Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition remaster

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Why are people getting excited for this? Chrono Cross is an awful games with good graphics for its era and great music. Rehashed shit remains shit.
I am excited a little because I missed it on release so I might get a decent version to play. I am more excited for the Live A Live remaster.

Lucumo

Educated
Suddenly these ass developers are making these half assed remasters like crazies. I think they are scared that it is too late: now everyone can recreate AI upscaled remasters of their games by themselves from the originals, and run them where they want with emulators.
You think so? I mean, there are enough suckers that will buy this anyway.

Only 20 bucks? Nice deal.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I never played it so yeah it is a nice deal. I will buy it when it goes on sale at 50 percent.
I know how to use a fucking emulator btw it's just not worth messing with on RPG's due to the ethereal nature of computers.
To further explain that I usually lose track of progress on emulated RPG's so it is hard to find the drive to beat them. Owning things in one place (especially new things that are then made newer again) is nice as opposed to playing all these old JRPG's I missed through shitty emulation, forgetting where the save state is at, one disc not working right suddenly, fmv's running at the wrong framerate, needing to perform occult rituals to get the game to work or look nice, etc.

Last edited:

Lucumo

Educated
I never played it so yeah it is a nice deal. I will buy it when it goes on sale at 50 percent.
That's at least something. Though, still too high. 75% off would be acceptable (in general).

I know how to use a fucking emulator btw it's just not worth messing with on RPG's due to the ethereal nature of computers.
To further explain that I usually lose track of progress on emulated RPG's so it is hard to find the drive to beat them. Owning things in one place (especially new things that are then made newer again) is nice as opposed to playing all these old JRPG's I missed through shitty emulation, forgetting where the save state is at, one disc not working right suddenly, fmv's running at the wrong framerate, needing to perform occult rituals to get the game to work or look nice, etc.
This reads like a bunch of excuses. The state of PS and PS2 emulation is pretty good...and emulators also aren't rocket science.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
That's at least something. Though, still too high. 75% off would be acceptable (in general).

This reads like a bunch of excuses. The state of PS and PS2 emulation is pretty good...and emulators also aren't rocket science.

That isn't what I mean. A bunch of file folders sitting on my computer I usually forget they exist after a few months of not playing. None of the emulators have a frontend that will let you play everything you want in one package. Once again I never paid for the game so buying it on sale is not an excuse it is how I buy games period. Every emulated RPG (mind you I am talking PS1 era and beyond) I have played at length has ran into issues. Whether it be minor glitches or some dumb swap disc trick I am sick of messing with.

Why would I need to make an excuse to you though I don't give a fuck I am having a conversation about a remaster of a game I never played that I will buy on sale and you are acting autistic from the get-go? Just go away if that is your level of engagement.

Example: Parasite Eve emulated looks and runs like shit.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Arranged soundtrack samples:

And they don't provide an option to switch between the original and... this?

Those are terrible.They ruined the music.
Those bastards ruined the one thing that was actually good.
Looks like you can change between the new and old music.

Last edited:

Lucumo

Educated

That isn't what I mean. A bunch of file folders sitting on my computer I usually forget they exist after a few months of not playing. None of the emulators have a frontend that will let you play everything you want in one package. Once again I never paid for the game so buying it on sale is not an excuse it is how I buy games period. Every emulated RPG (mind you I am talking PS1 era and beyond) I have played at length has ran into issues. Whether it be minor glitches or some dumb swap disc trick I am sick of messing with.

Why would I need to make an excuse to you though I don't give a fuck I am having a conversation about a remaster of a game I never played that I will buy on sale and you are acting autistic from the get-go? Just go away if that is your level of engagement.

Example: Parasite Eve emulated looks and runs like shit.
I'm not sure what you mean. Several emulators have "game lists" where the games that you registered with it are shown (possibly including some extra information). And for the ones that don't, when you want to load an image or whatever, a list opens, listing everything that you want to be listed. So I don't see the issue here. And that has been the case for at least ten years by now. I've agreed with you on the buying part but pointed out that a sale with 75% off would be more right/acceptable (in general). Really? I've played a decent amount of games, especially 10+ years ago and I've only very rarely ran into trouble. If anything, the state today should be better than ever (and compatibility lists exist). So...like I said, it's not rocket science and if anything, the issue is on your end.

That's what I want to know, hence me writing: "This reads like a bunch of excuses." (take note of the verb used). From how I see it, you simply failed at properly reading (or understanding) what I wrote.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I have the opposite experience with emulators. I find easier to run old games with emulators that playing new ports. Yeah sometime you can have some graphics glitches here and there and you need to fiddle a bit with the configuration, but these cases are rarer these days (and for Crono Cross, a simple ps1 game, this is definitely not the case).

With emulators, I like the flexibility in how you can play the games, and the extreme accessibility: no installation, easy access and portability of the game files (usually these are a single file you can put everywhere you like), easy access and portability of save files (ditto), centralized configurations and optional game specific configurations, better graphics options, better controls options, multiplatform (several times I had to switch my computer and OS, but I was able to continue playing the same games without losing any progress), savestates, no online shits, etc.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Looks like you can change between the new and old music.

You can play with OG soundtrack.

Where can you find about it? Press release and store description only mention that you can switch graphics and fonts, nothing about switching music.
https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/chrono-cross-the-radical-dreamers-edition

"You can choose between playing with the updated 3D models, fonts, illustrations, and filtered backgrounds and the original graphics, and switch between the original and refined soundtracks too".

Carpalone

Novice
If you guys haven't watched the 20th anniversary concert yet you should the arrangements are excellent.

A torrent is available on Nyaa

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They updated their website,original music is gone:
https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/chrono-cross-the-radical-dreamers-edition
"UPDATE: This article originally incorrectly stated that users can switch between the original and remastered soundtracks. Please note that this was in error and only the refined music can be played."

This is now literally worse then emulation.

wait why the fuck would they change soundtrack?

Chrono Cross is probably Yatsunori Mitsuda best work and his soundtrack is probably the best part of the fucking game

what the fuck

Poseidon00

Arcane
Chrono Trigger and Cross were both amazing RPGs and I don't care what anyone says. Cross was better tho

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom