Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

DraQ

Arcane
Neither Q2 nor Daikatana are great games. Both are rather mediocre. Interestingly their flaws and highlights are pretty much exactly complementary - things that are great in Q2 are thoroughly shit in Daikatana and vice versa.

And by the way I've found something interdasting that seems like a piece of the most monocled kind:
https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/daikatana-quake2/

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Look, i know hating on Q2 is your shtick but there's was no way Daikatana isn't utterly inferior. The first episode alone gave me PTSD. I don't care how much "creativity" the game had the jank was fucking real man.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah but difficulty + jank is as fun as getting kicked in the balls repeatedly. I finished Q2 twice, once has a kid, once as an adult. I never got past the first episode in Daikatana and never will.

Besides, if what Civvie said it's true, the game becomes a cakewalk after the first episode so what's left, creativity? Pass.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Lyric Suite you only like Q2 because you've played it as a kid. Daikatana isn't great, but past its shitty first episode it's infinitely more creative and enjoyable.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm not convinced enough to try getting stabbed in my crotch, i mean, getting past the first area.

Also, how do you know you don't "hate" Q2 because it's a meme to hate it?

People also "hate" Xen in Half Life where as i actually loved that bit, possibly because i actually understood what they were trying to do there.

Wunderbar

Arcane
i disliked it before i started posting on internet.

quake 3, let's find out what's all the fuss is about. ... Huh, it's multiplayer only, and without internet you can only fight bots? lame
quake 2, this one has a singleplayer campaign. ... Oh god it's so grey and brown and samey, i'll stick to half-life, thanks.
quake 4, with dem doom 3 graphics! ... well it was okay i guess.
quake 1. not expecting anything from it, but i have nothing else to play so whatever. ... wtf this is excellent.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
i disliked it before i started posting on internet.

quake 3, let's find out what's all the fuss is about. ... Huh, it's multiplayer only, and without internet you can only fight bots? lame
quake 2, this one has a singleplayer campaign. ... Oh god it's so grey and brown and samey, i'll stick to half-life, thanks.
quake 4, with dem doom 3 graphics! ... well it was okay i guess.
quake 1. not expecting anything from it, but i have nothing else to play so whatever. ... wtf this is excellent.

Quake 2 came out a fair bit before Half-Life, so now i'm questioning your 30 years old boomer credentials. The biggest competitor when it was released was Hexen 2. Quake 2 enjoyed a bit of popularity initially for its uber graphix until some six months later Unreal came out and curb stomped the shit out of it.

Quake 1 i actually kind of found disappointing compared to Doom AND everything else that was released in between (I.E., Hexen, Duke 3D etc) but i still loved it all the same. When the shareware was released the only person i knew with internet had a 28k dial up so it took like a week to download it, and we shared it on floppy drives (took about eight if i remember). There was like four of us when we finally run the game together and at first we all went "is this it?", but once i took the game home i warmed up to it. I also discovered mouse look at the end of the third episode, which opened up the value of the 3D engine in a huge way and sort of added to the enjoyment of the game. Kinda funny you'd think after having played most of the game with keyboard only it would take me some time to get use it but instead i instantly latched on to it and never played the game with keyboard again.

As for Quake 3, i was absolutely livid at the news the game was going to be multiplayer only and avoided it for almost a year after release, together with Unreal Tournament. My friends eventually forced me to pick both games up but it still pissed me off for a long time afterwards. I think calling it Quake 3 specifically was a big mistake. If it went by another name it would have lessened the butthurt. Unreal Tournament DID use an alternative name but my butthurt about Quake 3 bleeded over the other game.

Last edited:

A horse of course

The mad man did it.

Sec, need to crack open a can of monster energy drink.

*sips*

K i'm ready.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3280075/

Energy Drinks and Psychiatric Patients

The mechanism of action by which energy drinks induce or exacerbate mental illness is thought to be by way of caffeine and its effects on neurotransmitters.40 Through adenosine A1 and A2A receptor antagonism, caffeine inhibits the inhibitory effects of adenosine on dopamine, thus increasing the psychoactivity of dopaminergic systems (D1 and D2 receptors acted on by A1 and A2A, respectively)41 affecting mood, executive functioning, salience attribution, cognition, and regulation of behaviors. This appears to be true as caffeine has been shown to induce manic symptoms in those without bipolar disorder, and psychosis in those without a previously diagnosed psychotic disorder.4244 These symptoms tend to resolve with discontinuation or significant reduction of caffeine consumption.42,43
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3280075/#B43

flyingjohn

Arcane
I wonder if he is ever going to review all those weird fan mission compilations for 90's fps games like demon gate?

DraQ

Arcane
I'm not convinced enough to try getting stabbed in my crotch, i mean, getting past the first area.

Because I started it.
:smug:

People also "hate" Xen in Half Life where as i actually loved that bit, possibly because i actually understood what they were trying to do there.
People apparently hate Xen because they are butthurt about some light, half assed FPP platforming or something.
But they are morons and thus easily disregarded. :obviously:

Anyway:
  • Q2 is a very competently executed bland, boring and insultingly easy game full of competently executed bland, boring and easy content (it's literally the only content it has).
  • Daikatana is janky, derpy, but creative mess.
  • Q1 is lack of ambition personified, it sets out to accomplish single goal and does it surprisingly well, despite turbulent development, discarding everything that doesn't play into that - including even use button from Doom.
Pretty much everything Id did from kicking Romero out onwards (inclusive) has been a mistake.

lightbane

Arcane
  • Q2 is a very competently executed bland, boring and insultingly easy game full of competently executed bland, boring and easy content (it's literally the only content it has).
  • Q1 is lack of ambition personified, it sets out to accomplish single goal and does it surprisingly well, despite turbulent development, discarding everything that doesn't play into that - including even use button from Doom.

For what's worth, Q1 and 2 also have kickass soundtrack, so it's not all that bad. Moreover, they don't have NPCs that you have to babysit around, nor were unplayable messes in day 1 IIRC.

DraQ

Arcane

For what's worth, Q1 and 2 also have kickass soundtrack, so it's not all that bad. Moreover, they don't have NPCs that you have to babysit around, nor were unplayable messes in day 1 IIRC.
No Q1 is great, just unambitious in all regards but engine.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Playing Quake against anyone from Bielsko-Biała is traumatizing. Just anyone even remotely connected to the scene.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Please expound, I'm genuinely curious now.

The bunch connected to RooS that had an old forum I forgot the name about. You'd play someone who did QW in the old days on dm4, he'd wipe the floor with you resulting in a negative score. They didn't like dm6, and ztndm3 was exotic to them.

Damn I remember these dm4 matches. I'd grenade and rocket the guy coming out of the upper room, regardless of whether it was from the ledge or the thunderbolt, he'd barely sustain any damage and make a semi-direct hit with the RL. Then you have that perfect air control around corners (e.g. tele to red armor, around ledges to red armor, etc.). I also played some midair and that mode is amusing, geared toward olschool psychopaths.

My preferred experience was closer to Quake 2, like that on dm6 -- slower, more tactical, deliberative.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Damn we'd play in the middle of the night on pooh's server with ping less than 10 ms. But I remember my Q2 days a lot fonder than that.

There was an ISP server (actually a pretty big ISP covering half the city) with pretty competent guys. About 10 regulars with some others. I met some of them at overnight internet cafe events twice. Knew one guy personally and we hung out at my place. He was a student and I was 15 at the time.

Of all things I gave up since the "anti-cheat" bullshit required by all servers stopped providing a Linux binary. Also servers in other cities had abhorrent 2-3% packet loss that made the game unplayable (at least before r1q2/q2pro).

Also there was a meetup at another city where I drank vodka for the second time (drank beer since 15, puked vodka mixed with champagne at 16) when I was 17. Had a beef with one guy and he actually brought a big stick (some 2m long) to beat me with. Somehow didn't happen after I laughed at the stick.

It was a pretty bad time in my life in general but these are fond memories.

I'm thinking of adding a threaded (play with vsync, use netcode at higher FPS) mode to q2pro. Feedback?

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Q2 is a very competently executed bland, boring and insultingly easy game

Multiplayer is good in Q2. Funnily enough, you can run multiplayer by downloading the demo and applying the multiplayer patch over it.

It was a shit game before people learned how to move faster than just walking. It's actually pretty easy for anyone playing multiplayer. I wasn't too good at the game and could (probably still do) execute most of them.

That's the idiomatic Q2 gameplay:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Civvie about another Doom movie

not available on YT thanks to Universal

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom