Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
SotSE is very old
CK2 and Vic2 are the only worthwhile games here.
I BEG YOUR PARDON but Sword of the Stars 1 is quite good. :rpgcodex:
Unfortunately the version in that bundle doesn't activate on Steam, only CK2, SotS2, and Magicka+DLC do.

Never said its not good just its old = cheap now. Its WAY better than 2.

EmoBunny

Savant
Huge thanks for update on this, I've been waiting to snag a legitimate copy of CK2

Is there any way to change the ending date of the game? I did a late start as the Byzantines after the fourth crusade with only a small strip of land on the western edge of anatolia wedged between Rum and the Latin Empire. Through the game Egypt has annexed pretty much all of the middle east and assimilated all of the Kingdoms into itself making it's de jure borders absolutely enormous and contains the vast majority of all muslim lands. So after a string of failed crusades for Jerusalem seeing as the Kingdom of Jerusalem no longer exist there has been called a Crusade for Egypt. This one is actually making good progress towards victory (in no small part due to my constant wars against Egypt) and has been ongoing for I think at least 50 years. Well In any case I just want to go on and see this crusade finally succeed which will essentially completely destroy Islam.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Merkwürdigliebe
I know the Carte Blance mod allows the game to run on ad nauseam. The end date isn't hard-coded but I don't know if you can mod a new end date into a game that's aready running. I'd ask on the paradox forums if I were you. You're more likely to get a useful answer in a timely manner there.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Ok cool I'll try that out.

Any way new expansion on the way http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?610568-1.06-Information-amp-First-Expansion. Pagans vs Muslims, which is better and why? Discuss!!!
iznogoud.jpg

They better release a separate Grand Vizier mode DLC.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I love their new approach of game mechanics fixes being released in patches irrespective of DLC, which wasn't always true. It's gravitating towards the ideal of what DLC should mean to begin with.

It will be interesting to see if there's any changes within the Pagan gameplay with this DLC.

The big prestige loss due to being monogamous is huge incline. Getting married will probably cost money now.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
I have a question. Is there any way to disallow matrilineal marriage through some file tweeking? If there is, could it be possible to mod the game so that even though it's disallowed in general, it is allowed if there is no living male dynasty member? Ideally it should be possible to legitimise a heir, who is of blood - but not dynasty, and incorporate him into your dynasty. I don't think that's a possible mod though.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
Now for something completely different. Has anyone tried a HRE multi-player game? Each player gains a kingdom of the HRE at the start (the express premise being that whomever gets to play the first emperor creates the kingdoms and doesn't change any laws while those kingdoms are still uncreated - I guess a slightly edited map would work as good), that would make it a 8 player (can you have that many? otherwise two kingdoms for each person) game (Germany, Burgundy, Italy, Bohemia, Bavaria, Lotharingia, Pomerania, Frisia). It could be quite exciting. Including voting for a new emperor between the players. It would also render HRE actually playable.

Which brings up another point. You should be able to tell a vassal to command his own strategic effort in a war; controlling everything from the HRE throne room is fucking silly. Especially when those vassals are kingdoms. Which brings up another point, emperor sliders should be much more difficult to configure than kingdom sliders - more autonomy. If the emperor owns a kingdom that slider over-rules the empire slider within his own kingdom.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I always wanted to play a HRE MP game (named 7 little electors or something) but from what I know it never happened. Your variant isnt even possible since Pomerania is a pagan only kingdom.

But there are several very interesting powers in HRE. Bohemia, Tuscany, Bavaria, Burgundy, Frisia... this kind of game would need some custom rules of course. And all law changes need to be voted, with 7 other players HRE wouldnt pass them without their consent. And even if he did there are plots for lowering CA. It would be all about appeasing vassals while increasing personal power. Fun game indeed - as long as there are limits one expansion out of HRE, otherwise in two generations everyone will become kings of all neighboring nations.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
So I just started getting into this game and I was wondering if anyone here could help me out. I started as that bastard William and took the throne of England easily after figuring out that you had to siege every holding in a province. I then invaded Norway until he gave up and had England all to myself. I have 44/9 in my demesne and I am trying to figure out how to split this up. I know that i can only have 2 duchies myself and I gave another to my heir. I can create 4 more if I want to when I get the money. Several duchies are owned by kids under 5 from the old king's court and the previous king is now a duke of Bedford or something. Can I just dump the rest of these lower titles onto my heir or will the titles that I can't hold like mayor and bishop still be screwed up if a duke has them? What is the major drawback to giving my heir 30+ holdings? I figured that when William the Conqueror died the heir would just have a ton of holdings and I could split them up again to his heir if he had one. The other issue is that my heir is a flaming homo (the description says he is a bit queer. lol wat?) and I don't seem to have an option to arrange a marriage for him.

How do you guys deal with taking a kingdom and having to split up the holdings?

Help me, bros. You're my only hope!

EmoBunny

Savant
If you give your heir all those holdings and he revolts you're gonna have a big fucking problem.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
I always wanted to play a HRE MP game (named 7 little electors or something) but from what I know it never happened. Your variant isnt even possible since Pomerania is a pagan only kingdom.

But there are several very interesting powers in HRE. Bohemia, Tuscany, Bavaria, Burgundy, Frisia... this kind of game would need some custom rules of course. And all law changes need to be voted, with 7 other players HRE wouldnt pass them without their consent. And even if he did there are plots for lowering CA. It would be all about appeasing vassals while increasing personal power. Fun game indeed - as long as there are limits one expansion out of HRE, otherwise in two generations everyone will become kings of all neighboring nations.
I completely forgot to check the requirements for those Kingdoms. I just quickly boot up the game to write down all the names. You could always mod the map and force it.

Obviously there has to be a gentleman's agreement that no assassination bashing will take place within player dynasties. The important aspect will be the diplomatic manoeuvrings within the empire. Not only for the players themselves, but as an LP it could be fascinating.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I give the holdings to small counts with no other claims. Also make sure noone has more than two holdings as they can then start to grow way out of controll. Plus try not to create or give away ducal titles as these turn AI nobles into independent wanting bastards. And giving your heir all those holdings will probably make him go over his demesne limit so he'll start giving them away. And you don't want that, nor do you want to think about what will happen if the heir decides to move things up and revolt.

Anyway, excited about the muslim DLC. I guess pagans are for another day but the screenshot alone has some interesting new stuff in it. They mentioned new plots which is nice but I do also hope we'll be seeing more ambitions. Looking forward to this one.

Multi-headed Cow

Hot damn, I'll probably pick up that DLC. May even get it on release (Or soon) since I've got $6 worth of credit at Greenman Gaming, which carries Steam keys of CK2 DLC.

Really should finish my Ireland game. Once I had three thrones attached to my main guy I started slowing down. Dealing with laws and succession issues and rebellions strongly discourages becoming king of everything. Unfortunately I also married the ruling (Ruling shortly after I married her, ho ho ho) queen of Norway, so it'll probably be four thrones for the next generation dude.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It makes sens to make the first big DLC the Muslim's and fleshing them out.

I would rather have Pagan of course, but that will most likely be the second big DLC.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Now for something completely different. Has anyone tried a HRE multi-player game? Each player gains a kingdom of the HRE at the start (the express premise being that whomever gets to play the first emperor creates the kingdoms and doesn't change any laws while those kingdoms are still uncreated - I guess a slightly edited map would work as good), that would make it a 8 player (can you have that many? otherwise two kingdoms for each person) game (Germany, Burgundy, Italy, Bohemia, Bavaria, Lotharingia, Pomerania, Frisia). It could be quite exciting. Including voting for a new emperor between the players. It would also render HRE actually playable.

Which brings up another point. You should be able to tell a vassal to command his own strategic effort in a war; controlling everything from the HRE throne room is fucking silly. Especially when those vassals are kingdoms. Which brings up another point, emperor sliders should be much more difficult to configure than kingdom sliders - more autonomy. If the emperor owns a kingdom that slider over-rules the empire slider within his own kingdom.

I was thinking about such a game too and I'm up for it. Lets get some more people.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
While I'm not interested in playing as a muslim (i prefer to kick their arses in Spain and Africa), I will probably get it just to support this model of patches with additional content. The 1.06 patch looks really interesting, althought I hope that they don't fuck it again as with the bug ridden 1.05 one.

:paradoxfanboi:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/31/cultural-expansion-ck-ii-sword-of-islam/#more-110275

Short article with a link to the trailer for the DLC. Seems they expanded ambitions and decisions, added events, an empire, tweaked combat and did some graphical work. Not really the expansive and ambitious announcement trailer I had hoped for to make the muslims play very differently but it also lacks some of the information that could be gleamed from the earlier screenshot. So perhaps there is more that they decided to divulge later. Anyway, day one purchase for me. Also looking forward to the 1.06 patch to see what that will bring.

I really do hope they'll add childbirth events and more ambitions and decisions.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I hope theyll make dev diaries out of this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom