Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Patch notes foretell a huge rape of muslims with the new crusade system. I doubt they will balance it successfully - crusades targeting kingdoms AND a more unified crusade front? Say hello to 100+k armies at least.

There has to be some mad Jihad update too. :roll:
Well, there's two things that should happen without player intervention: 1) BE is conquered, and 2) Crusade gains eventually taken out by countering Jihads.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
In the system now Jihads are mirror images of Crusades. Just a different name. I'm sure they'll keep that. Looking forward to the patch for some needed incline, especially since the big mods have all gone down a road I dislike. One throws everything and the kitchen sink into the game and makes a mess and the other is trying to 'balance' for his beloved mp so it has turned into yet another mappainter.

Vaarna_Aarne, 1 never was as much a certainty as many believe and 2 took centuries irl. However I would very much like to see the power of blobs reduced if only to make a more vibrant game.

And gimme back the childbirth and childhood death events from CK1. Vanilla is way too much popamole in this aspect. Medieval life was uncertain and often fragile and this was splendidly simulated in the first game.

Vaarna_Aarne

1 is historical, and should be standard even in every campaign without player involvement. And in general, playing BE should be mega-hard mode instead of super-easy mode.

The thing with 2 is that you either end up with endlessly expanding crusader holdings unless Pope needs some gigantic authority to call a crusade, and has major penalties to accumulating that with the Holy Land held.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
1 is historical, and should be standard even in every campaign without player involvement. And in general, playing BE should be mega-hard mode instead of super-easy mode.

While I disagree with your first point since CK2 is not a rigid history simulator but a sandbox dynasty sim in a medieval setting I do agree with the second. Byzantium should have a very hard time. Then again, I think blobs are way too powerfull as they are. France and the HRE in the game are for instance powerhouses while irl they where very weak with most power being in the hands of local lords. Crown Authority goes some way in trying to simulate this but defenitely needs some work.

The thing with 2 is that you either end up with endlessly expanding crusader holdings unless Pope needs some gigantic authority to call a crusade, and has major penalties to accumulating that with the Holy Land held.

Again the history sim vs dynasty sim sandbox thing. I've been playing a modded game mostly so I don't know if the muslims manage to hold their own in vanilla atm. Imo, crusading/jihad should be a mayor undertaking and keeping hold of conquered possessions should be very hard.

BTW, the last patch dev diary is up and talks about adding plots, death causes and a shitload (300+) events. Looking great!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...1.05-Development-Diary-3-of-3-April-13th-2012

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
BE can't be killed when it's a simulation. Either it would screw itself up by multiple bad decisions, or it should stay. Considering it has strong chance of survival, the most common situation should be BE survival.

Or do you want them to gimp it as HOI3? They tried to get so hard to... Actually either its a simulation and then the outcome should be result of the simulation, or they will screw up everyone.

Vaarna_Aarne

While I disagree with your first point since CK2 is not a rigid history simulator but a sandbox dynasty sim in a medieval setting I do agree with the second. Byzantium should have a very hard time. Then again, I think blobs are way too powerfull as they are. France and the HRE in the game are for instance powerhouses while irl they where very weak with most power being in the hands of local lords. Crown Authority goes some way in trying to simulate this but defenitely needs some work.

Again the history sim vs dynasty sim sandbox thing. I've been playing a modded game mostly so I don't know if the muslims manage to hold their own in vanilla atm. Imo, crusading/jihad should be a mayor undertaking and keeping hold of conquered possessions should be very hard.

BTW, the last patch dev diary is up and talks about adding plots, death causes and a shitload (300+) events. Looking great!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...1.05-Development-Diary-3-of-3-April-13th-2012
My own little change to the independence_cb did a lot to make life somewhat harder for France and HRE, as rebellions were not a mild annoyance anymore. Still, it is a stopgap measure. As for Jihads, so far in my experience in vanilla as long as Mongols don't decide that Muslims are a more fun target, the Muslims will eventually always push back crusaders... But eventually BE will just roll over all the Muslim countries in an unstoppable conquest, which is a massive problem.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Make Civil War have a 20-30 point relationship penalty and you'll see that blobs are having a way harder time. So does everyone else btw. Incidently setting both HRE and France to have low crown authority also keeps them from becoming OP. Limiting the speed of culture spread also has huge consequences for making it much harder to take and keep provinces.

Multi-headed Cow

Pretty goddamn pumped for the patch. Been loving the absolute shit out of CK2 after I took the time to learn it, and glad to see they're supporting it well. Since it's Paradox there will probably be at least one expansion and I can already safely say I'll buy it. Fuck, I'm even tempted by the shitty cosmetic DLC.

Think I might pick up EU3 next time it goes on sale on Steam, too. I gather it's much more of a map painter than CK2, and I'd be missing out on my glorious medieval drama and intrigue, but now that I've got the basics of how a Paradox grand strategy game plays I'm interested. Got a buddy who swears up and down EU3 is the best Paradox strategy game.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
EU3 is kinda less developed in comparison, there is way more map painting and less... drama I guess? But it has good mods that somewhat enhance the difficulty and experience.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Been playing as the emir of Toledo with the newest CK2+. Tried Zaragoza at first, but got tastelessly raped real quick. Toledo has a better position and more land, but it's still definitely hard, especially in the beginning. The whole christian Spain is ruled by the same dynasty, which means you can't just waltz in and take their land, and if they gang up on you, you're fucked. Ragheads, on the other hand, are divided, with several small emirates and sheikhdoms ripe for the picking for Castille or Aragon. The fact that only christian nations in this game have any female family members doesn't help either - it takes at least seventeen years to make any alliances.
Thankfully the spaniards in my game were more interested in fighting themselves (it's really funny - as they're all kinsmen, the first to invite allies wins, even if he's much, much weaker. any other houses, like the portuguese or barcelona's are fucked though, if they want to get independent) than start reconquista. This enabled me to snatch Valladolid first, and then duchy of Leon. Then I assassinated two castillian kings, usurped the kingdom (now caliphate) of Castille and took back two former sunni provinces. But then the fucking pope called a crusade for Valladolid, and the sneaky sevillan motherfuckers stabbed me in the back. Now I'm fighting England and Sevilla and my forces are weakened after an invasion from Apulia. Tough times ahead, I may have to give up on still catholic Valladolid to defend the prosperous Cordoba.
Not much going in Europe right now, Scotland took Northumberland from England, Sweden fell apart, while Lettigalians are currently the biggest romuvan power, they conquered both the curonians and Polotsk.
I made it. Beat my raghead brothers first and then focused on the crusaders. How can I make a crusade to end? So far I've fought them three times, two white peaces and a win against Genoa - with another one incoming. It's getting pretty boring really.
Also, I fucking hate my king. His skills are mediocre and he's already 82 years old, but his heir is genetically superior and I can't controll how he marries his own children (to some shitty fucks). Ismail please die already!

What's pretty amazing in my game is that the pagans are kicking ass and chewing gum. HARD. Check this out:
2751147A025D01620FC314956E071E3DB310CC4F

The russian princes were entangled in some sort of succession or independence wars between themselves, which made them scattered and vulnerable. Pagans, on the other hand, made some kind of super-allainces. Zemigallians were first to conquer Polotsk, a few years ago Estonia made a grab for Novgorod. Samoyeds won something too. The yatviags were at first dealt with by Volhynia, but then they had some internal problems and both lithuanians and pruthenians attacked them. Apparently Lithuania was first to claim their prize.
Jarl Erik got independent a few years from the start of the game. He was in a pretty bad position, all vassals went away too. His son, however, made Sweden pay. Yet probably most mind-bending thing is going on the southern coast of Baltic. CHECK OUT THESE FUCKING POMERALIANS. Not only they've actually survived, they've got Greater Poland and are currently winning against the whole HRE! Mecklemburg doesn't look like it currently (a succession crisis and Wolgast trying to break free), but they've beaten the northern powerhouse that is Denmark and conquered the whole peninsula. Norway are probably the only ones winning against pagans.

Pretty goddamn pumped for the patch. Been loving the absolute shit out of CK2 after I took the time to learn it, and glad to see they're supporting it well. Since it's Paradox there will probably be at least one expansion and I can already safely say I'll buy it. Fuck, I'm even tempted by the shitty cosmetic DLC.

Think I might pick up EU3 next time it goes on sale on Steam, too. I gather it's much more of a map painter than CK2, and I'd be missing out on my glorious medieval drama and intrigue, but now that I've got the basics of how a Paradox grand strategy game plays I'm interested. Got a buddy who swears up and down EU3 is the best Paradox strategy game.

Get them all. Vicky2 has been growing on me more lately, too. Needs more revolts, though.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Having a good time with Lubreck. Still trying to get a hang of the alliance and succession system. My old man finally kicked the bucket and split our "empire" between myself and a half-brother. Naturally, I killed off my heir-less bro and now the land is one again. I now have a claim on some area in West England for who the fuck knows what reason (I married a Welsh princess a long time ago, but that husband -- the first guy -- is dead). I married my daughters all away because whatever. I don't even know what to do with them, really. The "alliances" they get me are worthless. I'm not sure if I want to take Mecklenburg (all of it) or try my hand at messing up Denmark or maybe even go long for West England (that whole country is a total mess right now; 1100-ish); don't know how to transport troops, though. I have a ton of cash on account of banishing shitty pagans left and right; also got my first king Exalted -- for throwing the most wicked keggers every year, mostly.

Also, Poland went apeshit and conquered a lot. Spain fell to the Moslems and France took a chunk down there as well. England is in total disarray after William the Conqueror died off. Denmark fights with itself a lot. HRE pushed into Italy.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, Spain is a mooselum wasteland in my game too. Crusaders aren't crusading hard enough apparently. Kingdom of Aragon is standing at the border to the eye of terror holding back the masses. Kingdom of Aragon was 1 whole county big, but requested backup from me after I married a princess from there and they're up to 5 counties now. :bro:

Even more alarming, mooselums on Italy and Sicily. It's a grimdark world for the god-emperor of mankind, bros.

Vaarna_Aarne

Been playing as the emir of Toledo with the newest CK2+. Tried Zaragoza at first, but got tastelessly raped real quick. Toledo has a better position and more land, but it's still definitely hard, especially in the beginning. The whole christian Spain is ruled by the same dynasty, which means you can't just waltz in and take their land, and if they gang up on you, you're fucked. Ragheads, on the other hand, are divided, with several small emirates and sheikhdoms ripe for the picking for Castille or Aragon. The fact that only christian nations in this game have any female family members doesn't help either - it takes at least seventeen years to make any alliances.
Thankfully the spaniards in my game were more interested in fighting themselves (it's really funny - as they're all kinsmen, the first to invite allies wins, even if he's much, much weaker. any other houses, like the portuguese or barcelona's are fucked though, if they want to get independent) than start reconquista. This enabled me to snatch Valladolid first, and then duchy of Leon. Then I assassinated two castillian kings, usurped the kingdom (now caliphate) of Castille and took back two former sunni provinces. But then the fucking pope called a crusade for Valladolid, and the sneaky sevillan motherfuckers stabbed me in the back. Now I'm fighting England and Sevilla and my forces are weakened after an invasion from Apulia. Tough times ahead, I may have to give up on still catholic Valladolid to defend the prosperous Cordoba.
Not much going in Europe right now, Scotland took Northumberland from England, Sweden fell apart, while Lettigalians are currently the biggest romuvan power, they conquered both the curonians and Polotsk.
I made it. Beat my raghead brothers first and then focused on the crusaders. How can I make a crusade to end? So far I've fought them three times, two white peaces and a win against Genoa - with another one incoming. It's getting pretty boring really.
Also, I fucking hate my king. His skills are mediocre and he's already 82 years old, but his heir is genetically superior and I can't controll how he marries his own children (to some shitty fucks). Ismail please die already!

What's pretty amazing in my game is that the pagans are kicking ass and chewing gum. HARD. Check this out:
2751147A025D01620FC314956E071E3DB310CC4F

The russian princes were entangled in some sort of succession or independence wars between themselves, which made them scattered and vulnerable. Pagans, on the other hand, made some kind of super-allainces. Zemigallians were first to conquer Polotsk, a few years ago Estonia made a grab for Novgorod. Samoyeds won something too. The yatviags were at first dealt with by Volhynia, but then they had some internal problems and both lithuanians and pruthenians attacked them. Apparently Lithuania was first to claim their prize.
Jarl Erik got independent a few years from the start of the game. He was in a pretty bad position, all vassals went away too. His son, however, made Sweden pay. Yet probably most mind-bending thing is going on the southern coast of Baltic. CHECK OUT THESE FUCKING POMERALIANS. Not only they've actually survived, they've got Greater Poland and are currently winning against the whole HRE! Mecklemburg doesn't look like it currently (a succession crisis and Wolgast trying to break free), but they've beaten the northern powerhouse that is Denmark and conquered the whole peninsula. Norway are probably the only ones winning against pagans.
That's why you never ever let your children leave court. Daddy must take care of his children personally till he dies.

Also, now that is a hugely alternate development I think. Not only just pagans, but Denmark has been beaten as well!

sser

Arcane
Developer
Is it crazy that the HRE owns both England and Italy? And Poland gobbled the east until it fractured and a few years later, almost instantly, Hungary replaced it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, my King had an affair with another woman. I just checked my family tree, checking the children and siblings of my first-born daughter who is my elected heir.

And then I saw this:

2mo75ad.jpg

My king had sired a bastard in an affair... with his own daughter. :lol:

EDIT:

Right, so... my King had 4 more illegitimate daughters. ALL OF THEM WITH HIS FIRSTBORN DAUGHTER.

I fucking love this game. My first bastard daughter has grown up already and gained the trait "ugly" - no doubt a result of the incest. :lol:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Those lithuanian hitmen. :rpgcodex:

in other news, Vitebsk is no more and Pomeralia controlls Brandenburg. Go pagans!

Kayerts

Arcane
In the system now Jihads are mirror images of Crusades. Just a different name. I'm sure they'll keep that.

Right, but crusades still benefit Christendom a lot more than jihads benefit the Muslim powers. For one thing, the "crusader" trait is one of the better things about crusading, and there's no equivalent jihadi trait.

But the bigger issue is that the caliph usually gets direct control over half of all Shiites, whereas Catholic Europe is both larger and more fractured. Consequently, equal improvements in the ability to call in brothers in faith will disproportionately help the Catholics.

Is it crazy that the HRE owns both England and Italy?

HRE conquers the rest of Italy in most games. (Usually the southern Italians get overrun by the Muslims, then the HRE begins its death march south.) England is unusual, though.

How can I make a crusade to end?

Convert to Catholicism. :troll:

Other than that, you can't. (Other than by losing one of the wars, I mean.) There's no way to get the Pope to call off the war, and crusades can go for hundreds of years.

What's pretty amazing in my game is that the pagans are kicking ass and chewing gum. HARD.

That's completely nuts. Sweden having issues is understandable because Sweden is often a clusterfuck, and I guess the Samoyeds kicking ass isn't completely impossible (must've allied with the Bjarmians?), but Pomeralia? Usually they die due to the strategic blunder they make by existing.

Kind of wish that'd happened in my game . . .

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
My king had sired a bastard in an affair... with his own daughter. :lol:

EDIT:

Right, so... my King had 4 more illegitimate daughters. ALL OF THEM WITH HIS FIRSTBORN DAUGHTER.

I fucking love this game. My first bastard daughter has grown up already and gained the trait "ugly" - no doubt a result of the incest. :lol:

My Arabian king of potatoes had affairs (and bastards) with:
- his stepmother
- his daughter-in-law
- his nephew's wife

(Not to mention his three wives. Getting old and infertile? -> assassination)

And then he caught syphilis.

That was massive :incline: after two gay kings.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Kind of wish that'd happened in my game . . .

Though I've spambotted more than enough, do try the CK2plus mod. It's what he uses and lets stuff like that happen.

But the bigger issue is that the caliph usually gets direct control over half of all Shiites, whereas Catholic Europe is both larger and more fractured. Consequently, equal improvements in the ability to call in brothers in faith will disproportionately help the Catholics.

Fuck balance and yay to medieval drama sim and 'that's what happened anyway' and all that. Plus what I said above.

Kayerts

Arcane
Fuck balance and yay to medieval drama sim and 'that's what happened anyway' and all that. Plus what I said above.

I can generally get behind "fuck balance," but I like having Muslims as a strong adversary that the player factions can only take on if they're man enough. Still, a lot about this change depends on the implementation, and the patch comes out in two days anyway, so I'll withhold judgment.

About CK2+ -- I looked at it, and while I don't like everything Wiz did, it seems like a p. cool mod. Definitely looks to make playing pagan less painful. But the whole point of my Norse campaign is that it's supposed to be stupidly hard: mechanics stacked against me, constant need for brutal cunning and cunning brutality, only the strongest survive, etc. I will persevere. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom