Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

HansDampf

Arcane
Can't even say hell on youtube?

Baron Dupek

Arcane

finally a long one, before finishing TNT
includes Portal of Praveus which is surprisingly linear journey contrasting with base game

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
includes Portal of Praveus which is surprisingly linear journey contrasting with base game

It is a bit more linear than the base game but that is just in comparison to it, it isn't like you're playing Call of Duty.

I think his dislike for the enemies soured him on it, i remember playing it a few years ago and thinking it was just more Hexen 2. TBH i don't think he did that good of a presentation for the expansion (he also got the story wrong, IIRC the mage wanted to consume the souls of serpent riders instead of reviving them and the demoness, who was created by Eidolon was pissed off about it). Perhaps a consequence of him only having played the expansion once. Also i remember demoness' (default) projectile attack being very effective.

Also i remember the intro "cutscene" being amusing because it was clearly a demo playback :-P.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm disappointed he didn't metion the Were Jaguars were like an early Skaarj. I played Hexen II on release and was quite impressed by their moveset. They jumped, dodged, ducked, rolled, lunged and it seemed they responded to what the player did as well. Not as smart as the Skaarj but they felt like a prototype of the latter. The AI in Hexen II also had some neat pathing. I remember i chopped some mummy guy or whatever in the Egyptian area and the damn thing managed to crawl across the entire level and started hitting me in the shins out of nowhere 10 minutes later across the other side of the map.

I only made it half-way through the video but he also didn't seem to talk about how extended the destruction of the enviorment was in the game, or at least he didn't make it clear. Not Red Faction levels but still, it was the Quake 1 engine after all.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He mentioned destruction for a bit but only in passing early in the video. In general he didn't seem to go deep in the game's positives, he didn't even mention that mummies have several damage "states" (he said that they keep crawling towards you but that was barely a second in the 3 seconds he spent on them).

Which is weird because he did mention he played the game multiple times so he clearly doesn't dislike it. Perhaps he thinks people would rather have him focus on the annoying parts like the puzzles? (though TBH i've also played the game several times and i never remember having issues with the plates puzzle - the only "issue" is that the first time i played the game it took me a while to find where the wall with the solution was since it was in a room accessible only via a small "lip" inside a dark chasm that otherwise teleported you to a room with respawning enemies - but that's just Hexen II)

Caim

Arcane
Just the same level twice and the final level that's like a pacificism run of an FPS.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Just a question out of curiosity, were Civvie and Gmanlives really beefing at some point?

The only thing i remember is Civvie taking a potshot at Gmanlives in his Nightdive Blood engine remake review for not noticing the differences between the original and the engine remake. I don't remember anything else and around that time Civvie wasn't as known and Gmanlives mentioned him in his Twitter as someone to follow if you like retro FPS videos.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Not a new video, just duct taped shorts of TNT review

also bonus out of context bits

edit nevermind, new video is here

edit2 - he talks about Power Stone too, no separate video for that one

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
So like Rise of the Triad it's a notable improvement over Wolfenstein, but the timing was bad so it didn't go anywhere.

Caim

Arcane
It's like if Beavis & Butthead made a Build Engine game, with the CGI for the cutscenes borrowed from Blood.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
as promised

enemies doesn't feel so aggresive... what's better test for walking tanks if not dangerous enemies?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Every faction has big "are we the baddies" energy
that was quick lesson, now he have more understanding of WH40k than most people in the comment section and elsewhere

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Long time since he made some series.
And since he hate mods - that means no Complete Garbage 4 Teh First Playthrough.
I swear people recommending that are just as obnoxious as Anomaly/GAMMA drones...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom