Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cleve Blakemore accuses the RPG Codex of bandwidth leeching

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
First of all, this post is

GAY

711px-Mr-Brains-Faggots-Pack.jpg

.. but I will respond to it.

Krancor said:
If you light the mountain on fire, then unless you have done a lot more insulating than mere concrete, you'll cook.

Do I really have to answer? Please don't do your thinking out loud.

Krancor said:
All someone needs is a sniper rifle to train on your entrance, and you're toast, no matter what you do, if you ever plan on coming out. 200 yards of defenses is not much. At 200 yards virtually anyone with a scoped rifle can take you out, and you won't even know they are out there til you walk out for some fresh air and get some right in your brain. For someone who's a good shot, they would not even need a scope for that. If someone had a genuine sniper rifle they could take you out at 1000 yards easily.

Isn't the advantage on our side, since we have fortified, heavily defended firing points behind 9 inches of rebar reinforced concrete? In your scenario, do we have guns with scopes or just super-soakers? I don't know.

Do you have any military experience or are you a typical 'kwan trying to play at soldier man? Ask anybody with real experience, they will tell you they would not dream of attacking such a position without artillery or air support. It would be suicide.

Krancor said:
If anything, your defenses sound dangerous and prone to failing in a way that kills you spectacularly. Your best defense is secrecy, and I am pretty sure that surrounding a hill with tank traps and barbed wire eliminates any chance you had of that. Even a remote shack is unlikely to be investigated by anyone, let alone a hole in the ground, but if someone sees a big fuck off fort on a hill that's fortified they'll immediately know that you have stores and weapons worth stealing.

It's peacetime now and our home blends into the terrain so curiously that sometimes from the street you cannot even guess there is a home there. Once I get the thorny brambles to crawl up my sealed fence, the entire property is essentially in cloaked mode forever.

Anybody bright enough to investigate will also be bright enough to stay away once they peer over the fence and realize what they are looking at. Life isn't like a 'kwan movie at all. Hungry people will move along and if they don't they just found an easy way to self-terminate.

I like the part where these people getting by on 600 calories a day organize their super commando raids and they charge fortified positions and spend hours cutting through barbed wire nests and anti-personnel devices. That'll happen.

Krancor said:
Also, don't you worry that you will char someone to death who had no idea you were even there in the first place? If the situation you describe happens, there's a good chance that at some point people wil be searching for survivors or supplies who are not murderers. If they weren't planning to kill you then, you can bet after you char their buddy to death they will plan on it, and since you are in a single location then they are most likely going to eventually succeed.

Anybody who get into the ravine already crawled over a fence and passed two signs with skull and crossbones.

Nobody will succeed at anything, they will just be a huge Monty Pythonesque pile at the bottom of a cliff.

Once I get realtime video blending with green screen masking, I will be able to design a fun and educational video game around killing looters for shelter inhabitants. It will involve RTS strategy elements. Maybe I can even do some isometric processing of the pixel frames from the CCD cameras to make it look like a Fallout MMORG. I can have floating to-hit percentages over the heads of stupid looters trying to creep up on the shelter.

DefJam101

Arcane
Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
Krancor said:
aron searle said:
You're bunker doesnt sound very defendable.

I can't help but think you're defenses would amount to anything more than "hey lookee here i have lots of stuff worth stealing", 1 man or a small group is not going to be able to defend itself against a determined force even with the defenses you describe, and hey if we are talking doomsday scenarios, thats gonna happen.

... and all of my planning hinges on any attacker being no brighter than this dude. This is approximately what I expect. I reckon people like this would not get beyond perimeter one. Since there are six rings of defense possible around the shelter, this is the kind of guy I would just expect to find dead on the perimeter while I am out trimming the hedges. My strategy assumes a native intelligence equivalent to this rocket scientist.

As you approach my property from about 200 meters out, you'll want to seek the natural cover afforded by features in the terrain, little dips and shallow pits where you can peer over the crest and observe my shelter for a while before advancing. You'll want to do that because this is where my motion detectors are planted and it is also where my claymores are pointed inside of, actually from behind you, to make sure no shrapnel escapes these hollow depressions without passing through you first.

Maybe you're too clever for that and instead will choose a slow creep up the ravine. This is great because it is lined with CCD cameras and at the mouth of the ravine is a small concrete cylinder poking out of the ravine wall. You'll be relieved to know that we don't intend to shoot anybody from this observation point, though. It's just a remote perch where we can watch the homemade napalm cannon flood the ravine with sticky flaming fuel out to about 100 meters without any hope of cover. It's basically like being inside the mouth of a blowtorch. Later, we will dispose of your charred carcass by simply chucking it over the ravine wall on the other side. Please, consider our convenience when you breach the perimeter. A frontal assault is the best way to go. Your odds are better if you just strip naked and run screaming towards the hill, you will probably get a higher score in terms of distance before death from the hatch.

One of the greatest features of my mountain is that is it always chockablock with dead wood, so should we come under attack by a force of more than 100 people (unlikely this millennium, but still) we simply light up the entire mountain and seal the blast valve. Within a half an hour, temperatures outside climbing to 600 degrees in the resulting uncontrolled firestorm will pretty much clear the entire plain out to 4 kilometers, with the only hope of survival to immediately evacuate the area ahead of the fire.

Did I mention my tritium markers for night defense? They are placed in a clocklike circle allowing us to concentrate fire on a map oriented correctly even in perfect darkness to hit people who are hiding exactly in front of the locations where the tritium markers are mounted.

If you light the mountain on fire, then unless you have done a lot more insulating than mere concrete, you'll cook.

All someone needs is a sniper rifle to train on your entrance, and you're toast, no matter what you do, if you ever plan on coming out. 200 yards of defenses is not much. At 200 yards virtually anyone with a scoped rifle can take you out, and you won't even know they are out there til you walk out for some fresh air and get some right in your brain. For someone who's a good shot, they would not even need a scope for that. If someone had a genuine sniper rifle they could take you out at 1000 yards easily.

If anything, your defenses sound dangerous and prone to failing in a way that kills you spectacularly. Your best defense is secrecy, and I am pretty sure that surrounding a hill with tank traps and barbed wire eliminates any chance you had of that. Even a remote shack is unlikely to be investigated by anyone, let alone a hole in the ground, but if someone sees a big fuck off fort on a hill that's fortified they'll immediately know that you have stores and weapons worth stealing.

Also, don't you worry that you will char someone to death who had no idea you were even there in the first place? If the situation you describe happens, there's a good chance that at some point people wil be searching for survivors or supplies who are not murderers. If they weren't planning to kill you then, you can bet after you char their buddy to death they will plan on it, and since you are in a single location then they are most likely going to eventually succeed.

Wow, that almost sounds like commando style reasoning. You must be some kind of commando. Either that, or you have watched the director's cut of MISSING IN ACTION I, II and III like fifty times. Then again, you might be some goofball on an RPG site who couldn't organize an assault on McDonald's unless it was to steal some ketchup packets off the condiment tray.

So, what exactly is your response again? If this is it, then, well.. you kinda lost.

DefJam101

Arcane
First of all, this post is

GAY

711px-Mr-Brains-Faggots-Pack.jpg

.. but I will respond to it.

Krancor said:

Krancor said:

Isn't the advantage on our side, since we have fortified, heavily defended firing points behind 9 inches of rebar reinforced concrete? In your scenario, do we have guns with scopes or just super-soakers? I don't know.
Do you have any military experience or are you a typical 'kwan trying to play at soldier man? Ask anybody with real experience, they will tell you they would not dream of attacking such a position without artillery or air support. It would be suicide.
Krancor said:

It's peacetime now and our home blends into the terrain so curiously that sometimes from the street you cannot even guess there is a home there. Once I get the thorny brambles to crawl up my sealed fence, the entire property is essentially in cloaked mode forever.

Anybody bright enough to investigate will also be bright enough to stay away once they peer over the fence and realize what they are looking at. Life isn't like a 'kwan movie at all. Hungry people will move along and if they don't they just found an easy way to self-terminate.

I like the part where these people getting by on 600 calories a day organize their super commando raids and they charge fortified positions and spend hours cutting through barbed wire nests and anti-personnel devices. That'll happen.
Krancor said:

Anybody who get into the ravine already crawled over a fence and passed two signs with skull and crossbones.

Nobody will succeed at anything, they will just be a huge Monty Pythonesque pile at the bottom of a cliff.

Once I get realtime video blending with green screen masking, I will be able to design a fun and educational video game around killing looters for shelter inhabitants. It will involve RTS strategy elements. Maybe I can even do some isometric processing of the pixel frames from the CCD cameras to make it look like a Fallout MMORG. I can have floating to-hit percentages over the heads of stupid looters trying to creep up on the shelter.

Oh, this is your response.

Funny, you still haven't really said anything either than "No." And yes, you do have to answer; you haven't given any reason why he is incorrect.

Krancor

Scholar
Well, being a former PFC gives him the right to speak authoritatively on all matters military, so now I feel ashamed. Heh.

9 inches of concrete won't save you from cooking, cleve. You would have to take pretty extreme measures to keep yourself safe from prolonged high heat or you will cook like the people in every city that's ever been firebombed. 600 degrees is also probably wrong. Probably more like 1200 and you'd cook through ten feet of concrete.

And like I said, no one needs to approach your bunker to shoot you. You can't scan every angle of your bunker every second of the day, and you are not going to be able to see someone in the desert who's not moving even if the terrain is perfectly clear.

Sorry cleve, but like usual you have not been able to refute any actual logic I've presented.

Krancor

Scholar
Also, make up your mind. Is your bunker secret or is it surrounded by tank traps, barbed wire, and fences with skulls?

DefJam101

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
Funny, you still haven't really said anything either than "No." And yes, you do have to answer; you haven't given any reason why he is incorrect.

Repeated massive complete requotes of the entire text. That's where the live wire excitement is coming from on this thread.

Should I leave your posts empty then? It's not like you tend to say that much, anyways.

Not everyone is intimidated by someone with a nice vocabulary. I don't care how many words you can pack into a forum post, if it's just 1-2 basic points (which are almost always flawed) knee-deep in insults, fallacy, and ego-rants, then it makes you look like a dumbfuck. You look like just as much of a dumbfuck as these "Lol Cleve sucks" people, except unlike them, you seem to care about looking good.

Anyways, I'm out of here. I've been wasting too much time on this guy, even if I've just been highlighting his bullshit... That in itself is sad.

Good luck with him Krancor.

(Good luck finishing the game, BTW; it does actually look fairly good. Loved your old C64 stuff.)

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Yeah, Cleve's rants have about jumped the shark. I'd love to see him stick around and start a legit, no personal beliefs thread about Grimiore though.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Krancor said:
Well, being a former PFC gives him the right to speak authoritatively on all matters military, so now I feel ashamed. Heh.

9 inches of concrete won't save you from cooking, cleve. You would have to take pretty extreme measures to keep yourself safe from prolonged high heat or you will cook like the people in every city that's ever been firebombed. 600 degrees is also probably wrong. Probably more like 1200 and you'd cook through ten feet of concrete.

And like I said, no one needs to approach your bunker to shoot you. You can't scan every angle of your bunker every second of the day, and you are not going to be able to see someone in the desert who's not moving even if the terrain is perfectly clear.

Sorry cleve, but like usual you have not been able to refute any actual logic I've presented.

I'm sorry, I think you may be a little slow on the uptake. Have you seen the photos of my shelter? It is 18 feet underground surrounded by solid granite on all four sides, with 180 tons of crushed granite backfill topped by three feet of soil. You're sort of a sh*thouse lawyer but am not sure you even have any idea of what you're talking about. I don't even think you've got enough brains to know what you don't know.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... ted=752399

Any heat convection has to go through the concrete hatch, 12 feet down the turret, then turn a right angle and go 10 more feet through a steel insulated lid.

This specific design is mentioned in the working papers of Cresson Kearny released by Oak Ridge Labs under the Freedom of Information act as a shelter design that could survive even in an intense firestorm according to years of research done by them in live conditions. Survival of course depends on the ability to close one's flue and lock the pressure valve to create a perfect airtight seal inside. If you look at the design of my shelter flue control on my web site, you will see it is negative retraction designed, which means it is pulled airtight shut by default until the control wire pulls the door open. The suspended outer bell that you see is first and foremost for preventing any heat convection to the shelter flue in addition to requiring air to be drawn in against gravity to do the first filtration for fallout particles.

miniIMG_1611.JPG

Every single element in the shelter is miraculous, uncannily shrewd design like this flue door.

Like I said, it sounds like you don't even know what my shelter is or how it is implemented. At a traditional rate of heat transfer it would take a firestorm aboveground six months to heat the ground around the shelter, which would require more raw combustible fuel than exists on the earth.

In your scenario, is my shelter teleported by aliens to the surface of the sun?

I can't speak to you any more. I've been patient but you are really slow witted.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Krancor said:
Also, make up your mind. Is your bunker secret or is it surrounded by tank traps, barbed wire, and fences with skulls?

You don't know, do you?

You better hope you never find out, either. I'd like to see your super commando a** practice some of your super commando tactics around me with your super commando moves using your super commando powers. Unfortunately life isn't like DELTA FORCE and you would end up just another meathook disposal for the ravine ... when we got around to it.

Did your super commando contacts within the super commando forces you are in secret contact with tell you that there is no such thing as super commandos and that it is easier to defend than it is to attack and that any attacker must be prepared to suffer casualties? In the instance of my shelter, we're talking about at least a 1000 dead in a single hour to make it to the shelter door. Then it gets really ugly, you should see my contingency plan there.

I think you live with your parents and have never kissed a girl. Your super commando tactics is all inside the fantasy camp called your brain. Nobody in real life attacks a fortified location unless they are suicidal or they have air support.

DefJam101

Arcane
Jasede said:
Say what you want, these are amazing photos.

You guys do realize that he can say whatever the fuck he wants about his shelter, right?It took him so long to respond to Krancor because he needed to find a way to get out of the hole he dug himself in (no pun intended).

People are so intimidated by big words that they don't even notice how idiotic and impractical his defense plans sound. Claiming that everyone else is a "Delta Force Amerikwan" then bragging about how impenetrable his stealth fortress of death is with rotating sentry guns and proximity alarms that immediately flood canyons with napalm. I never thought I would meet an intelligent person that I did not like, but this takes the cake.

Good luck with him, Jasede? :?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I try to learn from intelligent people, but it's hard when they go "hurr everyone is inferior (but Nietszche, Nietzsche was cool before he got progressive paralysis from syphilis)".

I just find it very impressive to meet someone who has programmed unbelievably well back for the C64, who built his own huge shelter (and it's real, trust me) and reads 20-30 books a week. That's more than Nicolai, and Nicolai reads two hours every damn day.

But maybe it's true and you can't learn from everyone. At the very least I learned how to sound like an arrogant dick and now know better how not to sound like one.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Jasede said:
Intelligence is nice, but without wisdom and charisma, few profit from it.

... the human brain is designed to profit from it. There you have it. It is a survival mechanism.

It's never supposed to go crazy and climb up into astronomical heights of 183 and turn into some laser razor that cuts away all your illusions and dispels all your foolish vanity. That's brain overclocking gone mad.

In the beginning it was a neat tool for some chimps to make better tools to bash in the skulls of other chimps with. Then it became a social engineering mechanism to talk women into bed and be a better liar by first convincing yourself of your own baloney so you could be a better schmoozer with others. It was never really supposed to be a working brain, the kind that could actually start to perceive reality as the thing-in-itself. That's neural modifications gone bananas. There you have Asperger's. For the first time in evolutionary history, the human brain actually starts to run half-ass well enough to work independently.

That's why it has to be stopped and I am supporting Senator Kelly's new legislation for humane therapy to cure mutant genes and turn all X-men back into normals. It's about time we recognized this thing for what it is - a pathology with a cure and treatment.

DefJam101

Arcane
I have no doubt the shelter is real; his defense of the shelter & the surrounding area, is.. well.... :roll:

Maybe if he makes a decent RPG he can accomplish something, at least. Give me a second to find a quote:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
DefJam101 said:
People are so intimidated by big words that they don't even notice how idiotic and impractical his defense plans sound. Claiming that everyone else is a "Delta Force Amerikwan" then bragging about how impenetrable his stealth fortress of death is with rotating sentry guns and proximity alarms that immediately flood canyons with napalm. I never thought I would meet an intelligent person that I did not like, but this takes the cake.

I never said I had rotating sentry guns.

Yet.

DefJam101

Arcane
Well, I couldn't find the quote about him restricting the IQ levels of people who buy his game, it's buried under 26 pages of shit. Needless to say, he just doesn't understand anything beyond numbers and books. Every intelligent person knows that if you want smart people to play your game you simply make it so "not smart" people can't understand it, and won't like it. It's the same reason why only 5-10% of the US reads books (good books, at least).

Anyways, I think the above 2 posts make it clear enough what his goals are in this thread. He can just say whatever the fuck he wants about his fortress of death. So yeah, have fun Jasede.

dagorkan

Arbiter
What I would do is dig a tunnel under your bunker, starting from far enough away that it's out of your sight. Not that I would have any desire to attack you or get into your stronghold but if for some reason people were looking for a weak point that's where they should start, obviously it would take a lot of work and discipline so it's not for the average hungry scavenger. You have to be prepared to take a year to dig through to get the 50+ years worth of stores and electronic devices Cleve has you only assume are there.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
dagorkan said:
What I would do is dig a tunnel under your bunker, starting from far enough away that it's out of your sight. Not that I would have any desire to attack you or get into your stronghold but if for some reason people were looking for a weak point that's where they should start, obviously it would take a lot of work and discipline so it's not for the average hungry scavenger. You have to be prepared to take a year to dig through to get the 50+ years worth of stores and electronic devices Cleve has you only assume are there.

8 inches beneath my soil is granite going down 18 miles.

You'd be digging a while. Now you know why I bought this particular piece of land.

I can't wait to see you dig through a mile of underground granite with a serving spoon on 800 calories a day.

Again, to beat everybody's high score, just strip naked and run straight at the mound as fast as you can. That will be as close as you get.

Araanor

Liturgist
Someone should make Cleve's bunker a location in a Fallout game.

It was never really supposed to be a working brain, the kind that could actually start to perceive reality as the thing-in-itself. That's neural modifications gone bananas. There you have Asperger's. For the first time in evolutionary history, the human brain actually starts to run half-ass well enough to work independently.
So you're saying 183 isn't enough, you have to have (super) Asperger's too?

By the way, what do you think of the Vingean Singularity?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom