Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Turrul

Augur
Paradox Changelog said:
-Added Kharijite religion as a possible heresy for Ibadi.

Kharijite being Ibadi heresy is just :roll:

Other than that, finally we have this viceroy mechanic. Only thing that I still really want is cadet branches and realistic goverment system for steppe nomads. Removal of Seljuk doomstack would be great too.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Paradox Changelog said:
-Added Kharijite religion as a possible heresy for Ibadi.

Kharijite being Ibadi heresy is just :roll:

Other than that, finally we have this viceroy mechanic. Only thing that I still really want is cadet branches and realistic goverment system for steppe nomads. Removal of Seljuk doomstack would be great too.
To be fair, all the Mideast religions in CK2 are all kinds of wrong (like Yazidis being a heresy of Sunnis).

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
268x268.resizedimage

Kharijite does not think itself as heresy.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

(Based on pics, the portrait pack looks like it'll place solidly among the Turkic/Norse top-tier in terms of quality; definately gonna mod Sephardim to use those I think; I completely missed this one)

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

ITZ here

First thing that strikes me: The new Tribal Holding is a gigantic nerf to all pagans. The base income isn't merely a "little" lower than Castle. It's 1/8th of a Castle's income, at 0.5 base income. Which means not even 7 slot provinces will have Tribal income equal to even the most squalid corner of Buttfuckistan, since it's +50% bonus per empty slot. Tribal Holding also has 1/3rd of a Castle's Fort value, and half the levies and garrison (and shittier troops too). The only benefit the Tribal Holding has right now is that it reinforces levies 25% faster, whoopee.

Last edited:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
ITZ here

First thing that strikes me: The new Tribal Holding is a gigantic nerf to all pagans. The base income isn't merely a "little" lower than Castle. It's 1/8th of a Castle's income, at 0.5 base income. Which means not even 7 slot provinces will have Tribal income equal to even the most squalid corner of Buttfuckistan, since it's +50% bonus per empty slot. Tribal Holding also has 1/3rd of a Castle's Fort value, and half the levies and garrison (and shittier troops too). The only benefit the Tribal Holding has right now is that it reinforces levies 25% faster, whoopee.
day one mod?:codexisfor:

Vaarna_Aarne

ITZ here

day one mod?:codexisfor:
Nah, I usually wait until the first patch after doing premilary scouting of the features and the situation under the hood before I get jiggy with it. And usually I only mod things that will be easily compatible with other mods, aside from my favourite subject: The cultures file.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Wasn't the entire point to make tribals stand out more by making their system different than feudalism, their income low and their (possible) troop numbers large? If that worked out I'm interested.

Vaarna_Aarne

I didn't inspect much more, but at first glance it looked largely out of reach to anyone except Norse, since no one else could muster the troops needed for sufficient raiding in order to generate Prestige. I didn't check if Tribals pay for troop upkeep, which at this income would be the only way to balance being completely unable to generate gold. If they do, they can't even raid because they'll never have enough cash to pay for troops in the field beyond few months. Which is at best enough to raid another Tribal, but the gains would be so miniscule due to non-existent base tax that Prestige gain is negligible and you're lucky to make back what you lost on upkeep.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
started playing karlings and then the game crashed :M
Not a bug, a feature. Karlings aren't meant to survive.
But the new changes to assassination make Karlings even harder to exterminate!
So I bought Charlemagne and played as Karlings but my game crashed. I read that reinstall should help. I reinstalled the game but now I have no DLCs at all, even though I bought them all. They are activated on Steam, but not available in the game.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Removal of the Assassinate button that cost gold for an attempt. Minor change to plots (spymaster can apparently give half his intrigue as plot power now). People can also now go into hiding.
Also plots may have an issue right now, or it may just be how the new "In Hiding" mechanic works, but at 400% plot power it took 20 years to get even a single attempt against a guy.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Do you get the tribal updates even without the DLC or do they only affect the shit at the new start date...?

XenomorphII

Prophet
Tribal holdings are around. Haven't played with any of them though, and haven't kept up with any specifics on changes, so I am not sure.

One funny thing I noticed: Tribal leaders actually get more from their vassal's levies. Since they actually call their vassals to war, the vassal gives their full levy, where normally a feudal lord calling levies loses more depending on whether they are out of the dejure title and all that. Downside of course being that you can't directly control them and have to hope they follow you.

Also there is a fairly powerful decision to spend 500 prestige and get 2.5k troops while at war. You can do this multiple times in the same war. So long as you stay at war (declaring another before ending your previous), you can keep them around indefinitely and theoretically have a limitless event horde. You're still paying maintenance though, so your pathetic tribal income hurts you. But income from looting and from non-tribal vassals in land you've conquered works fine.

Also your steward/marshal can be put on new tasks, one of which will semi-randomly summon a decent event stack, think it scales with your base levy size (1-1.5k as a super duke running Mali). If you don't immediately use it by DoWing someone will absolutely tank your prestige through a penalty event.

Altogether my Songhay invaded the Umayyads with a 7.5k stack and won Marrakech without even using mercs. Annoying thing: If you enact a centralization level then move capital to an area with lower legalism, you go back down.

Last edited:

Multi-headed Cow

Removal of the Assassinate button that cost gold for an attempt
:mob:

That's a shame. I thought it was somewhat balanced by the fact that it was/is expensive as hell and had a poor chance of success compared to plot assassinations, but it was still useful for taking out shitheads planning on adventuring into your land. Buff to spymaster intrigue being added to assassination plots is kinda nice though, and "In hiding" could be good. Just looked up how that works. Take a diplomacy penalty, can't lead armies, get a relation hit with your vassals, can't do events like tournaments and grand hunts and shit, and are prone to get events that give negative traits. Sorta neat I guess. Seems like it would only really be worth it if you're a new king/want to protect a promising heir/are really really hated. Not sure I can even remember the last time a character I was playing was assassinated in CK2. I think when I was playing a 5 year old girl in a regency to the throne and had an unfortunate accident that flung me out of a tower.

XenomorphII

Prophet
I was disappointed by it. Sure it could be abused if you were massive (or saved up/raided a vast amount), but otherwise I would have preferred adding a timer on the action (so there would be some delay between the sending of the assassin, and the results of the action). Overall, I feel like too often pdox makes changes based on how broken stuff gets once an empire reaches massive size instead of looking at how things work with more normal sized realms.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Oh shit, it's out!

In Hiding sounds good, something active you can actually do if you're really fucking worried. Maybe I'll make some King that cloisters himself in hiding his entire life.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Some of these mechanics sound like precursors to something you'd see in a 'fall of Rome' era. I can only hope...

sser

Arcane
Developer
Some of these mechanics sound like precursors to something you'd see in a 'fall of Rome' era. I can only hope...

Crusader Kings II: EU Rome II: Fall of Rome.

My kinda game. Seriously though, I'm just waiting for Paradox to take everything they've learned from CKII and EU and put it back into the Rome genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom