Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Of course you can. I just did. I'll do it again: Archolos is an RPG, and the best one released in years. I simply don't care what other fictions are going on in anyone else's head and there's no point in trying to reconcile them.
The only choice you make in Archolos that truly matters is picking one of the two factions, that's it.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I have never in my life heard anyone call Gothic an action-RPG. "Action-RPG," by all heuristics available to me, is used to either describe diablo clones with cooldown-based abilities and exploding loot graded by rarity, or used to describe JRPGs with real-time beat-em-up combat rather than the traditional turn-based one team on one side, one team on the other side type: games like seiken denseutsu 3 or the Ys series or something. I'm sure the term has some different and very real meaning to you! It just doesn't matter and is a huge waste of both our time to try and figure out what that is.
It's an RPG that controls like an action game. In real RPGs, you aren't in direct control of characters. But I understand. Those games don't exist to the average retard who only knows ARPGs. Last time I checked most RPGs didn't control like Dark Vengeance, so, no, Gothic is not a pure RPG.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
I have never in my life heard anyone call Gothic an action-RPG. "Action-RPG," by all heuristics available to me, is used to either describe diablo clones with cooldown-based abilities and exploding loot graded by rarity, or used to describe JRPGs with real-time beat-em-up combat rather than the traditional turn-based one team on one side, one team on the other side type: games like seiken denseutsu 3 or the Ys series or something. I'm sure the term has some different and very real meaning to you! It just doesn't matter and is a huge waste of both our time to try and figure out what that is.
It's an RPG that controls like an action game. In real RPGs, you aren't in direct control of characters. But I understand. Those games don't exist to the average retard who only knows ARPGs. Last time I checked most RPGs didn't control like Dark Vengeance, so, no, Gothic is not a pure RPG.
Codextard moment.

Sjukob

Arcane
Do orcs ever appear in this game, or do they remain a ZOMG they could appear at ANY MOMENT till the end?
Gothic2-2021-12-30-22-41-20-53eb0deb60ef8c949d.png
Gothic2-2021-12-30-22-38-42-6466de0ab4c2a9661f.png
Gothic2-2022-01-01-12-47-36-40afac8bf93bd9c5f3.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I have never in my life heard anyone call Gothic an action-RPG.
The olden way of describing games is that anything where player dexterity and reflexes (greatly) impact the outcome of combat is an action RPG. This is certainly true in gojics, whereas not true in stuff like fallout. Diablo is arguably less demanding of player dexterity than gojic.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Lost all my progress because of a corrupted save file. Serves me right for overwriting the same slot instead of making a bunch of different saves, though tbf I just beat Gothic 1-2 and had no issues with save corruption.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pretty funny.

Works on mod for ten years
Releases to critical acclaim and gets jobs in the game industry

One year later, a guy on a forum: "Where sequel?"

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lost all my progress because of a corrupted save file. Serves me right for overwriting the same slot instead of making a bunch of different saves, though tbf I just beat Gothic 1-2 and had no issues with save corruption.
That's lucky that it never happened to you in 1/2 but please believe me that it has a random chance to happen in G1/G2 and always did. That's why quick saving is disabled by default.

I think it'll happen to about every second player to one of his saves at least once.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
So they making a sequel or moving onto something interesting or what?
afaik they got poached to work on the gothic remake along with some of the enderal guys?
IIRC The team behind Archolos infromed the fans that they were working on the mod for many years and they are done, the game is made, it's amazing and now they are free to move forward in live. No plans to make any sequel or anything.

All you can hope for is the opposing team (it's a mod, so drama with a team splitting in half is a given, they had a big falling out and the original creator is still working on his mod) finishing their own mod - The History of Khorinis - within a year or two. I think I've heard of one or two other big mods as well, I don't hope for their quality to be as good as Archolos, but even something worse would still be amazing. Last time they gave the sign of life was 6 months ago, when they said they are at the end of work and will only make announcement when they are finished.

I hope the sheer spite the The History of Khorinis authors feel towards the creators of Archolos will allow them to make something rivaling it in quality:

Edit: Now that I've checked the old Gothic forum, just three days ago a member of The History of Khorinis team confirmed that the mod is still being made and starting with the next year they intend to start implementing new music system.

Also, fun fact from those unaware: The History of Khorinis is intended to be only the first part of the mod, set on an island called Vanuz. It's the other part of the mod that's going to be on Khorinis, but both mods are intended to be stand-alone. So if the the first part of the mod is successful, we will see not two gigantic Gothic mods, but three.

Last edited:

sosmoflux

Educated
So they making a sequel or moving onto something interesting or what?
afaik they got poached to work on the gothic remake along with some of the enderal guys?
IIRC The team behind Archolos infromed the fans that they were working on the mod for many years and they are done, the game is made, it's amazing and now they are free to move forward in live. No plans to make any sequel or anything.

All you can hope for is the opposing team (it's a mod, so drama with a team splitting in half is a given, they had a big falling out and the original creator is still working on his mod) finishing their own mod - The History of Khorinis - within a year or two. I think I've heard of one or two other big mods as well, I don't hope for their quality to be as good as Archolos, but even something worse would still be amazing. Last time they gave the sign of life was 6 months ago, when they said they are at the end of work and will only make announcement when they are finished.

I hope the sheer spite the The History of Khorinis authors feel towards the creators of Archolos will allow them to make something rivaling it in quality:

Edit: Now that I've checked the old Gothic forum, just three days ago a member of The History of Khorinis team confirmed that the mod is still being made and starting with the next year they intend to start implementing new music system.

Also, fun fact from those unaware: The History of Khorinis is intended to be only the first part of the mod, set on an island called Vanuz. It's the other part of the mod that's going to be on Khorinis, but both mods are intended to be stand-alone. So if the the first part of the mod is successful, we will see not two gigantic Gothic mods, but three.

I think a lot of the success of Archolos was from most people who loved G1-2 having not played them in 5-10 years, thus rediscovering Gothic again alongside a great mod. The novelty value was huge.

Although I feel thirsty for more, I can't help but worry that the ship has sailed for a while.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
This mod is not great, Gothic fans have just gone through decades of nothing and now that a mod released attempting at emulating Gothic, obviously the fans were happy but it's nowhere near as good as the original games.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
This happened to me too, so I wrote an ahk script to make quicksaving back up saves to an external directory.
#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases. ; #Warn ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors. SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability. SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory. F5:: NumberOfBackups:=10 GothicQuickSavePath := "G:\Video Games\Gog\The Chronicles Of Myrtana Archolos\saves_thechroniclesofmyrtana\quicksave" BackupFolderPath:="G:\GothicIsTrash\" FileGetTime, qstime, %GothicQuickSavePath% BackupFolderName :=BackupFolderPath . "quicksave_" . qstime FileCopyDir, %GothicQuickSavePath%, %BackupFolderName% FolderAge :=A_Now OldestFolder:="none" Count:=0 Loop, Files, %BackupFolderPath%*, D { Count++ if(A_LoopFileTimeCreated < FolderAge) { Folderage :=%A_LoopFileTimeCreated% OldestFolder:=A_LoopFileFullPath } } if(Count>NumberOfBackups) { FileRemoveDir, %OldestFolder%,1 } SendPlay {F5} return

I recommend it to anyone who wants quicksaves...

You'll have to edit the paths to fit your computer of course.

Arthandas

Liturgist
How do you actually fix the mouse in this shit?
Changing the rotation speed in the ini affects only the horizontal axis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom