Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VII

Hellraiser

Arcane
Is anyone making "bottom of the barrel diversity leader pick" bingo sheets for this? That's about the only (indirect) entertainment I can image current year Firaxis being able to provide me with this game, and the bingo sure as hell won't cost 80 USD or whatever obscene price 2K/T2 suits try to pin on the game itself so that's another point for the bingo.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'm kinda curious who will they steal the "new" ideas from, since amplitude decided to ape (and utterly fail) them with their last game for a change.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I'm kinda curious who will they steal the "new" ideas from, since amplitude decided to ape (and utterly fail) them with their last game for a change.
Paradox, but only in terms of dlc. It is gonna be civ 6 with less features with 10+ dlc coming on release date at 70 bucks. It is pretty much the norm for most new strategy games unfortunately.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Didn't civ6 already rival cuck-a-dox on that front? Including expansion pass or whatever.

Those bizzare pre-release videos with junkies announcing the next random mystery meat leader dlc were arguably the most entertaining thing about the entire project.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Didn't civ6 already rival cuck-a-dox on that front? Including expansion pass or whatever.

Those bizzare pre-release videos with junkies announcing the next random mystery meat leader dlc were arguably the most entertaining thing about the entire project.
They mostly sold new civs with their scenario until 2020. You could also get the best deal by just buying the expansions. Past that that you get multiple game passes containing leaders,civs, mechanics.
What is even funnier is that they sold dlc full knowingly it actually causes gamebreaking problems.(crashes) There is a old problem that started appearing when there is too much stuff in the game. All the extra dlc just made the problem even more frequent. It also ruined most mods, but they probably saw that as a positive.
I really don't see how any sane individual can actually be happy for this game. It is gonna be a performance nightmare and it has to run on the switch, so even more dumbed down features.

Naraya

Arcane
I have no expectations and no desire to play this game, but coincidentally I read Sid Meier's Memoir! a few weeks ago. I was positively surprised by the amount of interesting data in this book. I recommend reading it for people interested in Sid's and Microprose history. Also didn't know he was a devout Christian.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The basic concept of the Civilization games is just not that great. It feels more like a board game for people with severe autism than a PC game.

ropetight

Savant
It's gonna be bad. This franchise died bad.
the problem is, it's never been more alive, sales-wise.

Didn't even know Firaxis was sick.
But symptoms were there.
February 17, 2023 09:00 AM Eastern Standard Time
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K today announced that industry veteran and Firaxis Games Chief Operating Officer, Heather Hazen, has been promoted to Studio Head, ushering in a new era of development at the legendary interactive entertainment studio behind Sid Meier’s Civilization, XCOM, and the recently-released and critically-acclaimed Marvel's Midnight Suns.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230217005038/en/A-New-Era-Begins-at-Firaxis-Games

Hellraiser

Arcane
But symptoms were there.
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K today announced that industry veteran and Firaxis Games Chief Operating Officer, Heather Hazen, has been promoted to Studio Head, ushering in a new era of development at the legendary interactive entertainment studio behind Sid Meier’s Civilization, XCOM, and the recently-released and critically-acclaimed Marvel's Midnight Suns.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230217005038/en/A-New-Era-Begins-at-Firaxis-Games

The rot was already visible when Beyond Earth was made, that was a B-team game and the B-team people usually being more junior "getting their shot" with side projects eventually always takes over (unless the studio shuts down) when the veterans leave/retire. If the B-team makes a largely creatively bankrupt game, at the same time failing to even make it play nearly as good as CiV which they were fucking reskinning, you know there's no future for the studio.

Still obligatory "ah yes, an industry veteran" comment from me:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/heather-hazen-6219745/details/experience/

Code:
Firaxis Games
3 yrs 8 mos

President and Studio Head
Feb 2023 - Present · 1 yr 5 mos

Chief Operating Officer
Nov 2020 - Feb 2023 · 2 yrs 4 mos

Principal/Executive Producer
Honeycomb Labs LLC Jan 2020 - Dec 2020 · 1 yrJan 2020 to Dec 2020 · 1 yr

Executive Producer
Epic Games Oct 2017 - Oct 2019 · 2 yrs 1 moOct 2017 to Oct 2019 · 2 yrs 1 mo

PopCap Games
9 yrs 6 mos

Games General ManagerGames General Manager
Nov 2015 - Jun 2017 · 1 yr 8 mosNov 2015 to Jun 2017 · 1 yr 8 mos Greater Seattle AreaGreater Seattle Area

Executive Producer - Live ServicesExecutive Producer - Live Services
Feb 2014 - Nov 2015 · 1 yr 10 mosFeb 2014 to Nov 2015 · 1 yr 10 mos Greater Seattle AreaGreater Seattle Area

Executive Producer - Bejeweled
Mar 2013 - Feb 2014 · 1 yr

Director of Development - Bejeweled
Oct 2012 to Mar 2013 · 6 mos

Sr. Product Manager - Bejeweled Blitz
Feb 2010 - Oct 2012 · 2 yrs 9 mos

Sr.Producer
May 2009 - Feb 2010 · 10 mos

Producer
Jan 2008 - May 2009 · 1 yr 5 mos

Producer, Interactive and Youth Electronics
Cartoon Network Aug 2004 - Jan 2008 · 3 yrs 6 mos

Promotions Producer
Cartoon Network New Media 2001 - 2004 · 3 yrs

Wake Forest University
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Communication and Media Studies 1996 - 2000

With a decade in Popcap and project management roles, because who else would get promoted/fail to the top in AAA. Only 3 years in Firaxis, not present there when they made actual good games were made.

You thought Civ VI looked like mobile trash shit? Well it's going to be worse with people like her being put in charge and the suits who think they need people like that in charge, considering the financial pressure T2/2K are under and with no GTA 6 to help the parasites and shitty managers stay afloat.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Prior to Firaxis Games, she was an Executive Producer on Fortnite at Epic Games, as well as Plants vs. Zombies and Bejeweled while at PopCap Games .

ropetight

Savant
But symptoms were there.

The rot was already visible when Beyond Earth was made, that was a B-team game and the B-team people usually being more junior "getting their shot" with side projects eventually always takes over (unless the studio shuts down) when the veterans leave/retire. If the B-team makes a largely creatively bankrupt game, at the same time failing to even make it play nearly as good as CiV which they were fucking reskinning, you know there's no future for the studio.

Still obligatory "ah yes, an industry veteran" comment from me:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/heather-hazen-6219745/details/experience/

Code:
Firaxis Games
3 yrs 8 mos

President and Studio Head
Feb 2023 - Present · 1 yr 5 mos

Chief Operating Officer
Nov 2020 - Feb 2023 · 2 yrs 4 mos

Principal/Executive Producer
Honeycomb Labs LLC Jan 2020 - Dec 2020 · 1 yrJan 2020 to Dec 2020 · 1 yr

Executive Producer
Epic Games Oct 2017 - Oct 2019 · 2 yrs 1 moOct 2017 to Oct 2019 · 2 yrs 1 mo

PopCap Games
9 yrs 6 mos

Games General ManagerGames General Manager
Nov 2015 - Jun 2017 · 1 yr 8 mosNov 2015 to Jun 2017 · 1 yr 8 mos Greater Seattle AreaGreater Seattle Area

Executive Producer - Live ServicesExecutive Producer - Live Services
Feb 2014 - Nov 2015 · 1 yr 10 mosFeb 2014 to Nov 2015 · 1 yr 10 mos Greater Seattle AreaGreater Seattle Area

Executive Producer - Bejeweled
Mar 2013 - Feb 2014 · 1 yr

Director of Development - Bejeweled
Oct 2012 to Mar 2013 · 6 mos

Sr. Product Manager - Bejeweled Blitz
Feb 2010 - Oct 2012 · 2 yrs 9 mos

Sr.Producer
May 2009 - Feb 2010 · 10 mos

Producer
Jan 2008 - May 2009 · 1 yr 5 mos

Producer, Interactive and Youth Electronics
Cartoon Network Aug 2004 - Jan 2008 · 3 yrs 6 mos

Promotions Producer
Cartoon Network New Media 2001 - 2004 · 3 yrs

Wake Forest University
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Communication and Media Studies 1996 - 2000

With a decade in Popcap and project management roles, because who else would get promoted/fail to the top in AAA. Only 3 years in Firaxis, not present there when they made actual good games were made.

You thought Civ VI looked like mobile trash shit? Well it's going to be worse with people like her being put in charge and the suits who think they need people like that in charge, considering the financial pressure T2/2K are under and with no GTA 6 to help the parasites and shitty managers stay afloat.
Always with that cunning rhetoric, industry and Firaxis veteran.
You would think she started with designing paratroopers in Civ2 or something like that.
Plants vs Zombies was addictive piece of casual gaming and smash hit, but what was her contribution there.
And fucking Fortnite.
All this is potinig to she making Civ even more DLC/microtransaction prone.

I've never seen more empty twitter, which can mean all kind of things.
But we will know soon.
https://x.com/heather_hazen

Last edited:

Blake00

Learned
I have no expectations and no desire to play this game, but coincidentally I read Sid Meier's Memoir! a few weeks ago. I was positively surprised by the amount of interesting data in this book. I recommend reading it for people interested in Sid's and Microprose history.
Yeah I only read it a few months ago too. Was a good read!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
View attachment 33680

This will be my only comment.

aac1ed2238b62a74b9ea0c339169a248.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom