Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex = malware

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
OK, one of the advertising providers was apparently flagged as bad by Google, but they seem to have removed the offending ad since then. I've put in a request to Google to remove the notices, but I've got no idea how long that'll take.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Well, it's sorcerers.net that is reported as malware site, so it's probably shit flash/javascript ads again.

All remote ads have been served via javascript everywhere for the last 15+ years. And sorcerers.net is only thrown in the picture here because it's also been flagged by Google because we use the same ad provider there. The only thing included on Codex from sorcerers.net is a few common images. The ad code has been served on the Codex directly for some time. So this is just a lot of a headache over one problematic ad.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Happened to me yesterday and today with a couple of wikia sites as well.

Moribund

A droglike
So it WAS you idiots who gave me the virus, which wouldn't go away untl I reinstalled windows. I suspected, since I hadn't gone to any other site in days, but didn't see how it could happen.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Jesus Christ is it really necessary to have to click the fucking "proceed at your own risk" message four fucking times just to get through for every god-damn page?

Of the 242 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 7 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-12-31, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-12-31.
Malicious software includes 1 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 11 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including zso-wirtualnie.pl/.

2 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including wakingmoonmedia.com/, adexcite.com/.

This site was hosted on 4 network(s) including AS19066 (WIREDTREE), AS13335 (CLOUDFLARENET), AS21844 (THEPLANET).​

Fucking poles.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
you could play ignorant and let it spread ^^
not that anyone has ever done any such thing of course..mere sophistry here

EG

Nullified
Did I get that little blackhole javascript exploit from you guys yesterday then? :lol:

No idea what page triggered it.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Jesus Christ is it really necessary to have to click the fucking "proceed at your own risk" message four fucking times just to get through for every god-damn page?

Of the 242 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 7 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-12-31, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-12-31.​
Malicious software includes 1 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 11 new process(es) on the target machine.​
Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including zso-wirtualnie.pl/.​
2 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including wakingmoonmedia.com/, adexcite.com/.​
This site was hosted on 4 network(s) including AS19066 (WIREDTREE), AS13335 (CLOUDFLARENET), AS21844 (THEPLANET).​

Fucking poles.

All I can tell you is that one day somebody will find those people and they'll greet them in Lithuanian. The people making web ads in potatoland are the biggest cunts on the planet, I think they invented the "cover the whole screen with a flash until you find the fucking X button" ads.

ColCol

Arcane
Become a malicious attack site seems the must logical evolution for the codex.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is obviously caused by Prosper's "Synonym Downloader" code which he posted on the Codex at 10:45 AM--well before the first reports of Google's blockade, and the timeframe gives Google ample time to detect this malicious code.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/open-source-synonym-downloader.79315/

After some detective work, I discovered that "Synonym Downloader" is an anagram for "a demo on wynn sly rod". A demo on Wynnslyrod? The intent is obviously as nefarious as it is enigmatic.

The only thing we can be certain of is that Google is not the villain here, it is merely taking the proper steps to save the internet by segregating the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom