Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I have a fairly good hand in keeping things under control, so I quite prefer having duchies. It improves your prestige and it has a positive effect on the economic growth of your kingdom, which means more money the throw around. It also allows you to fuck with the counts underneath the duke by building new cities and temples there but keeping them under your control (you can't build improvements), but taxes go to you and you can later use them as bribes). I've also figured out how to set up relatives with duchies (overbreed like fuck until you have distant relatives without crown claim). I also think managing unruly dukes is much better than counts, as you've got fewer assholes to give unfortunate accidents to.

EDIT: Then again, since I most play Pagan I don't go on massive papal-granted conquest sprees but mostly focus on fabricating claims and fortifying my position like a boss.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
So it looks like Crackdtoothgrin's Cuman mod is complete.

Uzlko.jpg

It's really impressive and I think this is probably the first substantial mod that adds graphical assets to the game. Here's a link. I guess the only thing that's weird about it is how the women are a little darker than the men, and you can have guys that look like Steven Seagal siblings with women who look like Pocahontas.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
There's a little something that's been niggling me lately. I haven't seen conclusive proof of a plot started by the AI in my mod for quite some time. Saw some suspicious accidents and big independence wars pop up but nothing my own spymaster detected. All plots should be available to the different ranks however. I linked it to the AI being able to chose lots of ambitions as well. To be sure however, plotting chance should be only affected through plot_decisions.txt and objectives.txt, right?

Oh, and dukes have always been the nails in any early middle age kings coffin. Get a good king/heir with decent stats and traits helps. Improving crown laws to put and keep the nobles in their place help as well. Making sure none have claims on your title is a must and some creativity with gifts, honorary titles and marriage is to be applauded.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yeah, I know those. Thanks. As I said, my test game ran for a long time and nothing conclusive showed up. Did another one with a large and stable realm to see what is what and had one kill plot appear in a decade. Methinks that's not as I remember plot rates in vanilla. Perhaps I'll run a vanilla game to see. Will check both plots and ambitions step by step for good measure though.

Did find a few bugs, fixed some balance issues and incorporated a few new features for when I release the next version. Will probably also buff the warrior cult building a little. Pagans disappearing within two decades is a bit too fast.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Definitely not normal, in vanilla plots are rather abundant, seeing 6-7 active is quite average for normal realms.

Topher

Cipher
In case anyone has the same problems as me: If you use a TV as monitor and hook it up via HDMI, Clausewitz Engine games will crash after loading. Using VGA instead remedies this. I wish this made sense.
On a brighter note: I can finally start playing CKII and EUIII and Sengoku and Victioria II and...:bounce:

Do you mean use VGA cables or can I force this through the software somehow?

kazgar

Arcane
not specifically CKII related, but thought was pretty awesome.

Epic time-lapse map of Europe

Fast forwarding from ca 1000 AD until 2003 showing Europe's shifting borders, alliances, unions, territories, occupied land etc.

There's a link to a slower more detailed vereion.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Awesome time-lapse there! This site also has something neat like that.

Figured out what's what with the plotting in my mod. Spend a fuckload of time poring over the plots and ambitions and running test games but finally found that the reason is indeed that the AI has trouble chosing when there are so many options for it. Wasn't a complete waste of time as I found some minor bugs. Will up the chances for plots to be chosen by the AI to keep it from just standing there stupified. Am going to add a few mercs and holy orders and then should have version 1.2 up in the next few days. As soon as I'm back from hiking that is. Yay for holidays.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
In case anyone has the same problems as me: If you use a TV as monitor and hook it up via HDMI, Clausewitz Engine games will crash after loading. Using VGA instead remedies this. I wish this made sense.
On a brighter note: I can finally start playing CKII and EUIII and Sengoku and Victioria II and...:bounce:

Do you mean use VGA cables or can I force this through the software somehow?
Same problem?
Yes, I mean the actual connection cable. I don't know of any software fix for this issue.

Topher

Cipher
Same problem?
Yes, I mean the actual connection cable. I don't know of any software fix for this issue.

Yeah, I've got the same problem. One day I might grab some VGA cables but, meh, that's kind of a pain. Thanks for the response.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Same problem?

Yeah, I've got the same problem. One day I might grab some VGA cables but, meh, that's kind of a pain. Thanks for the response.
It might work with DVI too, as far as I know only HDMI poses a problem. It's a pain in the ass, but since it affects every Clausewitz game, I think it's worth it.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
At last, patch 1.06f has been released. Let's check if corrects the bug that was making my current play crash to desktop.

I don't know if this is a bug or something but today today I was suddenly in a state of war for independence with my liege the bloody HRE emepror as the King of Bavaria. The thing is I did not declare war at all. My ruler was an imbecilic retard though can that lead to such events? I don't very much appreciate being thrown into random wars of aggression when especially when such a war would require a good opportunity to succeed.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I don't know. There has been new bugs introduced with this new patch. At least my games doesn't crash anymore, but for example, a count revolted against me on England, and when I was besieging the county capital, instead of the message of success and the start of the siege of the other holdings, I got repeatedly spammed with the "Success siege" messages.

It looks like every time the capital was besieged, the flag marking the capital as occuped wasn't activated, so I got one message after another.

Phelot

Arcane
Anyone else get the Gates of Hell event? I can't close the stupid thing no matter what. Each option says there is a 90% chance it might work, well I've been spamming through each option, sometimes 3-4 in a row and the stupid thing won't go away. I assume this is a bug at this point. Anyone else experience this?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Had this event chain twice, both times closed it easily. Must eb a new bug since it worked in the previous version.

Phelot

Arcane
I don't think I can say I fully understand the whole succession thing. It seems like if you're a king it is a foolish idea to create another king title since there always seems to be someone able to take over the title at succession. For example, why am I losing the title of King of Finland when I play as Norway?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I've never gotten to feed a gate to hell cattle...

EDIT: The thing with multiple kingdom titles is that all of them have their separate laws, so it's in your interest to synch the laws to prevent inheritance mishaps.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well I finally caved in and bought this despite bad experiences with previous paradox titles. Read through the tutorials (TEXTTEXTTEXTTEXTTEXTTEXTTEXTTEXTTEXTTEXTTEXT) then did what I always do in games set in europe -- picked Denmark as early as possible and got to work on plotting to invade Sweden. I went with the create-a-king thingie since as far as I recall Yngling was a bit of a clusterfuck back in the day and I wanted a king prepared to lead armies to glory a few generations down the line.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark indeed...

First order of business was getting invited back into the church (decided to start excommunicated to get his age down long enough that he might sire and raise some offspring) which meant I had to bend over and kiss the popes ass with papal elective for bishops and buying some indulgence to drum up the piety. This meant I could finally marry a woman with huuuuuuuuge t...racts of land and some decent intrigue and martial scores which I hoped to rub off on my offspring. Some Polish princess got the honor of receiving my royal member mainly because of her good education and stats. She kinda hated my guts but fortunately the 11th century was a more civilized age in which women weren't allowed to have opinions as to who they married. :obviously:

Since she had a pretty decent intrigue score and the rest of my court was as subtle as a thrown brick, I made her my spymaster. I then got on with the business of producing myself a male heir. First child was a daughter. Second child was a daughter. Third child was a daughter... I kinda began losing patience with my wife (and courtiers began insinuating I was gay!) when she finally wisened up and shat out a son for me. That turned out to be hunchback and ugly. The next son she produced was hunchback as well as ill and promptly died of pneumonia. FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU-

At this point my king is really racking up the years and I'm not certain he'll live long enough to produce and educate another son. I resigned to grooming my most promising daugther for the crown, but because I can't change another crown law in my regency (used up my 1 change when I kissed up to the pope) my daughters can only legally inherit all my titles if there are no male heirs. I'm about to tell my spymaster (my wife) to assassinate my retarded son since I don't want him sitting on the throne after I croak. I have a perfectly good cruel, cynical, deceitful daughter with a grey eminence education lined up for the comfy chair.

:love:

Is there any way I can make my sons death look like the work of a swedish noble? I'd love a cassus belli to invade Småland.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom