Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Mauman

Learned
The mod reconciliates me with the fact that Piranha Bytes have forgotten how to do Gothic.
Archolos team is not gonna make another, so we still only have PB to make this exact type of RPG. Well them and who knows how the Gothic remake from Alkimia is going to end up.

Personally I liked Elex though (not as much as Archolos) and I am about to start Elex 2.
I wouldn't go that far. I still have hopes for History of Khorinis.

notpl

Arbiter
The mod reconciliates me with the fact that Piranha Bytes have forgotten how to do Gothic.
Archolos team is not gonna make another, so we still only have PB to make this exact type of RPG. Well them and who knows how the Gothic remake from Alkimia is going to end up.

Personally I liked Elex though (not as much as Archolos) and I am about to start Elex 2.
I wouldn't go that far. I still have hopes for History of Khorinis.

Even the jokes about it never coming out are 2+ years old at this point...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ain't gonna lie, this shit offers the authentic Gothic experience.

However it is considerably racist that locks reset upon reload :rpgcodex:

Last edited:
By the way,
many quests have multiple ways to solve and there are more consequences
No, check this guide that explains each quest in details, there is only one way to solve them ( for the most part): https://www.neoseeker.com/the-chronicles-of-myrtana-archolos/walkthrough/New_to_Archolos#wiki_nav
The only replay value lies in the 2 different factions.
Seems like you're right. I had the impression that many quests had at least two different ways to solve. But I remember at least that there are more consequences than the original games. E.g. how you treat your ship companions.

When do you get your gear back from the
guard quest 'Missing in Action'? Thought maybe it was in Salvi's chest but that was just attack plans. Then I figured maybe the next quest would be to attack the hideout and get it back then, but it's not. Do I just keep going and this happens eventually or is my save busted?

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I think at some point in this quest you're supposed to get a package with all your stuff in it. Just before the escape iirc.

I think at some point in this quest you're supposed to get a package with all your stuff in it. Just before the escape iirc.
Thanks. I reloaded the quest and picked the chest again and it was there like it was supposed to be.

notpl

Arbiter
I didn't notice at the time, but just a few days ago we passed the one year anniversary of the last time any info was posted about History of Khorinis :betrayed:

Codex Year of the Donut

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Does anyone know of a way to take screenshots in this stupid game? I need them for a nefarious purpose, but it's resistant to all my screentaking software.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'll try Bandicam. I have this from ZOG and it crashes when I try to hook it up with the Steam overlay.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Did you enjoy the unkillable NPCs

i love people bringing up this point as if gothic never had them to begin with
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've already lawnmowed the entire world, so it hasn't escaped my attention, yeah.

I'm also not a fan of the rather many locked doors that "can't be opened". Not even locked with keys, just "can't be opened".

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
My will to play this game is inversely proportional to the time I have to spend in the city.

The quest to find the smugglers for the guild is just all sorts of bad.

- go to the port and find evildoers!!!
- you go to the port, ask a question, 'evildoer is on the pier!'
- you go to the pier there is no evildoer
- but there are signs of struggle! And he has left A TRAIL!
- a trail of... planks... hammers... and saws...
- are you effin shittin me
- the trail of many tools leads to his corpse
- now it seems you either bribe the guard to let you see the corpse or the quest bugs out, at least it did for me
- then you find more evildoers behind a door that used to be 'this can't be opened'
- after knocking them out one evildoer says 'hey how about you let me go' and you have no choice but to agree
- and then after rescuing your buddy and killing more evildoers the guy you let go once again asks you to let him go and YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO AGREE

WTF

Codex Year of the Donut
My will to play this game is inversely proportional to the time I have to spend in the city.

The quest to find the smugglers for the guild is just all sorts of bad.

- go to the port and find evildoers!!!
- you go to the port, ask a question, 'evildoer is on the pier!'
- you go to the pier there is no evildoer
- but there are signs of struggle! And he has left A TRAIL!
- a trail of... planks... hammers... and saws...
- are you effin shittin me
- the trail of many tools leads to his corpse
- now it seems you either bribe the guard to let you see the corpse or the quest bugs out, at least it did for me
- then you find more evildoers behind a door that used to be 'this can't be opened'
- after knocking them out one evildoer says 'hey how about you let me go' and you have no choice but to agree
- and then after rescuing your buddy and killing more evildoers the guy you let go once again asks you to let him go and YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO AGREE

WTF
Is this for the merchants?
Sounds like a counterpart to the terrible guard quest.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Many quests are like this one, but people seem to kinda forget it for some reasons.
Side quests in Silbach for example are like this:
- NPC : " bla bla bla Marvin can you sweep the floor?" " Bla bla bla Marvin can you help me with this task/find X item"
- Player : "Ok"
- reward: 10 gold pieces + 100xp, quest completed and rarely another path of completing it and if so the reward is modified like this: 100 gold pieces +10xp.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's easier to ignore when it happens in a sidequest. However this task for the guild is a main quest, and for that such shit is just inexcusable.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
It's easier to ignore when it happens in a sidequest. However this task for the guild is a main quest, and for that such shit is just inexcusable.
From what I remember side quests in Gothic 1 and 2 even meaningless quests usually alter some other things in the background we have no clue about ( like with the Thief guild in Gothic 2). I never felt my involvement in a quest actually mattered or at least in the same way than in Gothic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom