Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Franklin Payne (hello Arcanum enjoyers!).

rubinstein

Educated
very mediocre video from civvie. i feel like there are other max payne vids that cover all aspects of the game better, in more details and with more care. well, they are usually way longer, true, but max payne deserves long videos as it is very complex game, despite its premise being rather unassuming. nevertheless, many of his recent videos dont feel as fun as they used to imo. is this nigga at this stage when he thinks that we will watch anything from him just because it has Civvie11™ slapped on it? or maybe its just me being bored with the format after all these years.

getting this game to run properly on modern machines is, or at least used to be, a major Richard Payne. i played this game on fugitive for the first time like 4 years ago, and i was surprised how difficult it is. i wouldnt consider myself to be an exceptional shooters gamer, but dying on every second goon in later stages made me feel like a low DEX fool. adaptive difficulty implementation* being ass contributed to this feeling, but later on i learnt that setting up the game just to run is not enough to get the proper experience. "shallow dives" i encountered make the game feel extremely difficult as well. not sure about current state of Payne modding, but dodging may still require some additional tweaks or fixes. if there are people who still havent experienced playing this masterpiece, but are willing to do so, i recommend researching how to set it up properly.

i found something useful in comment section under josh strifes MP video, becuase josh created over 90 mins of footage while suffering from these "shallow dives". may be useful:
"Just a quick PSA for those looking to play this game:
You may have noticed from Josh's footage that Max tends to slide along and clip through the floor in his shoot-dodge animation—this is a bug resulting from running the game at anything above 60FPS. So after installing the required compatibility patches, don't forget to cap your frame-rate if you want Max to dodge through the air like he was designed to."

*civvie kinda explained it, but it can be easily missed and lacks clarity. heres how it works:
"The game scaled its difficulty based on your performance, if you were good enemies started getting more health and your accuracy dropped. If your kept dying they would go weaker. Except it only took effect if you viewed the whole Max's death animation until the end and not skipped to game load. "Fugitive" the base difficulty could eventually scaled up to be more difficult than "hard" setting."

Last edited:

Hobknobling

Learned
very mediocre video from civvie. i feel like there are other max payne vids that cover all aspects of the game better, in more details and with more care. well, they are usually way longer, true, but max payne deserves long videos as it is very complex game, despite its premise being rather unassuming. nevertheless, many of his recent videos dont feel as fun as they used to imo. is this nigga at this stage when he thinks that we will watch anything from him just because it has Civvie11™ slapped on it? or maybe its just me being bored with the format after all these years.
He has always been sloppy and very obviously tries to build narratives in his videos instead of doing them matter-of-fact. He will ignore glaring faults in a game if he has made the decision to praise something. Which I think generally is fine unless he is trying to push something he was involved with like Selaco or Postal 4.

Like stated before, I would really steer clear from this dudes videos if you are looking for customer reviews or media analysis.

rubinstein

Educated
josh strifes

Yeah but josh strife hayes is British and fucking boring. Why would I, or anyone else ever watch one of his videos? No offense to the the guy but he is a living sleep aid.
i only mentioned strife, because of a very important comment, which i found ages ago under his MP video. if you dont like 2h pretentious retrospectives (thats understandable, im not a fan myself) then civvie would have been an amazing youtuber to research such wearisome videos, trim excess fat, and make his video thats both entertaining and informative. but i am kinda frustrated with how he tackled "informative" part this time. he himself called MP to be a legendary game, but is it reflected in the way he talks about it? he occasionaly mentions some interesting facts, or things outside gameplay loop, but quickly goes back to just covering actions on the screen. this episode felt like a checklist at times. "mention difficulty bug ✓, mention basic symbolism ✓..."
imo you can make much better video with such source material.

Like stated before, I would really steer clear from this dudes videos if you are looking for customer reviews or media analysis.
maybe thats fair. but i feel like i always learnt a lot from his videos about essential boomer shooters like doom, quake, blood etc. he obviously cares deeply about these games, especially when talking about legendary devs like "archmage from another dimension, john carmack" or whatever his current title is. MP seems to be a game slightly outside his specialization, and maybe thats why he did a mediocre job covering it. i simply expected more from a material about max. this game deserves much better than necrovision-tier video.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, I'm also not really a fan of those big ass, hour long retrospectives.
You can make the review more interesting with memes and keep it concise and touching only the key aspects, gameplay and mechanics of the game.

Caim

Arcane
People whose main hobby is youtube watch either the sub-1 minute shorts or massive multi-hour productions that can be longer than The Lord of the Rings.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
No Clear Sky, eh

edit
not a lot of views
guess the boomer shooter fatigue is starting to ramp up
good - too much of that already when best stuff was released at the begining

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Viewcount might be because of either the blood in the title card (which YT has been cracking down on, apparently) or because "gooning" is a bad word and the video is being punished algorithmically.

EDIT: See? Age restricted.

Last edited:

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
I'll be honest, that game looks boring as hell. I doubt anyone played it which is why the video isn't performing well.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
"God Left the World to the Devil and He Didn't Even Want It"

never heard of it
though it was NeuroHunter, a german (?) answer to Deus Ex... and graphic kinda resemble those from Precursors (from former GSC team) giving hope that he tried that janky trio of open world games before world had enough of this shit

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Plot and voice acting lean very hard into the "so bad it's good" territory.
Never played Neuro but i think i heard about it. Some russian game journalists used to proudly shill this game as "our answer to CoD and Halo" back when it was released.

"God Left the World to the Devil and He Didn't Even Want It"

never heard of it
though it was NeuroHunter, a german (?) answer to Deus Ex... and graphic kinda resemble those from Precursors (from former GSC team) giving hope that he tried that janky trio of open world games before world had enough of this shit

Jimmy is such a fucking idiot that it physically hurts.

GreyViper

Prophet
I have also concluded Jimmy is and idiot and really takes talent to write character like this. Also fuck Jimmy.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
There is something inherently repulsive and ogre-like about Slavs trying to ape human speech.

lightbane

Arcane
It's fascinating how Ruskies seem to be physically incapable of having good endings in their works, be movies, books, games or whatever. So far, they always end badly or bittersweetly at best. Sometimes, the bleak end comes out of nowhere, making it unintentionally hilarious.

As for that game, of course even the retard MC becomes an edgelord, instead of growing hardened but still keeping his values.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Sometimes, the bleak end comes out of nowhere, making it unintentionally hilarious.
Funnily enough, there are actually some famous russian tales where the opposite happens - a bleak ending would actually be perfect, but the writer pulls the rug out from under your feet and shoves a happy resolution at you out of nowhere. Case in point: Crime and Punishment.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's fascinating how Ruskies seem to be physically incapable of having good endings in their works, be movies, books, games or whatever. So far, they always end badly or bittersweetly at best. Sometimes, the bleak end comes out of nowhere, making it unintentionally hilarious.

As for that game, of course even the retard MC becomes an edgelord, instead of growing hardened but still keeping his values.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dostoevsky..._meme_has_been_posted_before_but_it/#lightbox

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
TL;DR: It's an even bigger pain in the ass than Plutonia.
I got through the first level, no problem. The second map in Legacy of Rust is an insane difficulty ramp up. It's night and day in terms of difficulty. I even went back and played a few levels of Plutonia to try to figure out how rusty my Doom skills were.

I got through the first level, no problem. The second map in Legacy of Rust is an insane difficulty ramp up. It's night and day in terms of difficulty. I even went back and played a few levels of Plutonia to try to figure out how rusty my Doom skills were.
One commenter on the video said that modern Doom WADs make Plutonia look like regular Doom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom