Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

newcomer

Learned
I'm curious whether pirated (fully patched + DLC) version can join MP; is it possible?

Fuck, nevermind this. I finally did it; my first game purchase, for better or for worse...

Edit: Btw, for those of you already playing for quite some time, how's the ethiopians? did they got steamrolled as usual? If not I want to try playing as them & crush towelheads

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm curious whether pirated (fully patched + DLC) version can join MP; is it possible?

Fuck, nevermind this. I finally did it; my first game purchase, for better or for worse...

Edit: Btw, for those of you already playing for quite some time, how's the ethiopians? did they got steamrolled as usual? If not I want to try playing as them & crush towelheads
They're the same, but in a MP game we could protect you.

newcomer

Learned
They're the same, but in a MP game we could protect you.

What a pity :(

In my previous game in mutant 1.06b (Monophysite Britannia), the Abyssinians survived Fatimids (it's more like the Fatimids are hardcoded not to attack Abyssinia dejure), but raped by Fatimid's vassals and Emirs of Sanaa.

I thought the introduction of Miaphysites would make the west africans more playable :(

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Started Legacy of Rome as a Count under the Duke of Tarnovo. Joined a plot to oust him which resulted in a war that I started out winning, but soon lost when I got imprisoned in battle. Then I got released, but only after my dick got lopped off. I had no heirs.

Gonna try more stuff like the Retinue system later.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Official forums are being swarmed over by the hordes of whiny bitches who piss and moan that their massive empires have trouble dealing with the new faction system. It's the middle ages, centralised government was in a constant battle with powerfull local nobles for power. At least now the lords of the realm can't simply up the crown laws all the time and civil wars have gotten some much needed oomph. Goddamn mappainters want this game to be another EUIII and be all about creating the biggest blob. This is why we can't have good things.

Game is still lacking the things that made the original great. The dynasty sim part has been very strongly nerfed and remains that way. No childbirth deaths, weak diseases, easily survivable wounds and a lot less of the cruel gods of faith that made keeping your family going in CK1 such a treat. Buildings do not get destroyed so the entire game is based around ever increasingly strong realms and you can still fight over a province for decades without the place becoming a plundered and burned out hellhole. Events also lack that cruelty that was all over the original CK1.

Doubt Paradox will do something with that though. Their customer basis seems not to want to play a mix between roleplaying, the sims and strategy but instead paint a map in their chosen colour. Do have hope we'll see a pagan dlc next. Would be neat if they made herecies a bit more fun as well.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So the Faction system puts a halt on France falling to Sword of Andhaira? Is Byzantium the blob again? Do Factions affect the gorram Mongorians?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
France is always a powerhouse. Byzantium got raped three times in a row in my games*. Mostly due to the Muslim Fatamids (?) who are still insanely strong and blob all the time. Mongols have not yet shown themselves in the games I played.

Factions do mean that big realms are more prone to internal difficulties. Which incidently means that playing as a noble other than the lord of the realm suddenly became a lot more fun. Muslim realms however are so strong that I honestly think they should look at the decadence mechanics. Perhaps make the penalties stronger and decadence rise more quickly and when the SHTF with the desert tribes rolling in instead of just replacing the ruling dynasty perhaps have the realm fall apart in squabling bits. Heck, it's even historic.

*In one game the Byzantine Empire was gone in 30 years. Seems that if they lose the first war against Aslan that they're fucked. And the AI usually does lose.

newcomer

Learned
Started the game as the Count of Tarsos (Armenian Miaphysite) for glorious challenge. Now it's ~1090 and I'm on the right track to become the King of Georgia (Read: ~400 gold more to create second duchy & kingdom title, and maybe succession law overhaul)

Seljuks still lost their war despite the levy.
Byzantine was calm during the first ~20 years. They managed to fend off the Fatimid Mujaheeds from Anatolia.
Harald Hadrade becomes the King of England

The first massive Byzantine civil war results in a KURDISH becoming the SHAHANSHAH of Byzantine Empire.
Currently there's 2 faction revolting, one minor faction for independence and one faction encompassing more than half of the empire (led by me) to lower CA and allow me to conquer Armenia for good.

While my army is small & my land is still recovering from all the religion & culture penalties, I got ~6k peasant armies through event. I'm winning the war thanks to the mass hatred towards the towelhead shahanshah (and the peasant armies)

Edit:

Oh, and the Cumans: seems like they get special CB. Alania & Georgia is steamrolled, and I plunged into the chaos to grab 6 counties in Georgia dejure for my own.

Tigranes

Arcane
I regretted my Sword of Islam purchase, for some reason, I haven't gone back to CK2 since the first month even though I still like it immensely. Like V2 there's just something 'floaty' about the experience, unlike my obsession with EU2/3.

Really want the Rome DLC but I doubt I'll play enough to justify the purchase.

EmoBunny

Savant
Updated my Memento Mori mod to work with the 1.07 patch and the latest batch of DLC.

http://www.mediafire.com/?stote70360e3t5c

Memento Mori for CKII 1.07

Memento Mori is a mod born out of a simple ambition. To bring back a little bit of the uncertainty and excitement that came with managing a dynasty in the original Crusader Kings with the excellent DVIP mod. While Crusader Kings II is in almost every aspect an improvement on the original game, Paradox has drastically lowered the difficulties and dangers that your characters run into during their life in the middle ages. Diseases back then were deadly, medical care was more apt to kill you than heal you, giving birth was like playing Russian roulette and violence maimed and killed as often as it gave prestige. This mod attempts to emulate the hardships that people endured in those times. Mind you, this is not made to make life for your nobles impossible or the game a whole lot more difficult. This is designed to make you stop taking easy births, chosen heirs, easy sickbeds and long lifespans for granted and to make you be a lot more invested in the succession of your lineage. In short, to make the Medieval Dynasty Simulator part of this amazing game a little more exciting. Hope you enjoy it!

Diseases are more virulent and deadly.
Wounds are more serious.
Battles have become slightly more dangerous for the participants.
More prestige gained for participants in battle.
Traveling over sea has become a bit more like the dangerous endeavor it used to be.
Assassination attempts have more serious consequences.
Sieges may lead to buildings being destroyed.
Children may now be stillborn and mothers can die while giving birth.

Many thanks to Wiz, Vaarne Aarne, apg, fawr, avee, GAGA extrem, rafek, the_chancellor and all those other people whom I bothered with endless questions and from whose mods I both learned and burrowed. This thing wouldn't exist without you!

Install instructions: unrar the contents of the rar file into your mod directory.

I've loved your mod in the past; does it work without the DLCs?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
EmoBunny, yup. It's merely updated to work with the latest patch. It's also compatible with all the official dlc.

What's annoying is that some of the absolute must-have mods are not compatible and most likely won't be updated due to the modders leaving. Better Looking Characters is a good example of that. Hoping others take over.

newcomer

Learned
Trash , I haven't tried your mod, still having trouble with faces DLC not activated on Steam. But maybe I would also like to suggest destruction of holdings if there are no buildings left. Destruction of holdings should occur after the war finishes in order to not mess up warscore calculation. This is accurate in history and even in CK2, because if you notice Constantinople in hundred years war have less cities than the one in Stamford Bridge (as far as I remember when I first played the original version)

In order to achieve this, maybe you can just flag the holdings going to be destroyed and prevent any buildings, and notice the owner that this holding is severely damaged. After war if the defender wins, he might opt to repair the holding or destroy it altogether and get some money from the scrapped holding. Repairing should cost less money & time compared to building new one, and the reimbursement for scrapping holdings should be small enough (maybe 50?) If the attacker wins, the holding will be destroyed and no option to repair will be given.

Oh, and don't forget that county capitals cannot be destroyed, and possibly cannot be severely damaged also. Otherwise, you might have crashes with provinces without any owners

newcomer

Learned
WTF is going on with my game:

Fatimid swallowed Persia & turn into a massive blob. At least Abyssinia is still on the map; seems like my theory of Fatimids hardcoded to not attack Abyssinia is true...

HRE blobbed to Africa, France holds a good chunk of Aragon & Andalusia. The Iberian kingdoms are no more.
Ireland wins the crusade to Jerusalem; so the AI did manage to unite Ireland after all...
BE starts some imperial reconquest war to the krauts, but always got swamped by factions / towelheads
Cumans stays the same size, Rus is formed and thriving.
And for England, some civil war ends the personal union of the crown of England and Norway.
Now England falls into the condition Ireland was in at the start of the game.

And for me... My family got a good luck of widespread 3 generations of Genius trait..
My next heir, a genius woman with 26 jewgold skill, is matrilinearly married to the brother (with strong claim and the born in purple trait) of the current Byzantine Emperor.
Problem is that the succession law of BE is elective :troll:
But I can always start a faction to change the law back to primo, although I'm sure none of the vassals would be happy to jump on the bandwagon.
Before that, still need to push the claim of that dude. But maybe I'll wait until my current king dies; shouldn't take too long, he's ~50 right now.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Fatamids need nerfing. That however has not to do with their faction as it has to do with the decadence mechanics. These should be made a lot stricter and when the tribes do come rolling in the realm shouldn't just get a new ruling dynasty but fall apart into squabling bits. With lots of CB on each other. That way you won't have to chance a whole lot in order to better balance stuff and you even get a more historical situation.

Faction system needs something to balance it out a bit. Perhaps a monarchy loyalist faction or some mechanic to threaten/cajole members of a faction to leave it. Big AI realms now dissolve into chaos a bit too often.

Local rebellions should have more impact. Rebels taking an entire province? Have them burn it to the ground, proclaim an independent republic or even bring forth a fully prepared pretender for the duchy/kingdom with invasion CB. Or even give the rebellion a chance to spread to bordering provinces. That should keep you invested in whacking 'em.

AI needs some help with fighting wars. Seen it go back and forth way too often. Not even mentioning all the times it goes to some lame province in bumfuck nowhere when the enemy capital is wide open to it.

And more plots, events, ambitions, yadayadayada.

newcomer

Learned
I agree with the local rebellions. Where are the creative local rebels from EU3 & V2?

And I'm not sure with the dedacence mechanics... They start a Jihad for Mesopotamia (BE hold some of the Mesopotamia Duchy & the county Baghdad) and have their dedacence plummets from 100% to freaking 12%. At least they weren't able to defend Jerusalem from the popamole

The improve self ambition doesn't fire too often (should fire more often but might have consequences with devastating effects).
And I also found a bug; the 3 year penalty for abandoning a plot doesn't fire. The opinion hit for that also doesn't fire

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Exactly why I mention stricter decadence mechanics. Quicker to rise, harder to reduce and with bigger consequences.

And yeah, wargoals and nasty rebels need some defenitive attention.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The fix for Fatimids would be representing their historical situation at the start of the game. If I recall correctly they were in a four way civil war at the time. Also they were shiite ruling over christians and sunni muslims.

newcomer

Learned
Now they've painted Persia & almost all of Arabia with that big SHIA letter :decline:

Well technically I can end that with an usurp button; in the midst of their massive faction rebellion & lower CA war, I managed to grab Damietta & Alexandria (and restored the Coptic papacy). Now I only need to push a bit to Cairo & usurp the Kingdom of Egypt for good.

The last bastion of Sunni in my game is only the Mali Sultanate, HRE steamrolled Mauretania & Africa and becomes the biggest independent faction in the game.
That's going to change though; My genius Queen inherited Byzantine Empire through election, redistribute the duchies & force convert dukes to eliminate support for pretenders. And oh, revoke Hagia Sophia from the Orthodox Partriach & give it to a Coptic bishop.
I also create vassal kingdom hoping that my vassal kings will be too busy putting off their faction revolts instead of revolting against me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I got myself the new expansion and started with some Russians.

WHY CAN ONLY GREEKS CASTRATE AND BLIND? :x

Gotta restart with some Byzantine duke.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Alright Trash, I'll add those two to my mod's next version, and then we can bash heads together and see if everything checks out.

Which files are you using, incidentally? Generally my stuff is related to titles, country files, culture files, map files, Casus Bellis, and the usual suspects (events + decisions). The absence of conflicts is basically the main thing for mod compatibility, though we'll probably see how it works with a duplicate file for your siege building destruction.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Just download it and have a look. It's just a few kb's. Mostly the usual stuff like defines.lua, static_modifiers.txt and so on. When you change values you'll have to toy around in the files that have these, so those are in the mod. Events and Localisation are my own files.

Do you have a version we can download and try, Vaarna_Aarne? I'm curious about what your raid CB is and curious to see wether or not your mod is compatible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom