Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Code Vein - new action RPG from God Eater devs at Bandai Namco

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I watched a bit of gameplay (dude was in totally not anor londo) and the guy was playing without his companion, seemed pretty mediocre at the game (was missing dodges and parries pretty often) but had a spell that just one shot some enemies from a distance and otherwise combat seemed kinda on par with dark souls (2 backstabs or attack combos to put an enemy down.)

My main concern was while watching him he kept doing some lengthy attack where it zoomed in and a mask grew over his face. Is that annoying shit required or is it viable to play without using it very much?

Mojobeard

Augur
My main concern was while watching him he kept doing some lengthy attack where it zoomed in and a mask grew over his face. Is that annoying shit required or is it viable to play without using it very much?
Those are the backstab (and riposte?) animations from the blood veils. You can turn them off.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Combat I think is a step up, later enemies and bosses have longer combos that they'll mix up depending on their position relative to you.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Yeah, i don't understand japanese. They can make cool character creator but never implement creation of both your main character and your waifu at the same time.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Just finished the game, definitely a solid 8/10. You'll probably be finished the main game in 25-30 hours, though there is a real lack of bonus content. Lot of the mid-late game bosses are really cool, but the final boss is a letdown in my opinion.

Puukko

Arcane
What's the postgame, is there anything besides the chalice dungeons?

I'm sure there will be DLC at least.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Does the game actually have level scaling? I burned a bunch of souls (whatever the stuff is to level up) on levels and got to 30. Should I avoid levelling up more or can I safely dump points into it?

Mojobeard

Augur
Bosses are really the only big complaint I have so far. There's at least a couple melee bosses that just have a two-hit combo, some kind of charge/jump maneuver, and that's it. On the other hand magic bosses telegraphs are ridiculously fast, or some particle effect where you can't tell what the fuck is going on, that even "it's doing something, get away" might not save you.
If this is the polished version from that extra year of development, I'm sure glad we're not playing that original version.
Brute forcing by just chugging Estus Regeneration, reapplying buffs, and bullying the boss with heavy weapons seems to be a viable strategy. There's only one boss I haven't beaten in a single try, but it's not from me being so good at the game or something, and it's not very satisfying.

Does the game actually have level scaling? I burned a bunch of souls (whatever the stuff is to level up) on levels and got to 30. Should I avoid levelling up more or can I safely dump points into it?
There's no scaling, just keep leveling. I know it feels weird to get 3-4 levels every time you rest, but that does seem to be intentional. Be sure to buy any interesting skills (there aren't that many) and upgrade your weapons first though.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So I'm 3 bosses in, been playing without the companion, heres my thoughts:

Exploration feels good. Areas have multiple routes through them and the rewards you get from exploring are things like new spells/passives and classes, not just weapons. Boss order has been totally linear so far, doesn't seem like that will change. Not much in the way of secrets though, everything is fairly obvious, the trickiest things so far have been jumping off ledges onto ground in plain sight.
Boss fights have been ok. They do the enrage at half hp thing, but the second form often bears no resemblance to the first, which makes it pretty trial and error learning new tells and shit. You definitely can't face tank this shit solo, you'll lose like 2-3 flask charges worth of health for getting hit once and the boss can tank like 20 full combos from you.
Not all skills are created equal. One buff in particular is really insanely good for boss fights, you'll know it when you see it if you're not braindead. Others are basically worthless. I just got one that spends a good chunk of mp to slowly make a trap, which does like 1 light swing worth of damage to one target and doesn't quite poison it. WTF game.
The 'invasion' things where you get swarmed by enemies are definitely not balanced for solo, and are a real challenge to get through. Actually had to give up on one at this point because I just can't handle 30 guys in groups of 4 that are all hyper aggressive and can't be stunlocked or quickly finished off, spamming all sorts of attacks.
The backstab/parry/charge attack shit takes way too long to execute. It's actually fairly balanced though, aside from the ground impale one being OP as fuck, because they cost a fuckton of stamina to use, unlike backstabs in most games. You can also basically ignore them if you want because normal melee refills your magic juice too, it just doesn't expand the cap like the other shit does.
You can stack an ungodly amount of buffs at once. They're usually pretty worthwhile if you know you're fighting a big mob or something nasty.
Enemy variety has been decent so far.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The Souls formula has really bloomed in the hands of other developers, while it's stagnated in the hands of From. The best Souls games of the last few years have all been games not made by From.
The Souls formula is overused.

Puukko

Arcane
Halfway through Anor Londo. A lot of people complain about this place but I don't think it's all that bad so far. Lots of new enemies, plenty of resources and I'm finally getting competent at the game.

I'm also interested to see where the story goes, I just started a flashback part. I like how these character bits are tied to skills via vestiges, so you have a vested interest in both rather than them being separate elements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom