Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition remaster

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The only great achievement of Crono Cross is providing Yasunori Mitsuda the opportunity to write a masterpiece of a soundtrack.

Puukko

Arcane
Oh yeah, smear that upscaling all across that dithering, Daddeenix.

image.png

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Oh yeah, smear that upscaling all across that dithering, Daddeenix.

Yeah, both modes kinda suck

(Though honestly, in line, if not a bit better than Square's previous efforts.)
(With the exception of SAGA Frontier/Legend of Mana, but those had people that actually care behind it)

Thankfully, it seems to pretty mod-able. (Multiple Tools already released) So hopefully this port will be worth it in a year.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
hsbsIUA.png

Square Enix ethics department strikes again, reminder to dump your cartridges/ get roms in a hardrive for game preservation purposes because companies sure as hell won't. I wonder what thing won't be halal in 10 years, maybe with the next remastered version she won't have a dress anymore because it is too feminine or some bullshit like that.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Quick Update:

All of the HD assets are raw PNGs. The music is SAB which is easily editable. The classic files are in TIM which can be easily viewed and the assets within can be replaced. The FMVs are bink2 files and we just figured out how to replace them. We also have an editor that can replace the backgrounds. The dialog is also just plain text files.

We aren't sure how to replace the font yet with a custom font sadly.

We have audio, portrait, rebalance and UI mods so far. Upscaled backgrounds, upscaled/interpolated FMVs, and text editing mods are in the works.

Codex Year of the Donut
hsbsIUA.png

Square Enix ethics department strikes again, reminder to dump your cartridges/ get roms in a hardrive for game preservation purposes because companies sure as hell won't. I wonder what thing won't be halal in 10 years, maybe with the next remastered version she won't have a dress anymore because it is too feminine or some bullshit like that.
Weebs literally can't go a single page without being pedophiles. It's scientifically impossible.

Nobody else would have noticed this change besides weebs.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Meanwhile I played a bit with duckstation.

I noticed that Chrono Cross has a kind of adaptive fps, switching between 60 and 30 fps depending on the complexity of the 3D scene. However often it dips under 30 fps in the battle segments due the PS1 being not completely able to render in time some complex scene (like it happens in "remastered" version...).
If you overclock a bit the PS1 CPU (for example from the default 33.87MHz to something between 40-50MHz), the framerate becomes constant (30 or 60 fps), without dips.
If you change the clock speed, there is a general warning from duckstation for the possibility of instability of the game, but so far I didn't notice any problems.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Ze_PilOt (Moguri Dev) ran some of the backgrounds through the upscaler he trained for Moguri.

Made for a different game + quick job + no additional manual work, but already looks cleaner than the official release (blemishes that are due to quick job aside):

Tigranes

Arcane
I have to be honest, it all looks pretty bad, before and after. So bad that it's hard to get upset about the obvious butchering.

Poseidon00

Arcane
So they changed the "sexist" language (fucking kill me) but they also added in a lot more swear words then I remember being thrown around. The differences between this and the original are barely noticeable, except for the portraits, which often look worse.

Brickfrog

Learned
hsbsIUA.png

Ok groomer.
what kind of parents did you have that taught you that it's ok to whine online about not being able to see a child's pixelated underwear?

If I saw my son posting like this I would beat the shit out of him.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
z1v9BfV.jpg

They really took their time to censor panties and alter dialogue but not to improve the framerate. Shit runs worse than in the ps1.

Delterius

Arcane
is there a word for someone who cares deeply about prepubescent panties

the only thing that chrono cross needs is a re-balance patch to make the game harder. not hard mind you, just hard enough that the combat system isn't a drag. game gets carried by art design / music anyways.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
wouldnt mind jumping back in, but I would like to bring my old save data from the psx.
since the PC version is basicly some kind of "remasted" psx port, i guess it would be possible to import the save files. any one know this is possible already?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ze_PilOt (Moguri Dev) ran some of the backgrounds through the upscaler he trained for Moguri.

Made for a different game + quick job + no additional manual work, but already looks cleaner than the official release (blemishes that are due to quick job aside):

Is there a possibility to import the new properly upscaled background now that PC version is available? Combine that with a FPS fix and this pathetic release might be of some use eventually.

Viata

Arcane
That is why they censor prepubescent panties:
First because some people are unable to differentiate real life from video game characters(funny how among them are the same people that complain about others not being able to do this).
Second because you are called a pedo if you are against this(usually from the people mentioned above)
Third because most people are going to say "it's ok to censor this since it's not important" but are unable to see that what is considered important is not up to them, but to those that have the power to censor things(which means that they too will complain about some censoring later, as always)
At the end of the day, it's your fault for buying modern japanese games from poisoned devs, more so when this japanese game has been translated by some shit company(which means all of those companies at this point).

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Is there a possibility to import the new properly upscaled background now that PC version is available? Combine that with a FPS fix and this pathetic release might be of some use eventually.

Yes, that part is already done. Projects are in the works, ranging from upscaled cutscenes, to redone model upscales, to portrait mods and text fixes (removing censorship/updating terms to the modern CT script (Nintendo DS+).

Until a really good background mod is released it will probably still take a while. So, the status of this game is best revisited after a year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom