Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
On subject of the checklist, you may have to go over the two private duchies limit eventually in order to keep your demesne limit maxed out (or rather, maxed out in a manner that won't bite you in the ass when you get a hard-to-kill retard managing to succeed or AI fucks up raising your grandkids). It's only a -10 penalty, you can deal with it most of the time. Also, don't just raise your heirs, raise ALL your kids and the three grandkids first in line to make sure no retards get into the immediate succession. Sometimes it's wise to raise all your grandkids too.

EDIT: Also, whenever you get a new province, begin immediate ethnic purge among the local Holdings. Otherwise you'll have foreign/infidel mayors and priests causing problems. Just hope they're infidels, it's the only way to clean up, if they aren't tough noogies you're stuck with a bunch of foreigners in your realm.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, don't just raise your heirs, raise ALL your kids and the three grandkids first in line to make sure no retards get into the immediate succession. Sometimes it's wise to raise all your grandkids too.
You can raise only two kid simultaneously.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
But you said raise all heirs. Also what sons? Isn't a daughter n. 6 no sons relatively common occurrance in CKII? Or even more brutal, first son was killed, did these daughters married matrilinearly?

XenomorphII

Prophet
I always like to send my daughters (after I have a son anyway) to my vassals for education. It helps provide stability. My sons go to me, or someone in my court with great stats (that way I can pull him back to me when I have an open slot or if I see them getting some bad traits).

Vaarna_Aarne

But you said raise all heirs. Also what sons? Isn't a daughter n. 6 no sons relatively common occurrance in CKII? Or even more brutal, first son was killed, did these daughters married matrilinearly?
Well, generally I just have daughters raised by high-stat vassals and courtiers. Non-essential sons tend to go to raising relations with high-statted vassals.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So I continued my game where I started with a barony and ended up king of Denmark. I was kind of strapped for cash which made no sense whatsoever considering I had Fyn, Sjælland, Jylland, Slesvig Bornholm, Skåne, Halland, blekinge and 2 duchies as my demesme. (Duke of slesvig was my second son who also happened to be count of Holstein). All in all I had a neat little 11/11 demesme, 2 duchies, everything pretty well developed. Problem turned out to be that pretty much all my bishops loved the fuck out of the pope.

So I set up an antipope. Which initially worked quite well. But the lowered moral authority of the church and some dumbfucks getting their asses whooped by the mudslimes meant heresy began springing up everywhere. I couldn't install my antipope as the real one however, since I could only raise ~3k men without mercenaries. So when the pope called a crusade on Scotland (lol, I know. Lots of heresy was afoot there) I decided I had better pitch in to get the MA back up before my lovely little stable country had heresy issues.

It turns out I was the only ruler who answered the call. HRE was fragmented, Hungary and Poland were fighting over potato, England - who you'd think could be counted upon to rob scotsmen of their FREEDOM was getting bitchslapped all over the place by the french and the King of France had turned orthodox (lolwat?), so he didn't give a fuck.

Fortunately scotland itself was in a sorry state. I raised my army of 4k, bought 2 mercenary armies (5k and 2k respectively), confirmed my war chest would keep be in the black for at least a year before I'd have to let the mercs go, raised my fuckhueg fleet and set course for scotland. By the time I got there, a vatican Doomstack™ of around 10k BROs was raping and pillaging the countryside. So I split my forces into 4 groups and set about sieging the counties the pope had already rampaged through while the vatican killed off scottish armies.

Eventually the scotsmen crumbled, Praise Odin Jesus. The pope looked the armies of the Righteous and realized the only army there was came from the guy with the antipope. Throwing up his arms in exasperation, pope benedict did proclaim: "Fucketh this shit. Scotland doth be an ungodly mess. It belongs to thee now. Enjoy!" Which made my demesme explode from 11/11 to 58/11, gave me a shitload of duchies with no heirs to pass them off to. By now, my badass 24 martial king was in his sixties and all his sons were married off (patrilinearily :obviously:) to other rulers in Europe. So I went through my court and started giving off counties to barons, making sure noone had more than 1. Then I gave off my excess duchies to counts, making sure that the counts didn't actually have any of the counties in the duchy to forestall consolidation of titles. finally I made a nephew king of Scotland. (Although the only vassal he had was the Isle of Man. The rest belonged to ME!)

I also got a shitton of jewgold. So after sending my levies home and rebuilding for a while I realized I had a claim on England I could press. Since the king of england was throughoughly raped by the french, my personal levies and some mercenaries could merrily stomp across his countryside until the king bent over and begged for mercy. I went through the same circus as I did in Scotland, setting up vassals to be as individually weak as possible, then gave the crown to a distant cousin since my heir would only inherit one kingdom and I wanted Denmark since it was a fuckload more stable and profitable.

Disaster averted, all my vassals loved me again (as well they should. I just gave out a shitliad of baronies, cities, bishoperics, counties, duchies and kingdoms). My dynasty was rulers in Denmark, England, Scotland, Hungary, Poland and a few duchies in HRE thanks to patrilineal marriages (and a few assassinations). And they looked set to become rulers in their own right since everyone were rebelling against Der Kaiser. Things were looking good. Then my king croaked at 68. Long live King Clusterfuck I! Reigned for 48 years and accrued 6k prestige and 1.8k piety.

My heir with bugger all diplomacy took over. Everyone suddenly hated everyone. Pretty much every county in England/Scotland is fighting or rebelling. I was foresighted enough to sink their fleets (raised them, sailed them to jerusalem, disbanded them) to preent them from reaching me so I'm mostly just ignoring them at this point.

My main problem is that I'd really like to get to work on conquoring sweden. Taking over the british isles sidetracked me. I also desperately need to produce a fuckton of male heirs I can give titles to when I do since I'm kicking myself over having to give so many titles away outside of my dynasty.

This game is amazing. How did I ever live without? :love:

Vaarna_Aarne

So I continued my game where I started with a barony and ended up king of Denmark. I was kind of strapped for cash which made no sense whatsoever considering I had Fyn, Sjælland, Jylland, Slesvig Bornholm, Skåne, Halland, blekinge and 2 duchies as my demesme. (Duke of slesvig was my second son who also happened to be count of Holstein). All in all I had a neat little 11/11 demesme, 2 duchies, everything pretty well developed. Problem turned out to be that pretty much all my bishops loved the fuck out of the pope.

So I set up an antipope. Which initially worked quite well. But the lowered moral authority of the church and some dumbfucks getting their asses whooped by the mudslimes meant heresy began springing up everywhere. I couldn't install my antipope as the real one however, since I could only raise ~3k men without mercenaries. So when the pope called a crusade on Scotland (lol, I know. Lots of heresy was afoot there) I decided I had better pitch in to get the MA back up before my lovely little stable country had heresy issues.

It turns out I was the only ruler who answered the call. HRE was fragmented, Hungary and Poland were fighting over potato, England - who you'd think could be counted upon to rob scotsmen of their FREEDOM was getting bitchslapped all over the place by the french and the King of France had turned orthodox (lolwat?), so he didn't give a fuck.

Fortunately scotland itself was in a sorry state. I raised my army of 4k, bought 2 mercenary armies (5k and 2k respectively), confirmed my war chest would keep be in the black for at least a year before I'd have to let the mercs go, raised my fuckhueg fleet and set course for scotland. By the time I got there, a vatican Doomstack™ of around 10k BROs was raping and pillaging the countryside. So I split my forces into 4 groups and set about sieging the counties the pope had already rampaged through while the vatican killed off scottish armies.

Eventually the scotsmen crumbled, Praise Odin Jesus. The pope looked the armies of the Righteous and realized the only army there was came from the guy with the antipope. Throwing up his arms in exasperation, pope benedict did proclaim: "Fucketh this shit. Scotland doth be an ungodly mess. It belongs to thee now. Enjoy!" Which made my demesme explode from 11/11 to 58/11, gave me a shitload of duchies with no heirs to pass them off to. By now, my badass 24 martial king was in his sixties and all his sons were married off (patrilinearily :obviously:) to other rulers in Europe. So I went through my court and started giving off counties to barons, making sure noone had more than 1. Then I gave off my excess duchies to counts, making sure that the counts didn't actually have any of the counties in the duchy to forestall consolidation of titles. finally I made a nephew king of Scotland. (Although the only vassal he had was the Isle of Man. The rest belonged to ME!)

I also got a shitton of jewgold. So after sending my levies home and rebuilding for a while I realized I had a claim on England I could press. Since the king of england was throughoughly raped by the french, my personal levies and some mercenaries could merrily stomp across his countryside until the king bent over and begged for mercy. I went through the same circus as I did in Scotland, setting up vassals to be as individually weak as possible, then gave the crown to a distant cousin since my heir would only inherit one kingdom and I wanted Denmark since it was a fuckload more stable and profitable.

Disaster averted, all my vassals loved me again (as well they should. I just gave out a shitliad of baronies, cities, bishoperics, counties, duchies and kingdoms). My dynasty was rulers in Denmark, England, Scotland, Hungary, Poland and a few duchies in HRE thanks to patrilineal marriages (and a few assassinations). And they looked set to become rulers in their own right since everyone were rebelling against Der Kaiser. Things were looking good. Then my king croaked at 68. Long live King Clusterfuck I! Reigned for 48 years and accrued 6k prestige and 1.8k piety.

My heir with bugger all diplomacy took over. Everyone suddenly hated everyone. Pretty much every county in England/Scotland is fighting or rebelling. I was foresighted enough to sink their fleets (raised them, sailed them to jerusalem, disbanded them) to preent them from reaching me so I'm mostly just ignoring them at this point.

My main problem is that I'd really like to get to work on conquoring sweden. Taking over the british isles sidetracked me. I also desperately need to produce a fuckton of male heirs I can give titles to when I do since I'm kicking myself over having to give so many titles away outside of my dynasty.

This game is amazing. How did I ever live without? :love:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Give it a generation. I got a genius, strong, ambitious, 15 diplomacy, 14 intrigue, 15 stewardship, 23 martial heir set up to reunite all my kingdoms and become the god-emperor of man

:bro::yeah:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You know you can create new vassals to give titles to right? I usually spam those clergy ones since they only cost 5 piety and you get a dude without any relatives/allies and prestige/piety. Weak fool, perfect vassal. Then I pick the least competent of those as dukes. It weakens my kingdom but at least I can reign them in when its needed.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I emptied my court, starting with nonessential courtiers. Forgot I could spawn new ones though, my bad.

Problem was my wars on Scotland and England gave me something like 70-80 surplus counties I had to get rid of to get my demesme back to 11/11 and a shitfuckload of duchies.

And I can't transfer the scottish/english counts and dukes vassalage to my nephew the king of scotland to be rid of them, since many of them have baronies/bishoperics in Denmark as well.

In hindsight I should've done the following:
1) Give every bishop in england/scotland the county their bishoperic was situated in plus associated lower titles.
2) Give every surplus duchy to one of my newly elevated counts, making sure they didn't have any of the territories that made up the de jure duchy
3) Give the kingdom of scotland to a relative, give the kingdom of england to another relative
4) Once my old king died, whenever one of my scottish/english vassals began accruing revolt risk, transfer their vassalage -- scottish vassals to the king of england, english vassals to the king of scotland.
5) 2 bloodline kings should now hypothetically love the fuck out of me ('cause I gave them free shit) yet be ready to claw each others eyes out ('cause they desire the shit the other relative has).
6) Sit back, eat popcorn, watch fireworks.

Vaarna_Aarne

Step 4 doesn't work, they'll just usurp each other's titles because they control the de jure. Same thing happens when giving out ducal titles in step 2, the dukes would just usurp.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So the only way to be rid of england and scotland would've been to immediately give a relative king + all lower titles and be done with it? :(

Damn it, I need to read up on medieval succession laws.

Vaarna_Aarne

No, you need to ensure all of the goddamn kingdom titles have Primogeniture succession law. You see, each of those titles has its own Laws. So instead you should make sure you can change the succession law of a kingdom you acquire to your liking before the king croaks.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:incline: of my superior breeding programme!

My ruler married some pagan slut with the genius trait. 4 of their 7 children 5 of 8 children so far have inherited it.

[Edit]

My grandson (firstborn of heir) has inherited both a Genius AND a Strong trait. Truly my dynasty is house Übermensch

sser

Arcane
Developer
For those interested and following this thread, you can get CKII (and other games) in a rather amazing Amazon deal going on right now.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
:incline: of my superior breeding programme!

My ruler married some pagan slut with the genius trait. 4 of their 7 children 5 of 8 children so far have inherited it.

[Edit]

My grandson (firstborn of heir) has inherited both a Genius AND a Strong trait. Truly my dynasty is house Übermensch

A dynasty truly worthy to be called germanic. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
For those interested and following this thread, you can get CKII (and other games) in a rather amazing Amazon deal going on right now.
Is there an option to get those games as steam codes instead? :P

The bundle is a really good deal, but the only one of those games I haven't got already is Vicky 2

Topher

Cipher
Sweet deal. I want disks though and my local Half Price Books always has Vicky 2 for five bucks. Speaking of, I walked in there the other day and what did I see but copies, complete in box, of might and magic 6,7,8, betray at antara, police quest 5 and legend of arkania. Which codexer got hard up for cash here in Texas?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its not that good of a deal actually. SotSE is very old, SotSE2 is shit, Magicka is good but cheap, CK2 and Vic2 are the only worthwhile games here.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Christ. How does paradox make any money? I'm still holding out for steam sale.

it actually activated by Stem, 12 jewgold for CK2 and Vic 2 is good deal nethertheless.

Multi-headed Cow

SotSE is very old
CK2 and Vic2 are the only worthwhile games here.
I BEG YOUR PARDON but Sword of the Stars 1 is quite good. :rpgcodex:
Unfortunately the version in that bundle doesn't activate on Steam, only CK2, SotS2, and Magicka+DLC do.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I already have Vicky II too. I'm expecting CKII + DLC to have a 75% over the summer sale, plus the Vicky II DLC. I can wait.

CKII $39.99 75% off = $10.00.

Bundle is $12.50.

CKII DLC is music and a ruler editor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom