Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

Caim

Arcane
So Phantom Fury is still ass, got it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, he didn't really hold back on Phantom Fury one bit. It was probably one of his better openings unless you're one of the developers of Phantom Fury.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
Strife certainly was innovative for its time, but all things considered it's a rather mediocre game in my opinion. Not bad per se, but definitely my least favorite of the original Doom engine games. Those so called "RPG elements" sure were a nice touch, but they are almost painfully superficial and beyond that, Strife is just ("just", lol) a 90s shooter with comparatively bland level design and rather weak gunplay. Still worth a look though, for those interested in classic shooters.

Disagree, outside of the sewer strife levels are pretty competently designed. Also the only weapon that really feels weak is the crossbow. Which is easily worse than heritics wand, and the duke 3d pistol. The rocket launcher is weak compared to doom/quake ect but it's meant to serve as one of your main weapons, not as a specialty long range weapon. The rifle, mauler, flamethrower all feel fine imo.

Strife is probably my favorite boomer shooter so I may be biased.

Also I played mulletmad jack because of Civvie 11. It was a good time I will buy the full game when it comes out. Highly recommend.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm still shocked that Parallax became Volition. It's a shame that Embracer killed them. I would have loved to have seen Sweet Baby Inc's take on Descent 4.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Caim

Arcane
I agree, pulling this off in GZDOOM is nothing short of sorcery on part with Chasm.

Also the game itself, a bit steep but if it's as good as they say:

Hobknobling

Learned
Civvie11 is one of those toobers I watch because it is mildly entertaining and not because he is a good critic. Similar to Yahtzee.

e: Oh, he does voice acting for Selaco. His opinions are even more worthless than normally.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
What character does he voice? He had a reference in Postal 4, but I dunno if he voiced himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom