one particular farm and late game events for it nice (I mean farm in west).
Problem is there are like a ton of other dirt farmers starting from tutorial village so caring about 2d 3d 4th is hard and so you kinda give zero fucks.
Reminds me of amount of bosses in Eldern Ring vs. Bosses in DS discussion.

oddly enough tutorial village you spend time all these people with, but they don't actually have any serious trouble in their later events.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
so this is the actual gothic 3? is there going to be a kickstarter for a german sycnro? because i would actually pay for that.

morpheus0

Literate
hello guys, currently doing my first run as guard, str, 1handed build but i feel like i dont have much reach in combat, i currently have only 30% skill in 1h, should i just stick with it and go master or switch to 2h?

im at the point where i can learn alchemy 3 and chug str potions so I'll have access to bigger weapons very soon

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
hello guys, currently doing my first run as guard, str, 1handed build but i feel like i dont have much reach in combat, i currently have only 30% skill in 1h, should i just stick with it and go master or switch to 2h?

im at the point where i can learn alchemy 3 and chug str potions so I'll have access to bigger weapons very soon
I played majority of the game as a one handed fighter. Focusing on str/dex.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

I've completed the game with one-handed weapons (STR only). The only secondary combat skill I learned was shooting the crossbow as it also only requires strength. I rarely used it, though. So, you don't have to switch, but you can if want to.

On a side note: How many cameos of established Gothic characters are there in archolos? I've recognized Stone and Bloodwyn.

catfood

AGAIN

I've completed the game with one-handed weapons (STR only). The only secondary combat skill I learned was shooting the crossbow as it also only requires strength. I rarely used it, though. So, you don't have to switch, but you can if want to.

On a side note: How many cameos of established Gothic characters are there in archolos? I've recognized Stone and Bloodwyn.
The MC himself is a cameo. He is
Scar from the Old Camp.

morpheus0

Literate

my plan is to go 2handed and a little bit of crossbow since leaving it at 10% is useless.
i picked enough for 1h fighter early game to be faster, i guess its a small enough investment

i met homer in haven (pirates) and Nek near rita vineyard caves but i guess there's even more

Alphons

Cipher

Riordian (the novice for Water Mages)- he becomes the Water Mage and appears in every Gothic game.

Nek (Rita's guard that lost his talisman)- dead in Gothic, one of the quests from Old Camp is to find him. You bring his talisman back as proof he's dead.

Homer (slave in the pirate hideout who ends up in prison after you rescue him)- works on the rice fields in New Camp.

Kyle (Bermar's son who constructed a silo without doors)- guy that built his hut next to the ditch in the Old Camp and had one of his walls demolished to make a shortcut

Rupert (fellow refugee)- shopkeeper Mateo's apprentice in Khorinis

Plus Gomez appears in the cutscene at the end

Paul_cz

Arcane
I don't understand people whining about bad writing in this. To me it feels very down to earth and extremely close in quality to original two games.

Also the nonsense whines about it being too long and too many quests. Bitch please.

morpheus0

Literate
I don't understand people whining about bad writing in this. To me it feels very down to earth and extremely close in quality to original two games.

Also the nonsense whines about it being too long and too many quests. Bitch please.
im in chapter 3 and did almost every side quest so far, in my opinion the writing and story is really good and engaging, there's just a few hiccups here and there but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter
it is an amazing mod

curds

Magister
and it's why gothic 2 is a mediocre game and archolos is great
When you tell me Archolos is better because a higher percentage of its quests are mundane chores, that's when I know you are trolling.

It's not that it's too long, it's that it feels like it was padded out purely for the sake of making it longer.

Paul_cz

Arcane
It's not that it's too long, it's that it feels like it was padded out purely for the sake of making it longer.
Well, that's as you say a "feeling" and thus subjective. I have 105 hours in it so far and do not want it to end, so every quest I get is a pleasant find.

When I enjoy being in the game's world, for its atmosphere, vibe, music, characters etc, I don't mind even more mundane quests as long as they are not complete Bioware DA:I trash.

curds

Magister
Well, that's as you say a "feeling" and thus subjective.
Of course it's subjective, genius. What's the point of even saying that.

When I enjoy being in the game's world, for its atmosphere, vibe, music, characters etc, I don't mind even more mundane quests as long as they are not complete Bioware DA:I trash.
Look, I don't really mind all that much either, I liked soaking in the atmosphere, too. But I think if many of the chore quests were cut from the game before release no one would feel them missing. They're padding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom