Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Phelot

Arcane
Pretty sucky they are going the DLC route for Pagans/Muslims, also pretty blatant considering the ability to play as them was right there from the get go, but I suppose they'll be adding and/or changing events to fit with whatever religion you get. I assume that's why you couldn't play as them in CK1

Phelot

Arcane
BTW, I am having a blast with this game. Playing as Byzantine Empire and it was so cool (and frustrating) when my heir took over and his brother and a few other counts and dukes started a civil war for the throne. Now, I've been picking away at the lesser nations around, but unfortunately my heir is an imbecile so I may have to have him... have an accident.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In CK1 the reason you couldn't play as Pagans was largely due to how the groundwork hardcoding had been made. It took years of effort for someone to finally break that limitation.

EDIT: Also, I'm going to reimplement Byzantine de jure to a degree. But it will be considerably smaller, without sphere extending to Sicily and Palestine. About half of Turkey along with Greece, Thracia and Bulgaria.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There is no sense playing pagans or muslims if they are exactly the same as christians. And this is what you get right now, same mechanics, same events, same everything for totally different people.

Thats why I dont really enjoy "mods" allowing players to lead pagans or other heathens. Why even bother. Props to Vaarne for trying to make them a little bit different. But honestly, for that he would need like 400 events just for pagans.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Am hoping to hear a little more from Paradox. That ruler designer dlc really isn't what I had in mind when I read they were going to bring out lots of extra meaningful content after release.

Incidently my Memento Mori mod is almost done. It's very lightweight and focuses on making medieval life a slightly more uncertain and exciting. Battles give more prestige but are a little more dangerous, childbirth is the trial it should be, diseases are a nobles worst nightmare and crown and demesne laws have been overturned to make the struggle for an increasingly powerfull state and ruler the titanic task it should be. Nothing that overturns the basic gameplay of vanilla but some additions and balance changes that I like. Moar medieval drama sim that mappainter so to speak. Have been using some stats about age, childbirth deaths and birth rates as a general guide and am pretty pleased with the outcome. Last hurdle are the extra plots and ambitions I'm stealing graciously borrowing from other modders and the zillion little bugs I keep finding.

Vaarna_Aarne

Just remember to use 'extend_path' command for the modfile so you can have people who care for that stuff use it in combination with the mod of yours truly.

Actually, in a sense I'm lucky with Paradox DLC because my mod focused to a large extent on geopolitics, which they probably won't do anything about.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well Paradox is really going good with patches and even adding extra content in there so I think I can live with an useless DLC I wont ever buy.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Oh, I don't mind. I was getting a bit worried because they kept silent on the forum and in the media for awhile. Usually silence with Paradox means they shifted their resources elsewhere. Now however they basically announced the pagan and muslim dlc. One I can look forward to.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Last hurdle and I keep butting my head into it. The childbirth event for some reason won't work. Any of the mod savvy folks here know why this fucker won't trigger? Made a *.txt file in events with the following code:

#A child is born
character_event = {
id = 190000
picture = "GFX_evt_pregnancy"

is_triggered_only = yes
hide_from = yes

trigger = {
NOT = { trait = twin }
mother = { is_alive = yes }
}

desc = "EVTDESC190000"

option = {
name = "EVTOPTA190000"
#check if mother dies
if = {
limit = {
mother = {
health = 6
}
}
random_list = {
10 = { set_character_flag = mother_died set_character_flag = child_died } #both die
10 = { set_character_flag = mother_died } #mother dies
10 = { set_character_flag = child_died } #child dies
70 = { } #nobody dies
}
}
if = {
limit = {
mother = {
NOT = { health = 6 }
health = 4
}
}
random_list = {
10 = { set_character_flag = mother_died set_character_flag = child_died } #both die
15 = { set_character_flag = mother_died } #mother dies
15 = { set_character_flag = child_died } #child dies
60 = { } #nobody dies
}
}
if = {
limit = {
mother = {
NOT = { health = 4 }
health = 2
}
}
random_list = {
20 = { set_character_flag = mother_died } #mother dies
20 = { set_character_flag = child_died } #child dies
50 = { } #nobody dies
}
}
if = {
limit = {
mother = {
NOT = { health = 2 }
}
}
random_list = {
20 = { set_character_flag = mother_died set_character_flag = child_died } #both die
20 = { set_character_flag = mother_died } #mother dies
20 = { set_character_flag = child_died } #child dies
40 = { } #nobody dies
}
}
#handle deaths
if = {
limit = {
has_character_flag = mother_died
}
mother = { character_event = { id = 190001 } }
}
if = {
limit = {
has_character_flag = child_died
}
character_event = { id = 190002 }
}
clr_character_flag = mother_died
clr_character_flag = child_died
}
}

#Mother dies in childbirth
character_event = {
id = 190001
picture = "GFX_evt_illness"

is_triggered_only = yes

desc = "EVTDESC190001"

immediate = {
death = { death_reason = death_dungeon } #actually childbirth
}

option = {
name = "EVTOPTA190001"
}
}

#Child is stillborn
character_event = {
id = 190002
picture = "GFX_evt_illness"

is_triggered_only = yes

desc = "EVTDESC190001"

immediate = {
death = { death_reason = death_dungeon } #actually childbirth
}

option = {
name = "EVTOPTA190001"
}
}

Then added a *.scv file detailing the events and the descriptions in localisation.

#CODE;ENGLISH;FRENCH;GERMAN;;SPANISH;;;;;;;;;x;;;
EVTDESC190000;I have been born!;Je suis né!;Ich wurde geboren.;I have been born!;I have been born!;;;;;;;x;;;;;
EVTOPTA190000;Ok;Ok;Einverstanden;Ok;Ok;;;;;;;x;;;;;
EVTDESC190001;The birth was a difficult one. Though the midwife tried her best, [Root.GetName] did not survive.;La naissance fut difficile. Bien que la sage-femme est tout tenté, [Root.GetName] n'a pas survécu.;Die Geburt war schwierig, die Hebammen taten alles wa sie konnten , dennoch starb [Root.GetName];;;;;;;;;x;;;;;
EVTOPTA190001;A tragedy;Une tragédie;Eine Tragödie;A tragedy;A tragedy;;;;;;;x;;;;;
EVTDESC190002;Will I survive my birth?;Survivrais-je à ma naissance?;Werde ich meine Geburt überleben?;Will I survive my birth?;Will I survive my birth?;;;;;;;x;;;;;
EVTOPTA190002;I sure hope so!;J'ai bon espoir que si!;Ich hoffe es sehr !;I sure hope so!;I sure hope so!;;;;;;;x;;;;;

Methinks it should work but for some reason it doesn't. I'm probably overlooking something incredibly obvious but I've been looking way too long at this. Can anyone help?

Fens

Ford of the Llies
no modding experience with CK2, but you don't have a 'spanish' version for "The birth was a difficult one"

Vaarna_Aarne

I think you should try the validator program, it's fairly handy for doing pinpoint checks.

Other than that, I'd say there's two possible issues:

1) Incorrect use of brackets, this is a very critical aspect, any unnecessary use of brackets or any improperly closed brackets breaks the whole event.
2) Multiple set_character_flags inside the same bracket, without the use of a scope like AND. I've never seen any file do that.

Can't say more than that because I can't find the actual base game event files covering birth, if they exist.

EDIT: Also, localisation file has no influence on the txt functions, it just provides text for the boxes.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Ran into lots of annoying brackets. Not here though. The validator states that 'the event is set to be triggered but is never called.' Perhaps adding a trigger like NOT = { has_character_flag = born } might work...

Bizarrely enough it does seem to work in CKII. Puzzling. Damn, I really want this in the mod but...

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, the event obviously won't trigger if you don't set up something that triggers it. is_triggered_only means that it's only activated by another event or action that specifically calls for it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Bizarrely enough it does work with that exact trigger in CKII+.

trigger = {
NOT = { trait = twin }
mother = { is_alive = yes }
}

Perhaps that modder somehow replaced the birth event with this one? Nah, that's hardcoded.

Vaarna_Aarne

The trigger is just the condition that must be fulfilled for the standard activation by random chance to be valid, if you add is_triggered_only it means that instead of just randomly happening when the conditions are fulfilled the event only happens when something else directly activates it. The modder behind CK2+ definately had set something to activate his event, I'd suspect it's in the on_action workings behind normal birth (which I haven't located).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I'll check and recheck that file once again then. The event itself works splendid when run from the console. It's just something within the trigger...

Nope. Absolutely nothing there. I'll check all the event files and see if I can get the modder himself to give me a hint. The guy rarely does so however so I'll have to wait and see. I am however starting to get convinced that he did something somewhere else so that the birth of a child would start the eventchain. What that is however...

EDIT: Yay! Found it with help from a good samaritan. There was another event that fired this one and did a whole genetics check as well as soon as a child is born. Quite nifty and way beyond my capabilities.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
http://www.mediafire.com/?kmk4k2ay5no67

Well, here it is. Version 1.0 of Memento Mori. Nothing too big and mostly centered around a few small balance adjustments. No total gameplay overhauls or many new mechanics and all that. Use this if you want the vanilla game to be a little bit harder and your dynasty a little less predictable. Diseases are more nasty, warfare more deadly, childbirth can turn out bad for both mother and child, you won't be able to increase the crown laws as easily as you did before and birth rates and life expectancy should be a lot closer to historical figures. Anyway, have fun. Let me know if you run into problems or if it is wildly imbalanced.

Memento Mori for CKII 1.05e

Version: 1.0

A long time ago I fell in love with the original Crusader Kings. Not only was it a novel mix of the rpg and strategy genre it also succeeded admirably in being a Shakespearian Drama Simulator. No matter how well you played, your dynasty always remained a fragile thing that at any time could fall victim to the ravages of the world. The sequel Crusader Kings II improves on almost every aspect of the original yet somehow feels a bit more save. A little too friendly to the player. After playing the game extensively I decided that I wanted to bring the uncertainty of the original back while not tampering too much with the base game I had before me. This mod is the result. Hope you like playing it as much as I liked making it!

Install instructions: unrar the contents of the rar file into your mod directory.
  • Diseases are more virulent and deadly.
  • Wounds are more serious.
  • Battles have become slightly more dangerous for the participants.
  • More prestige gained for participants in battle.
  • Children can now be stillborn.
  • Timer for occupation penalties halved.
  • Crown and demesne laws have been redesigned to be much harder to increase.
  • Fertility has been increased for both AI and player to reach historical levels.

Possible future ambitions:
Add plots and ambitions
Add mercenaries and holy orders
Events regarding sickly children and old age

Many thanks to Wiz, Vaarne Aarne, apg, fawr, avee, GAGA extrem, rafek, the_chancellor and all those other people whom I bothered with endless questions and from whose mods I both learned and burrowed. This thing wouldn't exist without you!

Vaarna_Aarne

I think I figured out the first big change I'll make for 1.1 version of Kalevala Mod:

I will try to see if a building destruction event can function with a basis in religion of the occupier, as previously I could not find a universal trigger condition, as the examples used specific titles. This might be a functional alternative, and would provide a varied field of alternative modifiers to the speed using religion groups and specific religions (ie, Muslims would destroy buildings slowest, Pagans and Catholics fastest).

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
So, whenever I've tried to play CKII recently, I get a CTD immediately after launching the game, whether directly or from the launcher. I've tried reinstalling a few times, but that hasn't helped. Anyone have an idea of what the problem could be? Any advice would be appreciated, as this game is pretty awesome and I'd like to be able to play it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Perhaps reinstalling .net framework might help? Or try rolling back your video driver?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?585481-Known-Issues-and-Solutions-to-them.

I will try to see if a building destruction event can function with a basis in religion of the occupier, as previously I could not find a universal trigger condition, as the examples used specific titles. This might be a functional alternative, and would provide a varied field of alternative modifiers to the speed using religion groups and specific religions (ie, Muslims would destroy buildings slowest, Pagans and Catholics fastest).

If you actually manage to make such an event I'll totally steal it from you. ;)

Phelot

Arcane
So, whenever I've tried to play CKII recently, I get a CTD immediately after launching the game, whether directly or from the launcher. I've tried reinstalling a few times, but that hasn't helped. Anyone have an idea of what the problem could be? Any advice would be appreciated, as this game is pretty awesome and I'd like to be able to play it.

This is a long shot, but are you pressing any buttons when it happens? I found when I first got the game, that if I tried to press the pause button with the tutorial menu up it would CTD. I disabled the tutorial and I didn't have that problem anymore. Don't know if it was fixed in a patch.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Fucking Pagan and Muslim DLC might make me violate my 'Never Buy DLC' pact. A Pagan Europe sounds glorious.

Vaarna_Aarne

If you actually manage to make such an event I'll totally steal it from you. ;)
Well, first I'm gonna need people to test it, but I won't implement it until after I'm done with my latest campaign.

Basically, I'll be doing these things:

- Seeing how Paradox put things a bit harder for BE, I'm going to at least temporarily shelf BE trait.
- BE will have a de jure back, but it will be much smaller than before.
- Limits on the creation of certain duchies in Eastern Russia to make things harder for Mordvins and Mansi.
- And then the destruction event.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Just finished the next version. Apart from a fair number of balance tweaks I also made some additions to ambitions and plots and implemented hireable council members. My main interest is to keep this mod as lightweight and close to vanilla as possible while adding extra excitement and difficulty. For me these changes however are a massive improvement to the vanilla gameplay and should therefore defenitely be part of this mod. Saves should be compatible and again, if you run into problems or feel things have become imbalanced do let me know. Enjoy!

1.1 Change list
Fixed a vanilla invasion bug
Childbirth death events tweaked to be actually a little less severe
Made battles more lethal
Assassination attempts are more prone to cause injury
Sitting in a dungeon is quite unhealthy
Crown laws have been tweaked
Ported the decisions to have your unwed courtiers marry and to hire new councilmembers from CKII+
More ambitions and plots (originals once again from the excellent CKII+) added to spice gameplay up

Mediafire link: http://www.mediafire.com/?lrijbu41rl22lri

I'll probably do a little balancing after this but adding features will be mostly over. I want this one to stick as close to vanilla as possible with a little extra challenge and excitement thrown in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom