Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Ladonna

Arcane
Let's buy Lady Ladonna a new pc.

It isn't my modern PC, it is one of my retro boxes. Building a WinXP rig is still pretty cheap, for now. 98/95 boxes used to be the same, but have blown out, and dos PC's? lol, get your cash out.

It's good being able to get a game, and just play it. No need to crap around. And it is hardware I couldn't afford/sometimes didn't exist back in the day (X-Fi Titanium sound card, modern SSD, etc). Gothic 2 loads in a few seconds, with the full EAX sound experience.

For Archolos, it all depends on what else they have added to the mix. And the town is pretty huge, so that will put a strain on the system, even though I have a pretty powerful CPU for an XP machine. It would help having a non GOG packaged .exe too (Steam obviously is out).

BlackPlate

Novice
One of the devs said the update is 6 months away... :rage:
At this point it feels like they are waiting for the mod to be forgotten by all the players, so once it's released players will want to play it again because it feels fresh enough.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I killed three evil meatbugs, scurrying on their ways ever so nefariously, meticulously picked up 48 apples and 37 grapes, leaving nothing to the farmers who were oblivious to my actions anyway, and found a scroll that can transform me into a field raider.
My party-joke of coming back to the farm dressed as one wasn't taken well. All that hard work made them lose their sense of humor, I guess.
However, all in all, I'd call it a good day at Myrtana.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Let's buy Lady Ladonna a new pc.

It isn't my modern PC, it is one of my retro boxes. Building a WinXP rig is still pretty cheap, for now. 98/95 boxes used to be the same, but have blown out, and dos PC's? lol, get your cash out.

It's good being able to get a game, and just play it. No need to crap around. And it is hardware I couldn't afford/sometimes didn't exist back in the day (X-Fi Titanium sound card, modern SSD, etc). Gothic 2 loads in a few seconds, with the full EAX sound experience.

For Archolos, it all depends on what else they have added to the mix. And the town is pretty huge, so that will put a strain on the system, even though I have a pretty powerful CPU for an XP machine. It would help having a non GOG packaged .exe too (Steam obviously is out).
Was actually quite surprised at the loading times - pretty long for a mod of a 22 year old game.

Ladonna

Arcane
Was actually quite surprised at the loading times - pretty long for a mod of a 22 year old game.

Exactly. Hence why I want to try it out "as it is" on windows XP, and see whether some of that slowdown is due to changing directX 7 calls to DX11 on the fly, or whether it is because of the insane amounts of stuff in the town, etc.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-chro...-chronicles-of-myrtana-archolos-v1210-english

Nice. Soon as I have the time, I will download this and try it out. I played it on my modern PC using gog last time.

Anyone know what the patch does? https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-chro...he-chronicles-of-myrtana-archolos-v1211-patch

Krivol

Magister
My loading times are ten seconds maximum? Using the DX11 patch and installed on an SSD.
Well... that's the problem. Most modern games have like 0-2 seconds. We are a bit spoiled and the game is old, so people are complaining.

I remember when I pirated BGEE and couldn't play the original anymore due to 2 seconds of difference while saving game. Yeah, I am lazy...

NotSweeper

Educated
Welp, finally done with the Gothic 2 playthrough.
Imagine my shock when I finally started up Archolos and heard P*lish in the intro. I am not spending a 100 hours listening to potato speak, I'd rather burn in hell.

NotSweeper

Educated
Welp, finally done with the Gothic 2 playthrough.
Imagine my shock when I finally started up Archolos and heard P*lish in the intro. I am not spending a 100 hours listening to potato speak, I'd rather burn in hell.
Just delete the voice files like a normal person.
Thankfully, I haven't downloaded the Andrzej Zbigigevizcs voice pack, so I ain't gotta delete shit.
I'm just complaining for the sake of complaining.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Did anyone work out whether the Mysterious Leonzo in the Risky Ventures mission was anything other than some side reference I didn't get? The book didn't seem to tell me anything useful.

NotSweeper

Educated
Look up armors for Archolos. See the faction armors video on youtube.
Damn, the merc armor is looking fresh as fuck, guess I'll LARP with two handers and bows just for the fuck of it. Never tried two handers in the Gothics, it'll be a nice change of pace...
Try out two handers. That fucking backstep, holy shit, that alone makes 2h inferior and utter garbage in comparison to 1h.
Best part is, I'll now have the 2% 2h bonus I took from the Jorn fight taunting my autism for the rest of the game.

FIGHTING
TWO HANDED ROOKIE 10% 12%
:despair:

Mauman

Learned
Damn, the merc armor is looking fresh as fuck, guess I'll LARP with two handers and bows just for the fuck of it. Never tried two handers in the Gothics, it'll be a nice change of pace...
Try out two handers. That fucking backstep, holy shit, that alone makes 2h inferior and utter garbage in comparison to 1h.
Best part is, I'll now have the 2% 2h bonus I took from the Jorn fight taunting my autism for the rest of the game.

FIGHTING
Yup....two handed has always been inferior in the old Gothic engine.

Not even attempts to buff it up have really succeeded.

Sjukob

Arcane

FIGHTING
Yup....two handed has always been inferior in the old Gothic engine.

Not even attempts to buff it up have really succeeded.
Yeah, considering the way melee works, two handers would have to have double damage and range of comparable one handers to even begin being considered worthwhile, but even then you would be required to have high enough proficiency to make that damage work, while one handed users can just machine gun enemies to death with minimal damage right from the start thanks to their speed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom