Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you are literally the #1 faction in the world by realmsize, you have zero incentive to switch religions

Yeah, and this is why neither the Roman Emperors nor the Germanic barbarians who conquered Rome converted to the Christian reli.... oh wait.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
If you are literally the #1 faction in the world by realmsize, you have zero incentive to switch religions to that of a far weaker enemy, let alone to a religion that will piss off all your vassals. While CK2's systems can have cool emergent moments, this case strikes me as the AI having some terrible weighting in its decision making somewhere. Considering it vassalized the biggest Sunni faction after converting, I think that's why it converted, but the better route would have just been to annex them entirely.

(This problem occurs in most Paradox games, actually: the AI is just really unlikely to press its advantage if it is #1.)

That's because the system in CK is not about nations or factions but about dynasties and their individual members with all of their quircks. It's not about what's best for the realm but about king Henry deciding that he really needed to get a divorce and fuck that pope if he wasn't going to give him it. Real history is filled with fun shit like that with far reaching consequences and CK is one of the few games that really pays attention to the human factor in history.

Zeriel

Arcane
If you are literally the #1 faction in the world by realmsize, you have zero incentive to switch religions

Yeah, and this is why neither the Roman Emperors nor the Germanic barbarians who conquered Rome converted to the Christian reli.... oh wait.

This isn't reflected in game mechanics, though. From such a great distance, I'm not comfortable commenting on the why's and how's of historical events like Constantine's conversion, but from a pure gamist perspective (and does the AI care about anything else?), it's a pretty dumb decision.

If you are literally the #1 faction in the world by realmsize, you have zero incentive to switch religions to that of a far weaker enemy, let alone to a religion that will piss off all your vassals. While CK2's systems can have cool emergent moments, this case strikes me as the AI having some terrible weighting in its decision making somewhere. Considering it vassalized the biggest Sunni faction after converting, I think that's why it converted, but the better route would have just been to annex them entirely.

(This problem occurs in most Paradox games, actually: the AI is just really unlikely to press its advantage if it is #1.)

you, as a person, as a living being, don't actually *choose" if you want to adopt a religion or not. you just take it.

Grinolf

Arcane

Constantine didn't switch religion completely out of blue, because he suddenly been inspired by Jesus teaching. Christianity by that time already had a strong position within the Roman Empire and all attempts extirpate it failed. Not the last reason to it was the Roman Empire, which pass a whole century in the civil wars and decadence, and it could be destroyed in that time. Christian philosophy was a very appealing in that time not only to poor people, but also to other social classes, including elite.
Of course, it is unclear how much for Constantine it was a political move and how much he share their teaching. It is very interesting subject, but there isn't much thing to do except creating various speculations. But I don't think it correct to compare that situation to AI stupidity.
And there also is a difference from converting pagan to one of abrahamic religions and converting from one abrahamic religion to another.

Grinolf

Arcane
And there also is a difference from converting pagan to one of abrahamic religions and converting from one abrahamic religion to another.

UPD. For some reason, I forgot, that conversation was about pagan Roman Empire, not christian one, while I wrote my post. In that case, it only means, that religion mechanic in TOG was created for different pagans, and didn't designed to work for that particular player created situation. I don't see any reason to blame AI for that, nor seek in that situation some sence or deep meaning.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, my only response to it really was surprise, since I thought blobbing was going to be the result of giving up control to the AI, not total and instantaneous self-destruction.

It is funny you have to edit the decision files to let a Hellenic Roman Empire have its imperial reconquest casus belli. Because only Christians could possibly revive the legacy of Rome. I guess it's the Holy part of Holy Roman Empire that matters. (Actually, AFAIR, you can't even reform the Empire in the first place without being Christian.)

Will be interesting to see if the converter gives it the same treatment, sounds like it will from what Johan was saying (unreformed pagan -> generic Shamanist/Animist). What I don't get is why they didn't just make Hellenic behave as a reformed pagan religion from the beginning, it would be zero extra work and the tooltip says it IS reformed, even though the game engine says it isn't.

Multi-headed Cow

So, uh... I decided to get my council married so they'd shit out some kids and keep the world populated and all, so I got them all wives, and now I hear babies grunting at me every 5 fucking minutes when another one shits out a new baby. Any idea how to stop "Council members you don't give a shit about have babies!" popups from showing up in high priority?

The council members and their wives all aren't marked as people of interest. I don't know if my council never got married naturally before (Never paid attention to them, really) so I'm not sure if this has always been the case or what. Kind of annoying though.

Grinolf

Arcane
Yeah, my only response to it really was surprise, since I thought blobbing was going to be the result of giving up control to the AI, not total and instantaneous self-destruction.

It is funny you have to edit the decision files to let a Hellenic Roman Empire have its imperial reconquest casus belli. Because only Christians could possibly revive the legacy of Rome. I guess it's the Holy part of Holy Roman Empire that matters. (Actually, AFAIR, you can't even reform the Empire in the first place without being Christian.)

Will be interesting to see if the converter gives it the same treatment, sounds like it will from what Johan was saying (unreformed pagan -> generic Shamanist/Animist). What I don't get is why they didn't just make Hellenic behave as a reformed pagan religion from the beginning, it would be zero extra work and the tooltip says it IS reformed, even though the game engine says it isn't.

But Paradox wasn't create that religion to be playable. Although the first thing, that some people did right after TOG was realizes, wasn't raiding Europe as one of Paradox staff's ancestor, as it was intended. No, they started explore their benevolent empire, found that they can create ruler as roman pagan in editor and, not surprisingly, did that.
All that uninterrupted chain of ER/Roman emperors up until Caesar Augustus was only a flavour thing, that Paradox did in order to please roman's fans.
But I am pretty sure, that there are some mods, that improve that situation, but I am not a fan of alternative history, so I can't help with it.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
I see a reason to have my clergy like me so they send their tax collection to me, instead of the pope.

But what about the fat mayors? Do I need to have them like me for any reason? They don't give me more/less money based on my popularity right? I guess the only benefit to having them like me is that they will be less likely to plot against me?

Zeriel

Arcane
There's really no reason to give a shit what mayors think unless you have given them landed titles (county+). Well, and of course for certain law votes.

Mayors give you less money if they are below 0 opinion. Less levies below 100 opinion. Same rule as for clergy and nobles.

Of course, since they primarily for the money and less keen to backstab you, you'll care less about their opinion than nobles and to a lesser extent clergy.

I downloaded "Old Gods" and I must say that I felt kinda cheated when only difference was those constanty puking vassals during Jarilo Fest. Well, ok, once some people started fucking mid party and my King died right after this event so at least I could larp for a second that he had heart-attack and had some laught at that.

Shitty Jarilo fest event aside, as glorious Wendish Empire I was fending off Crusades for some time and finally decided to "reform" my faith. I felt all superior to those idiot catholics waging war because some fat dude in rome told them to untill I realised that I'm invading other slavic bro's just because my 11 years old sister told me to.

- "Dude why are you doing this, we are brothers in faith!"
- "BOOKS, FUCKERS, DO YOU HAVE THIS SHIT WRITTEN DOWN?!"
- "... What?"
- "FUCKING HERETICS!"

"Old Gods" feels like mod and pretty half assed at that. But hey, CK2 is so good that even weak DLC's are worth it, or I'm just biased.

Also, norse raids are kinda meh: "DRAGON SHIPS FULL OF VIKINGS ARRIVED TO STARE AT YOUR FORTS IN DISBELIEF".

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
"Old Gods" feels like mod and pretty half assed at that. But hey, CK2 is so good that even weak DLC's are worth it, or I'm just biased.

"Old Gods" really means "Norse Gods", you're only seeing a small part of the content in the DLC if you're not playing as a Viking.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

"Old Gods" really means "Norse Gods", you're only seeing a small part of the content in the DLC if you're not playing as a Viking.
Yea, around 80% of the DLC's unique content is for Norse, say 10% for Zoros (what with the Shaoshyant biz and all that), and 10% split between Slavic, Tengriist, West African and Finnish pagans.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Divine incest or rape dungeon - which is better and why?
Why not both?
uPxszTHh.jpg

I thought that being stuck with Gavelkind will be a pain but years after reforming Slavic faith I still keep it:

"15 demesne size? FULL BAG PLEASE!"

But that's with empire title, shitton of "just in case" temples and lots of money for assasins. And, on the other hand, give me some modding skills and half a chance and everybody would be permanently stuck in gavelkind and minimal crown authority because that's makes for better game experience (and much more RAGE but RAGE! is name of the game in CK2).

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
The game stopped working for me yesterday. I have the game on Steam. The launch screen shows up and no DLC is listed and the "Start Crusader Kings 2" button just closes the launcher without actually launching anything.

Paradox forums suck. Any idea what I could try? I already removed the local files and reinstalled and it didn't do any good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom