Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Codex GOTY 2015 - Results

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Love how Twitcher is better received by oldfags than by newfags. Dat popamole doe :salute:
It's because newfags are trying to be edgy and want to fit in, while a bunch of oldfags learned from all those "what is an rpg" discussions that the type of combat system doesn't diminish the rpg-ness of a game. Good C&C is king, and the Witcher delivers.

Also what Infinitron said.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I regard W3 as an interactive movie. I've got around 70 hours put into it, if it was an RPG I would have noticed. Hence I didn't vote for it at all.

Twitcher I understand, but WL2? C'mon. And on that account, DOS: EE has similar number of voters as well, with both being remastered titles.
AoD and Underrail also seem to share the same number of voters.
But PoE just stomped over all of them in terms of numbers.

"c'mon" what? men you've seriously got no idea how hyped and discussed poe was compared to any of these other games on this forum, it was way more anticipated than anything else. there was a 1300 page thread before the beta even came out, then another 450 pages before release. and then it had 20 codex reviews. wl2 in comparision had 270 pages pre-beta and another 290 pre-release. does this give you a little perspective?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
AwesomeButton
Every computer game can be described as an interactive movie if you try hard enough. I could even say this:

I regard Fallout 1 as a point and click adventure. If it was an RPG I would have noticed.
Anyone can ignore parts of a game all they want and regard it as whatever, that doesn't make them right. Right now it just tells us you don't know what an RPG is. +M

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
You could just pick the lowest score out of BA and normal average for every game. That way games that only have one "5" vote will still be adjusted down, but games that only have "1"s would land at the bottom of the list.

I been starting into the excel file for half an hour.

Fuck it, I'm just going to admit I'm a retard. Can somebody explain to me how to do that?

It's actually very easy - you just sort by the Bayesian average and then copy/paste the average ratings into the Bayesian average column for all the games with a BA below 3,52. It's not particularly "fair", but it's an easy fix to make sure that the Bayesian average will never prop up a game that has bad ratings just because it has few votes. It's more reliable for finding the "best" games, but less reliable for finding the worst games.

The new ranking looks like this for the top 30:

TmdkZsf.png

If you then remove every game with 5 votes or less, it looks like this:

XMqTJuR.png

The most notable effect is that removing all the barely-played games clustered around 3,4X pushes PoE way, way up.

Modron

Arcane
oldfags are 2007 and before, not 2009. theres a ton of retard from 2008 and 2009. why the arbitrary distinction? 2007 has been set in stone as the year the oldfags died for years now.

Eh I don't think 2007 is a good line of demarcation between old and newfag because there were far too many retards joining the site in 2006 as there was a bit of an invasion by bethestards in the months leading up to and after the release of Oblivion. Granted most of those them didn't stick around but a size-able amount had to stick around what with a general positive shift in opinion on Morrowind that has persisted.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Agreed, 2006 is too late. April 19th 2005 should be the cutoff point for newfagginess.

Anac'raxus

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AwesomeButton
Every computer game can be described as an interactive movie if you try hard enough. I could even say this:

I regard Fallout 1 as a point and click adventure. If it was an RPG I would have noticed.
Anyone can ignore parts of a game all they want and regard it as whatever, that doesn't make them right. Right now it just tells us you don't know what an RPG is. +M

Heavy Rain is now an RPG, you heard it here first!

ST'Ranger

Augur
This old vs. new poster discussion is interesting. The presence of Skyway is a curious demarcation for me since I first started heavily reading Codex around the time he was present in every thread. If I'm recalling right that was before there were any hidden/gated forums so the full glory of everything was available to the novitiate. Those were simpler times.

I'm glad to see that Underrail and AoD are both at the top - even when one plays with the data. Both games absolutely deserve to be at the top and are in a league of their own when compared with the rest. Good on you, Codex brethren.

Being an unapologetic combatfag, Underrail scratched my itch a bit more, but I would have been pleased to see either in first place. They're both within an incredibly small range of each other either way so it's really a bit more like a tie than a clear top spot.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
AwesomeButton

And you do?
:nocountryforshitposters:

Every computer game can be described as an interactive movie if you try hard enough.
Also, that's untrue. A game usually has rules and mechanics with more than cosmetic effect. The fact you get immersed in a story doesn't make this story a Role-playing game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anybody kind enough to inform us newfags about this "Skyway" piece of Codex Lore?

Skyway AKA Metalkraze was a Ukrainian poster who was notorious for being very ANGRY about games, yet with a secret popamole side (big KOTOR1 fan, obsessed with graphics, etc). He left the forum and mellowed out after Maidan and everything that followed, but can still be found on Steam.

Tbh his edginess would be less remarkable nowadays when half the posters on the forum seem to be buttmad about this or that Kickstarter game. I guess you could say he was angry at a time when it didn't seem like there was much of anything that was worth getting very angry about.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Ismaul said:
Every computer game can be described as an interactive movie if you try hard enough.
Also, that's untrue. A game usually has rules and mechanics with more than cosmetic effect. The fact you get immersed in a story doesn't make this story a Role-playing game.
Let me get this straight. First you say that The Witcher 3 is an interactive movie. Then you say that not all games can be described as interactive movies, since they have rules and mechanics.

Yet the Witcher 3 has rules and mechanics with more than a cosmetic effet. Therefore, by you own criterion, the Witcher is not an interactive movie.

Logic, man...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The key part is slow. Combat in Underrail is pretty quick because enemies have a lot less HP. Fighting a bunch of rats takes no time at all. In AoD almost every combat encounters takes a lot of time (especially if you don't speed-up animations using commands) which combined with single-character combat makes is a love-hate kind of thing.
lol
EVERYTHING is super slow in Underrail. Only after recent big patch you have the option to increase combat speed without using the cheatengine but you're still walking at a turtle pace - AoD doesn't waste your time like that. It also doesn't waste your time by forcing you to fight trashmobs (which often respawn at that). And fighting rats takes a lot of time at first and later even though you can one shot them the sheer number of them makes it a tedious task (hence cheatengine and sneaking are essential to enjoy this game). Eyestabber has shown AoD's superiority by making this video and doing something superb (i.e. did a full ironman playthrough with ALL optional, hardest fights when many players can't even get through the easiest ones):

Show me something similar with Underrail and then we can talk. In addition The Arena in UR is also super slow compared to AoD and wastes your time on childish intros/announcements.

Goral
This is hogwash based on a bunch of retards. I could make all these votes in my spare time if I wanted to. I checked the data. AoD fanboys (people who gave it 5) gave UR 3,7 rating, while UR fansboys gave AoD 4,2 average rating. It's obvious that it's the AoD fans who are blinded with hate.
That's because AoD is objectively better than UR, i.e. Fallout 1 in sewers with MMO elements. There is a reason why AoD is first in every poll:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/goty-2015.107073/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/goty-2015-monocle-edition.106917/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...s-quick-and-brutal-2015-rpgoty-survey.105982/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...oty-roleplaying-game-game-of-the-year.106067/

In polls like these UR fanboys were downvoting AoD to skew the results and they've succeeded. If all the 1s were changed to 2s for both UR and AoD, AoD would have won (none of these games deserve a 1 unless you're not into RPGs but then why would you be here?).
Wanna know which GOTY the Codex as a whole liked more? Sort by the "% enjoyed tab".
  1. Age of Decadence - 51%
  2. Underrail - 48%
  3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 38%
  4. Pillars of Eternity - 35%
  5. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - 23%
This shows the % of overall voters who thought the game was good or great (4 or 5). It's a funny ranking because PoE is at once the 4th most enjoyed, the 2nd most hated game and by far the most played.

The spreadsheet has data on what 742 codexers think about +100 games, it would be a shame to just look at the Top 3 in one rating.

sorry mate but what's done is done. the poll is complete, the results are in. it's been proven that UR is a better game than AoD, and that's a stone cold fact that you just can't challenge.

frankly all your carrying on is quite childish.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I gotta say, particularly compared to lasts years award, there seems to be much less love put into this years GOTYs. No cool banner, no cool award banners, no write ups, no golden turd, no most anticipated, no editor's choice (no sticky). Makes them feel way less prestigious. A bit dissappointing to be honest.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
BTW, now that we also have the usernames, post number and reg date, we can check how various demographics voted.

For example, this is the overall Top 10 old fag result, accounting only voters from 2009 & earlier (194 in total):
  1. Age of Decadence 4,03
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 3,98
  3. Underrail 3,98
  4. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editon 3,75
  5. Invisible, Inc. 3,75
  6. Conquest of Elysium 4 3,67
  7. Chaos Reborn 3,66
  8. Shadowrun: Hong Kong 3,60
  9. Serpent in the Staglands 3,59
  10. Wasteland 2: Director's Cut 3,57
Here's the same data, but with only post-2009 new fags (548 in total):
  1. Underrail 4,18
  2. Age of Decadence 4,15
  3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 3,93
  4. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editon 3,81
  5. Invisible, Inc. 3,73
  6. Voidspire Tactics 3,64
  7. Conquest of Elysium 4 3,62
  8. Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim 3,55
  9. Serpent in the Staglands 3,53
  10. Swords and Sorcery - Underworld - Definitive Edition 3,50
Now you know why Underrail won.
fecking newfags

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom