Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

sosmoflux

Educated
Yeah seriously what the fuck are you on about. You don't have to autisically "lawnmower" the map in chapter 1...nor do you have to autisically do every single side quest, some of which are just there to give you easy cash and build immersion.

Also, those early quests in town are there to give you some bearings and organically teach you the space. The town is wickedly complex before you get a map so it's actually welcome.

Mod of the decade easily.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Yeah seriously what the fuck are you on about. You don't have to autisically "lawnmower" the map in chapter 1...nor do you have to autisically do every single side quest, some of which are just there to give you easy cash and build immersion.
what are you, some kind of casual? lmao @ not 101%ing every game smh

Ryzer

Arcane

Also, those early quests in town are there to give you some bearings and organically teach you the space. The town is wickedly complex before you get a map so it's actually welcome.

Mod of the decade easily.
Funny how this argument could work for Gothic 3 as well but that one has no "wickedly complex" bullshit argument down the line.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I mean, there's a notable point 40-60 hours in where it runs out of steam but that happened in Elex and Gothic 2 for me as well so that's true to form.

To me it's been progressively running out of steam ever since I entered Archolos city proper. At this point side quests make me groan because they are all the same, all banal, and many of them annoying - especially the ones in the city, since the majority of them involve running around in circles through the whole fucking city. And don't even get me started on the ones where you have to follow an NPC somewhere. Or on that shitty fucking guild quest where you have to follow WALKING NPCS THREE TIMES BACK AND FORTH FROM THE HARBOUR TO A RANDOM HOUSE IN THE SLUMS.

WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA

Also I swear every two-bit NPC here has IDDQD and it bothers the fuck out of me. Just as much as the cutscene deaths. And the omnipresent "this can't be opened" closed doors that in some cases have no reason to be there either - like the door to Helga's basement which had to be 100% superlocked because at some point a guy spawns there as part of a shitty sidequest to tell you something. WUT.

I enjoyed lawnmowing the world, but everything else about this is just not good. Now that I've lawnmowed everything there is, there's simply nothing of interest left for me to do. This was NEVER the case in Gothic, particularly since Gothic was much better at soft-gating your progress by locking certain ability and armour tiers by chapter - meanwhile here you can become a master alchemist and pump up your main stat to 150 already in chapter 1, while getting the heavy leather armour from the guy at the fishing village (also chapter 1) sets you up for life.
I knew the honeymood period would end for you eventually. I ended up uninstalling after the game gave me another shopping list heavily scripted fetch quest in chapter 4 or 5.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
See, that wasn't so hard, and could have rather been posted immediately instead of your passive-aggressive bullshit.

That said, I found Hod but I didn't see any orks around him. Either something bugged out and it didn't spawn or it was somewhere deeper in that area, while I lawnmowed it all already in chap 1.

Krivol

Magister
Ok, since I think I ragequit for good, a question:

Do orcs ever appear in this game, or do they remain a ZOMG they could appear at ANY MOMENT till the end?

One whole chapter is about orcs' invasion and you may kill plenty of those.

Still, if you don't like this game - don't play, it's not like it's getting better anyway (IMO it's a great game, but it's like, just, my opinion, man!).

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Only mods I have ever liked were those as old as the games they were built on, with charmingly shitty production values. Once something become some modders' and fans' dream game I get bored to tears and death. Is this like that?

Testicules

Educated
Only mods I have ever liked were those as old as the games they were built on, with charmingly shitty production values. Once something become some modders' and fans' dream game I get bored to tears and death. Is this like that?
IMO this game feels like it could have been made 20 years ago and 100% captures the Gothic magic. Don't listen to the preening faglords one-upping each other with negativity ITT; it's the most fun I've had playing a game in years. If you enjoy Gothic (and who doesn't?) then you should play this.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
IMO this game feels like it could have been made 20 years ago and 100% captures the Gothic magic. Don't listen to the preening faglords one-upping each other with negativity ITT; it's the most fun I've had playing a game in years. If you enjoy Gothic (and who doesn't?) then you should play this.
pressing ctrl+alt+shift+d to doubt

notpl

Arbiter
It is the best RPG released in years.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I'm pretty sure this gets said every time an RPG is released. Also, isn't Gothic an action-RPG?

notpl

Arbiter
I'm pretty sure this gets said every time an RPG is released. Also, isn't Gothic an action-RPG?
Genre labels are a fiction invented by each individual person who uses them and I don't respect them semantically.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Genre labels are a fiction invented by each individual person who uses them and I don't respect them semantically.
Okay then. This cannot be the best RPG, for one cannot define what an RPG is.

notpl

Arbiter
Of course you can. I just did. I'll do it again: Archolos is an RPG, and the best one released in years. I simply don't care what other fictions are going on in anyone else's head and there's no point in trying to reconcile them.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Of course you can. I just did. I'll do it again: Archolos is an RPG, and the best one released in years. I simply don't care what other fictions are going on in anyone else's head and there's no point in trying to reconcile them.
But why should I care about your opinion when you just said it's all made up and subjective and doesn't mean anything?

Edit: Calm your dicks, retardraters. Subjectitardation must be fought retardless of the opinions expressed! Regardless, I meant.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
But why should I care about your opinion when you just said it's all made up and subjective and doesn't mean anything?
"RPG" and "action-RPG" are made up words that don't mean anything between the two of us. The fact that Archolos is the best RPG released in years is an ontological certainty, though.

notpl

Arbiter
I have never in my life heard anyone call Gothic an action-RPG. "Action-RPG," by all heuristics available to me, is used to either describe diablo clones with cooldown-based abilities and exploding loot graded by rarity, or used to describe JRPGs with real-time beat-em-up combat rather than the traditional turn-based one team on one side, one team on the other side type: games like seiken denseutsu 3 or the Ys series or something. I'm sure the term has some different and very real meaning to you! It just doesn't matter and is a huge waste of both our time to try and figure out what that is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom