Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Clam Man 2: Headliner is an upcoming combatless stand-up comedy RPG inspired by Disco Elysium

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The thing that makes me wonder: Was there a Clam Man 1 and how did the codex miss such a prestigious game?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

marafrass

Team Clam
Developer
Hilarious in its patheticness. Not a shred of originality in this that goes beyond seafood. They even copied that somber soundtrack Disco has, but in worse.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Also I am prophetic

Ouch, that one stings a little bit.

The music is actually from Clam 1, which came out May 21st, so it actually predates DE - it does sound a lot like it though, which I cant argue!

The UI is also essentially the same - I think DE had one of the best and legible text boxes in recent years, so for readability’s sake it was an easy decision to emulate it.

Hopefully by the time Ive finished the end product, there’s enough to differentiate it from DE, but Im sure the comparisons will always be there. (And considering how good DE was, it’ll definitely leave me at a disadvantage)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't really have to be so concerned about "differentiating" it from DE, that's just people here being ornery assholes. What matters is whether the writing is good.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hilarious in its patheticness. Not a shred of originality in this that goes beyond seafood. They even copied that somber soundtrack Disco has, but in worse.

Also I am prophetic

The music is actually from Clam 1, which came out May 21st, so it actually predates DE - it does sound a lot like it though, which I cant argue!

The UI is also essentially the same - I think DE had one of the best and legible text boxes in recent years, so for readability’s sake it was an easy decision to emulate it.

Hopefully by the time Ive finished the end product, there’s enough to differentiate it from DE, but Im sure the comparisons will always be there. (And considering how good DE was, it’ll definitely leave me at a disadvantage)

Unlucky accident in your disfavor then.

Disco Elysium is the most controversial rpg on the codex in a long time, your game was gonna get torn to shreds here by default due to the similarity.
I wish you more luck on the bigger markets, you might want to try reddit/r/rpg_gamers. They are a tad less vitriolic and relatively open to self advertisement.

There is a lot of stuff one could iterate on top of Disco Elysium, like a meaningfull character relation system or a better alignment/faction system.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
And Shadowrun did it vertically before DE.

As for Clam, I'm looking forward to seeing the final thing. Meanwhile I'm trying to schedule the remainder of my day so I can check the demo out later tonight.

You're working on the thing all on your lonesome?

marafrass

Team Clam
Developer

As for Clam, I'm looking forward to seeing the final thing. Meanwhile I'm trying to schedule the remainder of my day so I can check the demo out later tonight.

You’re right, I always forget about Shadowrun!

And I am! Makes writing difficult since I have to act as my own QA and editor, on top of everything else. And I do have a composer to help me out with the score, which is nice.

marafrass

Team Clam
Developer

Also I am prophetic

Disco Elysium is the most controversial rpg on the codex in a long time, your game was gonna get torn to shreds here by default due to the similarity.
I wish you more luck on the bigger markets, you might want to try reddit/r/rpg_gamers. They are a tad less vitriolic and relatively open to self advertisement.

There is a lot of stuff one could iterate on top of Disco Elysium, like a meaningfull character relation system or a better alignment/faction system.

Good point - there’s a very basic relationship system in the game (+1/-1 depending on your actions, so literally just a friendship value) and I could expand on that. Factions were supposed to be schools of comedy, but we’ll see how that works and how it feels as I keep developing. Appreciate your kind words, too.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Also I am prophetic

Good point - there’s a very basic relationship system in the game (+1/-1 depending on your actions, so literally just a friendship value) and I could expand on that. Factions were supposed to be schools of comedy, but we’ll see how that works and how it feels as I keep developing. Appreciate your kind words, too.

Well you just got blessings from Kasparov from Za/Um himself so I dont think you have to stress too much about differenting your game.
Didnt even know these guys were here, must be stressfull with so many people hating Disco outspokenly. But they probably dont have the balls to attack the Devs directly.

Last edited:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Well you just got blessings from Kasparov from Za/Um himself so I dont think you have to stress too much about differenting your game.
Didnt even know these guys were here, must be stressfull with so many people hating Disco outspokenly. But they probably dont have the balls to attack the Devs directly.
Stressful :lol:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I remember how @Vault Dweller once remarked that [INT] and [CHA] gate dialogues, written by people with neither high intelligence nor high charisma, were utterly cringeworthy.

What a wise man.

Even more stressful than watching sales come closer to the MILLION COPIES BECAUSE WE LOVE YOUR GAME?????

edit: yes, I'm blowing ZA/UM and Iron Tower in a single comment.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

You have gained a lot of respect from me in this thread, shielding a solo indy dev, who pretty much copies your game, from criticism is a chad move as an artist.

If its any consolidation I am fairly certain a lot of critique does not resound from the game itself but from your political alignment. Half of your fans on the dex are self admitted communists, half of your enemies are self admitted nazis. Your Marx & Engels comment caused trendemous butthurt among the right mongrels.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
You have gained a lot of respect from me in this thread, shielding a solo indy dev, who pretty much copies your game, from criticism is a chad move as an artist.
"Pretty much copies our game" is a stretch, bro. Although I guess we'll have to wait and see, haha.

If its any consolidation I am fairly certain a lot of critique does not resound from the game itself but from your political alignment. Half of your fans on the dex are self admitted communists, half of your enemies are self admitted nazis. Your Marx & Engels comment caused trendemous butthurt among the right mongrels.
Consider me consoled :salute:

Miserable Panda

Educated

You’re right, I always forget about Shadowrun!

And I am! Makes writing difficult since I have to act as my own QA and editor, on top of everything else. And I do have a composer to help me out with the score, which is nice.

Cheers on working on this project all by yourself. That's commendable.
Will probably try it out later this week. Good luck!

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
"Pretty much copies our game" is a stretch, bro. Although I guess we'll have to wait and see, haha.

Consider me consoled :salute:

“That great poets imitate and improve, whereas small ones steal and spoil.” - Ghandi, probably

I dont consider copying art bad if you innovate in any way on it. Wether Clam Man 2 will do that is up to be seen.

You guys are cool, if I didnt own Disco already id buy it for that tweet. :salute:

marafrass

Team Clam
Developer
You guys are cool, if I didnt own Disco already id buy it for that tweet. :salute:
Thanks! We're also on Epic Games Store now, so you might want to consider getting another copy there :cool:

Sorry marafrass I effectively hijacked the thread here. I'll make myself scarce unless I have something more to say about your game :oops:

Not at all, I really appreciate the support and kind words! It’s a nice contrast to a lot of the rest of the comments!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom