Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Ivan

Arcane
So I;ve never played this before (booted and was overwhelemed/or drunk). Anyway, there's a sale on steam and the question is what DLC is worth the bucks? Are most just skins/portraits?

Grinolf

Arcane
I bought (vanilla) CK2 not so long ago, I haven't yet finished my 1st playthrough (started earliest possible in vanilla) and I'm enjoying it. One of the best Paradox games I've played. Since everything Paradox is on sale, which DLC should I get? I would probably buy only 1 since I still have a lot of playtime to get out of vanilla.
Old Gods probably add the most of content, but all content DLC except Sunset Invasion are worth having. India also on the weak side, since it needed in order to play as an indian character and all other features you should already have for free in patch. Cosmetic DLC could be easily skipped without missing much.
And ugh, ffs what's with all this DLC nonsense from Paradox. Skipped Victoria 2 and HoI3 from them, and when I checked out their games after that, they are all filled with DLC to the max.
Vic 2 has only two real expansions and HoI3 three ones. Others are again just cosmetic. So it reality it isn't as scary as it looks as long as one doesn't have a tendency to buy everything avaiable for the game.

7h30n

Augur
I bought (vanilla) CK2 not so long ago, I haven't yet finished my 1st playthrough (started earliest possible in vanilla) and I'm enjoying it. One of the best Paradox games I've played. Since everything Paradox is on sale, which DLC should I get? I would probably buy only 1 since I still have a lot of playtime to get out of vanilla.
Old Gods probably add the most of content, but all content DLC except Sunset Invasion are worth having. India also on the weak side, since it needed in order to play as an indian character and all other features you should already have for free in patch. Cosmetic DLC could be easily skipped without missing much.
And ugh, ffs what's with all this DLC nonsense from Paradox. Skipped Victoria 2 and HoI3 from them, and when I checked out their games after that, they are all filled with DLC to the max.
Vic 2 has only two real expansions and HoI3 three ones. Others are again just cosmetic. So it reality it isn't as scary as it looks as long as one doesn't have a tendency to buy everything avaiable for the game.

Old Gods is the one with earliest starting date? I might get that, for even longer game :)

Well honestly, I never bought DLC for games I own. I just hate the idea and what is being sold as DLC, but. There is a but... I think DLC is worth it if it's akin to expansion pack of old and CK2 (content) ones look (almost) like it.

Grinolf

Arcane
Well honestly, I never bought DLC for games I own. I just hate the idea and what is being sold as DLC, but. There is a but... I think DLC is worth it if it's akin to expansion pack of old and CK2 (content) ones look (almost) like it.

The ones for Vic 2 and HoI 3 are in fact true expansion packs. Paradox started their current DLC model with CK 2. And the main difference is, that with DLC you buy only new features and get other changes for free in patch, so as result you don't need to have a previous DLC in order to use a new one. And quality wise it doesn't look like situation changed much since most big DLC for CK 2 are pretty solid, while EU 4 ones are often lackluster, as were expansions for EU 3.
Despite all these being said, Paradox really milking their current games by selling every small thing possible. But from the other hand it's not like they force someone to buy all these things or cut a vital content in order to sell it later.

The upcoming Charlemagne DLC will push the starting date further back to 769. Dunno how that works if you don't have Old Gods.

Grinolf

Arcane
The upcoming Charlemagne DLC will push the starting date further back to 769. Dunno how that works if you don't have Old Gods.
My guess. it would have only one start date without anything in between it and Old Gods start. And without Old Gods one couldn't play as Pagan/Zoroastrian.

TripJack

Hedonist
Are all of these worthwhile? Sword of IslamLegacy of RomeThe RepublicThe Old GodsSons of AbrahamRajas of India
if you want to play as:
a mudslim, sword of islam is worthwhile
byzantines and you need extra byzantine fluff or want retinues, legacy of rome is worthwhile
a merchant republic, the republic is worthwhile
a viking rape machine, the old gods is worthwhile
a jew or want to influence pope elections as christian, sons of abraham is worthwhile
an indian, rajas of india is worthwhile

viking rape machine is probably the most entertaining of all these

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, it all depends on what/how you want to play, the DLCs have been good about expanding gameplay options for a particular style or type. I haven't bothered with Abraham or Rajas, for instance, yet.

Old Gods is probably the one must-get for anybody.

Onyxme

Novice
Remember to register your game at the paradox forum and checkout some of the awesome mods people have made. I would personally recommend the Game of Thrones mod, even if you are not interested in the ASoIaF world the mod is still in itself jaw-dropping in the amount of depth it gives CKII.

Are all of these worthwhile? Sword of IslamLegacy of RomeThe RepublicThe Old GodsSons of AbrahamRajas of India

Sword of Islam is kind of meh since playing Muslim vassals is fairly weak (basically nothing to do as soon as your ruler hits medium authority since the forced inheritance laws make it pretty much impossible to inherit through marriage), and there's few options to start as a muslim that don't have you under a king/emperor-level overlord.

Legacy of Rome is pretty weak, except it adds Retinue. Retinue are either essential to the game (if you ask paradox or casuals) or completely ruin the balance and make the game easymode (if you ask anyone sane).

Republic and old gods are pretty good. Republics almost completely rely on Retinue though, so LoR is kind of a forced purchase. And Norse religion in Old Gods gives bonuses to Retinue (you can see why mondblut wets himself over the thought of Norse Republics).

Sons of Abraham is kind of weak unless you really want to play Zoroastrian or Jewish, which are designed to be very hard starts. Otherwise it just adds some events and a few not too notable mechanics for Christians.

Rajas of India is alright if the whole concept of India being in a game called Crusader Kings doesn't bother you.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
not too notable mechanics for Christians.

Free Jew Gold.
Pay-pal voting
Pay-pal Crusade Request
Anti Pope Wars etc

I bought the Indian DLC just cause it's cheap.
I doubt I'd play it very much.

Grinolf

Arcane
Sons of Abraham unless you really want to play Zoroastrian
Zoroastrians were added in Old Gods, not SoA. It sort of counterintuitive, because Zoroastrism is very close to Abrahamic religions and have very little to do with pagans, but that how situation is, since Old Gods added a time period when Zoroastrism was still relevant, but Paradox a that point was still avoiding jews subject.

not too notable mechanics for Christians.

Free Jew Gold.
Pay-pal voting
Pay-pal Crusade Request
Anti Pope Wars etc

Give free cheesy money
Rigged Italian voting
Slightly better CB than Holy War.
Pretty sure this is in vanilla.

Nothing I would really consider notable in the same way that Pagans, Republics, Zoros, and Indians get new mechanics to play with.

Sons of Abraham unless you really want to play Zoroastrian
Zoroastrians were added in Old Gods, not SoA. It sort of counterintuitive, because Zoroastrism is very close to Abrahamic religions and have very little to do with pagans, but that how situation is, since Old Gods added a time period when Zoroastrism was still relevant, but Paradox a that point was still avoiding jews subject.

Whoops, my bad. SoA just added some content for Zoros I think (heresies and holy orders).

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
It's so funny to me, all these people complaining that they're widening and not deepening the game when Charlemagne was just the branding they're using as an excuse to add all this depth. Tribalism, viceroys, regency, new vassal mechanics, winter mechanics, reworked decadence, I can't even remember what the fuck else. No other DLC has been so focused on deepening the way the game plays. I don't even think there's been another one this big. They're slapping a Charlemagne face on it to sell it, nobody's going to buy the REVAMPED VASSAL MECHANIC DLC, but it's clearly the mechanics DLC people have been whining about for 2 years.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's so funny to me, all these people complaining that they're widening and not deepening the game when Charlemagne was just the branding they're using as an excuse to add all this depth. Tribalism, viceroys, regency, new vassal mechanics, winter mechanics, reworked decadence, I can't even remember what the fuck else. No other DLC has been so focused on deepening the way the game plays. I don't even think there's been another one this big. They're slapping a Charlemagne face on it to sell it, nobody's going to buy the REVAMPED VASSAL MECHANIC DLC, but it's clearly the mechanics DLC people have been whining about for 2 years.

What's funnier is the detours they took.
Rajah of India for one is a massive detour they took to get this far.
And I still think Elective succession is still overpowered.

Rajahs of India was definitely in the "widening" category. I agree though, Charlemagne (or the patch that comes with it) is definitely adding some cool things.

And if we're gonna talk about rebalancing OP mechanics then I wonder how Retinue are going to look in 769. Obviously they are going to need to re-scale the tech progression again so hopefully the retinue growth over time isn't exponential this time around.

It is kind of hilarious that they are reworking Decadence for... what is it... the 3rd time now?

Turrul

Augur
Rajahs of India was definitely in the "widening" category. I agree though, Charlemagne (or the patch that comes with it) is definitely adding some cool things.

And if we're gonna talk about rebalancing OP mechanics then I wonder how Retinue are going to look in 769. Obviously they are going to need to re-scale the tech progression again so hopefully the retinue growth over time isn't exponential this time around.

It is kind of hilarious that they are reworking Decadence for... what is it... the 3rd time now?

Yeah, we'll have the 3rd decadence in next patch.

I wonder if they'll get it right this time, Muslims are almost unplayable atm.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Okay, I think it'll take a second or two to figure out how to make sure the better clothes STAY in use longer or forever. I'd definately rather have my Anglo-Saxons/English, Poles, Hungarians, Germans, etc using that stuff forever based on the preview pics. The French, Italians and Iberians can look like faggets by themselves.

I'm gonna be the prettiest King at the ball!
Not if I can help it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom