Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They already conquered that much territory before the new patch. Updated my game, continued my savegame, and at least in Northern France they lost some lands to rebellions.

They've expanded in the south though, and are expanding in England, *and* have conquered almost the entirety of Spain now.

Shit's crazy, even the HRE is losing wars against Mauretania.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Jesus Christ. The Muslims winning? That's not something I've actually witnessed.

I've had them fuck over Spain in numerous different versions of the game. Spain is kind of a crap shoot, based on who inherits what land. If Leon and Castille don't unite quickly in my games, they're usually overtaken.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The incredible thing here is that Mauretania not only conquered all of Spain, but also most of France and now is even getting a foothold in England. The HRE is their only real adversary left, and even they can't properly contain them anymore.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Okay, yeah. I've never seen them do that well.

Best I've seen is when they got a bit of Southern France. As for the Eastern Front, the Seljuks usually get some of Byzantium's eastern vassals, but never make much headway.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mauretania performs very well in my games too. I saw them eating France many times, usually takes my intervention to stop the tide. Saw muslims invade Italy too.

Its not set in stone who will be victorious in Spain and since its very rich and has many lands... better than France too, only split into many realms.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I had nothing better to do, so I made an expanded culture name section for Finnish culture

While you're at it, fix Finnish dynasty names. It's unbelievable they decided to use modern day surnames. :decline:
If you don't mind, I'd like a good list of old family names, preferably ones that aren't foreign translations like Fornjótr (though I guess I'll have to put those bastards as the High Chief of Kvens anyway, along with making the Kven territory properly measured, Norway is rather expanded at gamestart). Obvious choices are something like Kalervo, Kalevi, Untamoinen and so forth. That reminds me, I forgot to add Ilmarinen to the "Kalevala line" of the first name additions.

Also, here's the million dollar question: Redefine Finnish and Ugric Baltic (who somehow have Russian names, wtf) cultural provinces as Baltic Finns, or split between Estonians, Tavastians and Karelians? Personally I'm partial to Baltic Finns, since at that time there were no linguistic and cultural divisions between the ancestors of Finns, Ingrians and Estonians, just tribal lines (you know, Saaremaalaiset, Karjalaiset, Hämäläiset, etc). Also, I'm thinking about renaming the pagan kingly title of the region as King of Tshudes or something along those lines (Kalevala, lol), probably make King of Finland the Christian title.

Hmmmm, I guess I could throw the end result at the way of the people who make the Pagan mod over at Pdox.

curry

Arcane
I had nothing better to do, so I made an expanded culture name section for Finnish culture

While you're at it, fix Finnish dynasty names. It's unbelievable they decided to use modern day surnames. :decline:
If you don't mind, I'd like a good list of old family names, preferably ones that aren't foreign translations like Fornjótr (though I guess I'll have to put those bastards as the High Chief of Kvens anyway, along with making the Kven territory properly measured, Norway is rather expanded at gamestart). Obvious choices are something like Kalervo, Kalevi, Untamoinen and so forth. That reminds me, I forgot to add Ilmarinen to the "Kalevala line" of the first name additions.

Also, here's the million dollar question: Redefine Finnish and Ugric Baltic (who somehow have Russian names, wtf) cultural provinces as Baltic Finns, or split between Estonians, Tavastians and Karelians? Personally I'm partial to Baltic Finns, since at that time there were no linguistic and cultural divisions between the ancestors of Finns, Ingrians and Estonians, just tribal lines (you know, Saaremaalaiset, Karjalaiset, Hämäläiset, etc). Also, I'm thinking about renaming the pagan kingly title of the region as King of Tshudes or something along those lines (Kalevala, lol), probably make King of Finland the Christian title.

Hmmmm, I guess I could throw the end result at the way of the people who make the Pagan mod over at Pdox.

During CK2's timeframe Finns didn't have any family names, only Patronyms.

In Finland, the use of patronyms instead of family names was very common well into the 19th century. Patronymics were composed similarly as in Swedish language or other Scandinavian languages: the father's name and the suffix -n for genitive plus the word poika for sons, tytär for daughters. For example Tuomas Abrahaminpoika (to be read in English as "Tuomas, Abraham's son") and Martta Heikintytär (to be read in English as "Martta, Heikki's daughter").

I guess you could use names of tribes or geographical areas as dynasty names, both would be better than using modern day surnames. :roll:

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, a lot of the dynasty names are tribal names, like Karjalainen and Hämäläinen. I know the game is capable of handling patronyms though, they've got those for Swedes for example. What I don't know is if I can twist functional version of it for Finnish names (part of the problem being that I'd either have to redo the names a lot so they all conform to the -npoika/tytär suffix, or I'd have to see if I can make a handle for all names individually which I doubt).

http://www.genealogia.fi/nimet/nimi36ps.htm

EDIT: HALT!

It seems that patronyms were part of Western Finnish culture, and brought over from Sweden. Eastern Finns, most notably Savonians, had family names. I guess it'll just be easier for me to add a shitload of -inen ending surnames first and then worry about the patronym business.

http://www.genealogia.fi/nimet/nimi17s.htm

curry

Arcane
Well, a lot of the dynasty names are tribal names, like Karjalainen and Hämäläinen. I know the game is capable of handling patronyms though, they've got those for Swedes for example. What I don't know is if I can twist functional version of it for Finnish names (part of the problem being that I'd either have to redo the names a lot so they all conform to the -npoika/tytär suffix, or I'd have to see if I can make a handle for all names individually which I doubt).

It seems that patronyms were part of Western Finnish culture, and brought over from Sweden. Eastern Finns, most notably Savonians, had family names. I guess it'll just be easier for me to add a shitload of -inen ending surnames first and then worry about the patronym business.

Not in CK2 timeframe.

Vaarna_Aarne

Not in CK2 timeframe.
The Eastern surname use is almost without doubt as old as the use of patronyms following Swedish imposition of serfdom in Western Finland. It's quite likely that it is older than the use of patronyms. And this is among the peasantry!

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Started a new game as one of the mid-northern Castile counts. I managed to takeover the adjacent county. My heir is in Wessex because his wife is the countess. She wasn't likely to inherit when I married them, but things happen. Shit is going to be a mess when my current character dies, I'm not even sure what will happen.

Also for anyone interested in the power dyanmic, I'm about three generations into the game and the muslim horde is slowly consuming the Iberian with no end in sight. HRE is losing Italy.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Here's how the HRE shaped up in my game.

Note, I started as Lubreck and married a princess from Wales who I could later invade. Now, I don't know if somehow my claims leaked out into the empire, but it wasn't too long before the Empire was gobbling up England after swarming all over Italy. All the Spanish bros are completely wiped out as far as I can remember. You can see where the BE swarmed up around the Black Sea. Basically, the game got very congested into a small number of quasi-super powers: Moslems, Mongols, French, HRE, BE, and I guess a scattering of Scandinavian folks.

Iceland was amusingly divided by Sweden/Finland.

This game was pre-patch. It crashed when I tried to play it again, unfortunately.

Vaarna_Aarne

Okay, I took a look at the way patronyms work. Easily done, but the question remains should they be used due to the limits of the engine in terms of language? Making the patronym formation is easy, but it can't handle more than one inflection (-npoika/-ntytär). So I either scrap the idea, leave the names as they are and live with it, or revise the name list. Here's the current relevant part of cultures.txt:

finnish = {
graphical_culture = ugricgfx

color = { 0.1 0.6 0.6 }

male_names = {
Aatos Ahma Aimo Armas Arvo Asikko Ensio Haapa Hannu Havu Hintsa Ihanti Into Jalo Jurva Kaleva Kalevi Kettu Kolli Lalli Lauri_Laurence Lemetti
Lempi Menikko Mielikko Mielitty Miemo Mikko_Michael Oiva Onni Otso Päiviö Pentti Rauha Reko Sampo Satajalka Satatieto Seppo Susi Taimi Tapani
Terho Titti Toikka Toivo Tuokki Ukko Uoti Urho Väinö Valta Valto Veli Vesa Villi Voitto
Kalervo Kullervo Lemminkäinen Untamo Ahti Ilmari
Kaukomieli Lempo Ikämieli Unto Vihas Leino Keihäri Kalpa Nuolia Utujoutsi
}
female_names = {
Aamu Aino Hellä Helmi Ilta Kaarina_Catherine Käpy Kielo Kukka Läpsä Lauha Lempi Mahla Maija Marja Mesi Metta Oiva Päivä Päivi Pihla Pilvi Pyry Rauha Sati
Sisko Suoma Taimi Terhi Tuija Tuovi Tuuli Tuulikki Tyyne Tyyni Vanamo Venla
Hellikki Ihalempi Ihamuoto Ilma Miela Toivelempi Kulta Kyllikki Tellervo
}
from_dynasty_prefix = "of "

male_patronym = "npoika"
female_patronym = "ntytär"
prefix = no # The patronym is added as a suffix

modifier = default_culture_modifier
}

I also went through the entire dynasties file, and replaced the Finnish surnames there that were either: Modern (Virtanen got the boot immediately), "rofl reference" (Dufva and Isotalo), Swedish, first names (some got the -la suffix). Common replacements were either a tribal/locality based (ie, Liiviläinen, Saarelainen) -inen surnames, -la/-lä surnames, or of X names referring to ancient castle hills/similar (Vanaja).

I left the Estonian and Lappish names as they were for now (though I added Saarlased as one).

Shit to do: Move Saaremaa to Duchy of Estonia de jure, review Curonian de jure, add a slot to Saaremaa (consider an extra slot in Häme and Käkisalmi), add a City to Häme (Vanaja/Vanai, also an event for Swedes to destroy it on conquest later on), change pagan king title, change all Ugric Baltic references in history files to Finnish, rename Finnish into Baltic Finnic, fix the Kven borders, and of course events, decisions and shit.

curry

Arcane
Okay, I took a look at the way patronyms work. Easily done, but the question remains should they be used due to the limits of the engine in terms of language? Making the patronym formation is easy, but it can't handle more than one inflection (-npoika/-ntytär). So I either scrap the idea, leave the names as they are and live with it, or revise the name list. Here's the current relevant part of cultures.txt:

That's a bit problematic because the character might still have a father with foreign name. :oops:

I also went through the entire dynasties file, and replaced the Finnish surnames there that were either: Modern (Virtanen got the boot immediately), "rofl reference" (Dufva and Isotalo), Swedish, first names (some got the -la suffix). Common replacements were either a tribal/locality based (ie, Liiviläinen, Saarelainen) -inen surnames, -la/-lä surnames, or of X names referring to ancient castle hills/similar (Vanaja).

I left the Estonian and Lappish names as they were for now (though I added Saarlased as one).

Shit to do: Move Saaremaa to Duchy of Estonia de jure, review Curonian de jure, add a slot to Saaremaa (consider an extra slot in Häme and Käkisalmi), add a City to Häme (Vanaja/Vanai, also an event for Swedes to destroy it on conquest later on), change pagan king title, change all Ugric Baltic references in history files to Finnish, rename Finnish into Baltic Finnic, fix the Kven borders, and of course events, decisions and shit.

Real bro work right there :incline:

Vaarna_Aarne

Also, I am going to take out Perkele and Jumi as the other two gods being referenced and replaced them with Ahti and Tapani, for example. Jumi could probably stay though, but Perkele will not be there to appease neopagans! No matter how funny it sounds to read "Praise Perkele!" in the text.

Luzur

Good Sir
Also, I am going to take out Perkele and Jumi as the other two gods being referenced and replaced them with Ahti and Tapani, for example. Jumi could probably stay though, but Perkele will not be there to appease neopagans! No matter how funny it sounds to read "Praise Perkele!" in the text.

wait, Perkele is a god?

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Castile was ravaged by the muslim horde, I lost a county because the queen surrendered it as a bargaining condition. I didn't think this could happen if a county wasn't occupied, so this was a big shock. Within a year, Castile was being ravaged by Muslims again and we lost most of our strength so I declared war for independence. Thanks to the new patch adding warscore for being defensive in some conditions, I won my independence and then pledged my loyalty to Franceblob (which was in the midst of a civil war) for protection. My goal now is to be the French Duke of Navarra, so I took another of the provinces and I'm back up to two counties (holding 2/3 of Navarra). I used Holy Orders, which still seem to be massively powerful. Two Holy Orders were enough to massacre the infidel menace, but it cost me a few hundred gold. Meanwhile, France declared a holy war for Barcelona and won a bit of land thus establishing a strong, two-pronged foothold on Iberia.

This fucking game, man. The last few patches were major incline.

Vaarna_Aarne

Jumi could probably stay though, but Perkele will not be there to appease neopagans!
Speaking of neopaganism, you might want to consider renaming "Suomenusko" to something more sensible
Well, I think it's just fine. It's not like it has a name that was passed down. Besides, Suomenusko works better than Suomalainen Muinaisusko.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ugh. Played into the 1150's as the Count of Artois -> Duke of Flanders, and it's all going swimmingly except for the bloody HRE. They haven't had a SINGLE major civil war, and are sitting at Medium Crown Authority, possibly going up into High soon. Because Flanders remains in the HRE de Jure, this actually prevents me from, say, declaring war on the Count of Amiens, although both of us belong to France in reality (with limited crown authority). I've looked at using my chancellor to make some HRE dukes pissed, or supporting new emperors not in the hereditary line of succession, but to little effect. I haven't checked consistently, but the BE seems to be safely blobbed, as well. I'll be watching and seeing if the CK2Plus mod does anything on this front. Vaarna, have you found a way to just force the HRE to remain at the lowest crown authority? Since it's not like I'll ever play as the Holy Roman Emperor, I'd be fine with that.

Did have fun with the first major crusade on Jerusalem, where I shipped off the young duke at the age of 18 with three thousand men. They won some sieges, including of Jerusalem, while the bigger armies fought it out, so I ended up second in contribution to the entire Crusade. The HRE, naturally, did more and won the Holy Land, but my duke then had 750 piety... pity he died of stress soon after. I like the crusade mechanics, if only they could have had actual crusader kingdoms form!

curry

Arcane
Jumi could probably stay though, but Perkele will not be there to appease neopagans!
Speaking of neopaganism, you might want to consider renaming "Suomenusko" to something more sensible
Well, I think it's just fine. It's not like it has a name that was passed down. Besides, Suomenusko works better than Suomalainen Muinaisusko.

You don't have to have a Finnish name for it. Norse paganism was renamed from "Asatru" to "Norse" in one of the first patches, I think the same could be done with Finnish and Baltic paganisms as well.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
CK2 is always a great source of stories and anecdotes.
In my recent game, the king of Croatia won the crusade against Wends. A kingdom of Germany was created, with one of his kin as the king.
Long story short, this was some 70 years ago. The wars between Germany (with some holdings in Croatia) and Croatia (with some holdings in Germany) ended just recently, due to a major romuva push taking over the croatian part of Mecklemburg. I'm sure it's not the end yet.
In other news, situation in Iberia is something that has never happened to me before. Usually, either Christians or Moors blob successfully in the first twenty or so years and quickly overcome the enemy religion. This time, however, it's almost 1200 and we still have a stalemate. Castille managed to unite the christian kingdoms, and with muslims waging war on themselves I thought it's over for them. Surprisingly, it was not the case. the castillian queen didn't leave a male heir (which is quite common - it seems there are more female children, my own king had 10 daughters and only two sons - I don't know if it's a bug or just major RNG fuckup) and got mingled with Godwins. The rest of christian Iberia didn't like the sight of an english queen, and after a major crisis we're back to square one - several independent kingdoms both in the north and south.

Vaarna_Aarne

You don't have to have a Finnish name for it. Norse paganism was renamed from "Asatru" to "Norse" in one of the first patches, I think the same could be done with Finnish and Baltic paganisms as well.
Still, I don't see the point. The name works, simple as that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom