Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Sadly you can't kill love your children in order to create a false flag operation.

Also, my current campaign testing out the mod I made is nearing its end. Sadly I fear that Lunacy does not run in the family, as I naturally used the ruler-designer to create a properly insane Kullervo with godlike stats in order to make him able to test out the longterm effects of the new Pagan Unification casus belli. Alright, so first things first...

1) Great success in modding the Mordvins and the Mansi, they both stayed around for quite long (historically Russians didn't conquer the Mordvins until the 13th century, which probably would have happened if fucking over Holy Wars against my pagan kin wasn't my primary interest most of the time while waiting for new claim fabrications). Both also kept their distinct culture, even though Mansi spent somewhere around a century as vassals to the Cumans (before they collapsed). Mordvins even became something of a secondary power after they inherited the Komi duchy of Perm, serving as the primary buffer against the Golden Horde (with extensive direct help from yours truly, obviously)

2) Mongols now become a lot less of a problem if they convert, as they lose their tribal invasion CB if they become anything except Pagan (balances out the fact they get all kinds of other perks) and can't just continue their attempt at world domination regarless of religion.

3) Lithuanians were still a total and utter failure, more work needed. Someone please test these assholes to see if they're viable, and whether or not I should expand the Lithuanian de jure so they can quickly expand to Russia afterwards? Also, special ruler's-choice events for Lithuanian conversion will be added, help appreciated.

4) Byzantium, like said previously, is getting some penalties lifted and de jure restored due to being too weak following the Turk upping Paradox did. The new de jure will be limited to Empire of Nicaea, Greece, Bulgaria, and Trebizond.

5) Pagans are now a constant thorn in the side of Christians in the area during the early game thanks to Warrior Cult + Tribal Raid. Players using Swedes, Norwegians and Russian principalities will definately want to crack down on them when offensive war against them is feasible, even without the economic benefit it'll provide. Early game it's not smart due to larger pagan armies and their defensive team-ups, and the lack of Holy Orders to call upon. Works rather well now I say.

So anyway, Kullervo the Conqueror of the house of Kalervo founded the kingdom of Tshudes, which would spend the next four hundred years solidifying its position as the dominant Northern kingdom, this position finally sealed when Finnic armies joined in driving the Mongol hordes back from Mordvin lands, forcing the Khagan to his first ever white peace and utterly failed invasion. In order to make his armies better prepared for attacking South and West by improving their supply lines, the kings of Tshudes have made massive building projects and urban expansion to increase the population and development of the land. Following a long period of stable borders, the kings of Tshudes began invading Sweden, which has now been pushed entirely out of the Baltic Sea to Norwegian inland.

Also much ethnic cleansing, ein volk and loving family life has happened. By far the toughest time was when I realized the king's growing really fucking old and all his older sons are really fucking old too and their sons are incompetent. Mass fatherly love ensued in order to make sure his fifth son would inherit.

PS: Anyone know if it's possible to have ducal name and flag alter based on culture? This is important, since I'm either going to make Mordvins and Khanty-Mansia alternative Finno-Ugric culture group names for Cheremisa and Tuymen, or I'm going to remove pagan ability to form those duchies/replace the old duchies with the new ones.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Sadly you can't kill love your children in order to create a false flag operation.

Göterdammerung!

Oh well. As long as I can kill off the son and install my daughter (and possibly kill off the mother too since my other daughter is shaping up nicely to succeed her as spymaster and I don't want to risk my loving wife birthing another frankensteinian horror I'll have to dispose of) on the throne. I guess I'll have to fabricate claims the old-fashioned way to establish cassus belli.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Plotting against your spymaster can be very difficult, make sure to remove her from the position before that.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeah. I plan to install my younger daughter as spymaster once her education is done as her traits look very promising. Assuming no wrenches are thrown in the works, here's how I see things going down:

1) Wife kills off retard son
2) Younger daughter turns out to be an awesome spymaster when her education finishes next year
3) Daughter replaces wife as spymaster, immediate plot to kill off wife
4) Wife dies before she poops out another son as i've lost patience with her at this point
5) King dies, Grey Eminence daughter takes over, uses high diplomacy to keep the kingdom from fragmenting and begins working towards higher crown authority
6) Quiet build-up period as I establish claims in swedish provinces and power up the military. Try to poop out some offspring with good martial scores
7) Queen dies, übermensch progeny takes over, gives martial siblings control of the other armies
8) Invade Sweden

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What I love about this (modded) game is that a bad cold can throw all that planning in disarray. Ironman ftw and all that. Absolutely love it. My last game had a slew of promising candidates who all died in accidents, plagues and warfare so I constantly had to adept to keep my dynasty going. Lost most of my lands in a lost holy war but at least things seem stable now. Seem.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well the original plan was to sire magnificent übermensch sons, then go to war. My potato wifes stubborn insistence on birthing only daughters and quasimodo already set my invasion back a full generation. and there's still the possibility my youngest daughter turns out to be a retard flamboyant schemer once she turns 16, which'll mess up my plans to kill off my wife.

What I love about this (modded) game...

This is probably a dumb question that was answered elsewhere but I ain't reading through 40 pages if I can avoid it. Which mods are "essential" for a good CKII experience? Bear in mind I'm new to the game. Savegame corruption also really irks me, so mods that are likely to make the game crash or explode in my face aren't desirable.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
CKIIplus is the Magna Mundi of the game. Huge in scope and ambition and it pulls it off quite well. Other than that I can only really recommend two graphical additions. Better Looking Characters is awesome and improves the looks of the portraits with a 100%. It works with vanilla and usually a version is incorporated in CKIIplus. Culturally Different Cities is a nice little improvement on the campaign map. The two graphic mods don't work together but are both compatible with vanilla saves. CKIIplus requires you to start a new game.

As soon as I find the time to update my own little mod I'll be sure to advertise that one as well. ;)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Thanx bro. I'll check them out when I get home and have a chance to dig up the CD key from steam so I can register on the paradox forums and see them

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are no "must have" mods right now IMO. Some make some changes, sometimes even good, but not one has the scope of MM. More time is required for that.

I personally play whatever changes laws and makes the game harder. But right now there isnt anything I would really recommend.

Vaarna_Aarne

For the record, my mod creates its own sub-dir and uses the mod folder so it can't fuck up your game.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call Magna Mundi a must-have mod, for reasons that have been gone over several times.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
No surprise. They confirmed a pagan and muslim DLC quite awhile back in a RPS interview. Hope the new DLC will be something more substantial than just new graphics or music and not something as incredibly lame as that ruler designer.

EDIT: Ah, a mayor 10 euro DLC. Hmm.

Am looking forward to a muslim and pagan one though. As long as they actually spend some real attention on them and not just unlock them as the mods do. The RPS interview would suggest that they're doing their best though. We'll see.

EDIT2: The dev also calls the CKIIplus mod one of the best ever. Hope they'll pay attention and introduce some of its features in vanilla.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I installed the CK2+ mod and played with it in one of my games. I really like the higher quantity of events, plots, and ambitions. But somehow it bugged a lot my play. I played along another mod that gives more church events, maybe it was because that. But the thing that killed this mod for me is that I love playing as a spanish count, and the higher piety cost and requirements for holy wars against muslims made the game more frustrating, even though the emirates got a little nerfed.

Also, all tech and economy starting at 0 is annoying. A really good mod I have to say, it just have things that I disagree with a lot.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So I decided to start a new game. Same goals as before - absorb sweden as Denmark. Except instead of starting as a king I started out as the duke of Slesvig-Holstein. It took a lot of plotting, a lot of backstabbing and a little luck, but I managed to get my heir in position to put strong claims on the various counties and duchies. My king died at an age of 35 (Boo!), his wife becoming the spymaster of the count of Fyn after remarrying. What followed was an epic reign og Duke Gorm, who eventually became King Gorm after 6 bloody wars with the various counts and dukes of denmark and their filthy swedish allies. Gorm reigned for 58 years, which meant most of his children actually died out before he did. He also managed to take 4 territories out of Sweden, erected his own antipope and bacame best buds with the poles after helping them with a few wars. At the end of his reign, a lowly Duke managed to amass 3.5k prestige and 500 piety. Pretty much every single territory in his demense had gotten themselves a truckload of upgrades, so he's basically richer than Scrooge McDuck. Sadly his last living child of his first wife ended up inheriting, even though Gorm was tutoring his son Frederik with his second wife, and frederik had gained both genius, ambitious, brave and a bunch of other desirable traits. I'm thinking when he comes of age I may look into a way to play as him instead and take control of Denmark again. Frederik II truly has the stats to begome a majestic ruler.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I installed the CK2+ mod and played with it in one of my games. I really like the higher quantity of events, plots, and ambitions. But somehow it bugged a lot my play. I played along another mod that gives more church events, maybe it was because that.

Mods usually don't play nice with each other. So yeah, that.

But the thing that killed this mod for me is that I love playing as a spanish count, and the higher piety cost and requirements for holy wars against muslims made the game more frustrating, even though the emirates got a little nerfed.

Yeah, Wiz has been doing way too much 'balancing' for my taste. He likes his mp and automatically assumes that players start out with a large kingdom and thus tries to 'balance' the whole game around this. My biggest gripe with the mod.

Also, all tech and economy starting at 0 is annoying. A really good mod I have to say, it just have things that I disagree with a lot.

While I actually like that part the mod has quite a few decisions in it that make me facepalm. Still, of all the stuff out there it is easily the best one and compared to vanilla it just offers so much more.

Vaarna_Aarne

You mean a Mayor DLC Trash, or just a typo?

So I decided to start a new game. Same goals as before - absorb sweden as Denmark. Except instead of starting as a king I started out as the duke of Slesvig-Holstein. It took a lot of plotting, a lot of backstabbing and a little luck, but I managed to get my heir in position to put strong claims on the various counties and duchies. My king died at an age of 35 (Boo!), his wife becoming the spymaster of the count of Fyn after remarrying. What followed was an epic reign og Duke Gorm, who eventually became King Gorm after 6 bloody wars with the various counts and dukes of denmark and their filthy swedish allies. Gorm reigned for 58 years, which meant most of his children actually died out before he did. He also managed to take 4 territories out of Sweden, erected his own antipope and bacame best buds with the poles after helping them with a few wars. At the end of his reign, a lowly Duke managed to amass 3.5k prestige and 500 piety. Pretty much every single territory in his demense had gotten themselves a truckload of upgrades, so he's basically richer than Scrooge McDuck. Sadly his last living child of his first wife ended up inheriting, even though Gorm was tutoring his son Frederik with his second wife, and frederik had gained both genius, ambitious, brave and a bunch of other desirable traits. I'm thinking when he comes of age I may look into a way to play as him instead and take control of Denmark again. Frederik II truly has the stats to begome a majestic ruler.
Denmark is generally a good place to play as, it's pretty much the golden navel of the world, richest territory there is.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Denmark is generally a good place to play as, it's pretty much the golden navel of the world, richest territory there is.
Yeah. I added an additional holding to Slesvig, Holstein, Sjælland, Fyn, Jylland and Småland (after taking it from the filthy swedes) and upgraded every single holding in the nation I could lay my greedy hands on. On the economy overview just about every territory is bright green. Exceptions being Bornholm, a few of my most recently conquered swedish provinces and some territory near Estonia I haven't the slightest clue how I inherited.

Right now I'm playing as King Thorstein, oldest son of King Gorm the Just. Unfortunately, due to Gorms long reign, Thorstein managed to accrue a bunch of dumbfuck traits and already sired and raised an even dumbfuckerer heir. King Gorms youngest son, Frederik, is 15 years old and has a bunch of really desireable traits, genius being foremost among them. Sadly with the current crown law being Primogenure I don't get the option of passing everything off to Frederik II. The two workarounds I can think of is either:

1) Hand Frederik as many landed titles as I can, save game, then load it and pick Frederik as ruler instead. Then kick king Thorstein out like old king Gorm did to the Ylvings. But i'm not sure if you can actually switch ruler when you load a game or the option to pick them at the single player game screen is just for show. Also, I dunno if it will reset my score to 0. It would suck to lose the awesome prestige accrual from king Gorm.

Or 2) Keep a tight rein on Frederik II, make sure his heirs are educated by Thorstein to minimize the damage caused by dumbfuck AI childrearing, switch succession back to elective and nominate Frederik II as Thorsteins successor. Then give Frederik some nice tracts of land once Thorstein has educated the heir. But Thorstein is already in his fifties (King Gorm lived to 78) so I can't be sure he'll last the 16-19 years it'll take for Frederik II to pop out a son and finish educating him. Heck, I can't be sure he'll last the 10 years I need him to live to change the crown laws.

DAMN IT GORM! Why did you have to be such an übermensch!? I tried getting the king killed off, I really did. He was still leading armies in Poland (and kicking ass) at 76 years of age. His longevity really fucked up my plans for the succession.

Vaarna_Aarne

All children and the heir's children should be raised by the King. Don't listen to daddy, he's an idiot. Granddaddy knows best.

Anyway, here's what you should do: Put out some fatherly love from beyond the grave. Which means assassinate EVERYONE until Frederik is the heir. Then you can do something smart like send assassins after the Caliph or something to get Thorstein killed.

Also, being a good father in CK2 means knowing when your children just have to die learn about unfortunate accidents.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Anyway, here's what you should do: Put out some fatherly love from beyond the grave. Which means assassinate EVERYONE until Frederik is the heir. Then you can do something smart like send assassins after the Caliph or something to get Thorstein killed.

Hmmm... That's probably the way to go. But also tricky. Gorm and Thorstein both had gigantic cocks and spewed forth legions of pretenders for the titles. I imagine I'll have kill off Thorsteins children, Thorsteins grandchildren, Frederiks 2 older brothers and the two older brothers children before Frederik is next in line. That's, what, 16-17 people that need to die. And thorstein and his wife both have abysmal intrigue scores. :(

[edit]

Friend of mine just provided a partial workaround. If I can get the bishops to like my new king, I can appoint Thorsteins heirs as their successors. If they turn into bishops they can't inherit IIRC.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Not sure if it's been posted before but I found this guide immensely handy as a new player with only limited experience with previous Paradox games:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?589469-GUIDE-In-depth-Guide-to-CKII

It hilights a lot of stuff the tutorial skimmed over and has handy TL;DR subsections at the end of each section.
:thumbsup:

Interesting snippets from the guide:
Thus unless you are orthodox or heretic, you'll risk losing out on taxes with bishops, while with burghers you cannot control the succession. You also as mentioned have to deal with some pretty big opinion penalties.
Do note that granting titles to bishops has the added benefit of giving you piety. You get 25 piety from granting a holding, 100 for a county, 200 for a duchy, 800 for a kingdom, and 6400 for an empire. Thus giving a few counties to bishops can be a great way to get piety which makes getting the Invasion CB pretty easy.

This might actually just have saved my ass in my pagan game. I have a swedish king looking to invade me and not enough piety to hire a holy order to defend myself.

The strategy I recommend for giving out counties goes like this: Search for characters that are not rulers, are of your religion, are male, and are of your culture. You should then sort by dynasty, and scroll down to your own. You should now find someone who is not heir to anything, and who's heir does not own anything. You then give that person a single county with all its holdings (if applicable). The new count will then soon make the holdings in the county into vassals, and will be of no threat to you.
For duchies you do much the same. Search for characters that are rulers, are of your religion, and are of your culture. Sort by dynasty, and scroll down to your own. Find someone who owns a single county or barony. One county and one barony is also fine, but only a single holding is preferable. This person should get the duchy. It does not matter if (s)he actually holds any counties within the duchy; that is their problem, not yours. By following this strategy you'll end up with dukes who hold a single duchy and a single county, and will be unlikely to ever be able to challenge your power.

Ooooh. Using persons sorted to find out who to give the titles to is a pretty clever idea.

Whenever a vassal rebels and you beat him, you should strip him of his primary title. To do this you will need Limited Crown Authority. You can then follow the strategy described above to give this title to someone else.
Further, you can deliberately make strong vassals rebel so that you can imprison them and strip them of a title. Simply give them the court jester honorary title, and raise their vassals and just leave them there. Eventually they will rebel, and then you can crush them and take a title from them.

Kind of cheesy but makes perfect sense. This seems like an altogether cheaper (piety/gold/tyranny/reputation)-wise solution to plotting or fabricating claims to accrue all the counties in your dutchies.

Summary
Keep your vassals happy and weak, and yourself strong, and it becomes much easier to hold onto the throne.
My tips are as follows:
  • When giving out a county, give it to a dynasty member who holds no other titles
  • When giving out a duchy, give it to a dynasty member who holds a single county or barony
  • After crushing a rebellion, strip every member of the rebellion of their primary title. You'll need Limited Crown Authority
  • Revoke the titles of any infidels and heretics. You'll need Medium Crown Authority
  • If any vassal is getting too strong, induce rebellion then strip him of a title
  • Avoid having vassals of different cultures and religions. Inducing rebellion can help
  • Get Medium Crown Authority, it will stop vassals from expanding via intra-realm conquest
  • Hold every county in two bordering duchies
  • Upgrade your holdings as much as possible
  • Be your heir's guardian
  • Give out bribes and honorary titles to prevent rebellion

If only I had kept this checklist at hand going into my first game, my kingdom would've been a lot less fucked up after Gorm died.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
If only I had kept this checklist at hand going into my first game, my kingdom would've been a lot less fucked up after Gorm died.

Yeah, that's a pretty good list. The game still likes to throw spanners into your hard work every now and then though. Sometimes through wierd inheritence stuff suddenly counts can grow rather alarmingly. Worse if somehow another powerfull ruler gets claims on you. I like marrying off my dynasty around the world to spread their blood and get claims but sometimes it can backfire quite spectacularly. I still fondly remember when the HRE suddenly decided to press a claim on my small and struggling independent duchy. Ouch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom