Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex = malware

Repressed Homosexual
It's impossible to talk to a real person with Google unless you're famous, and they're getting more control every day. It will be dismantled one day just like AT&T was.

EG

Nullified
Damn and I made a new mascot for the 'dex and everything...

ALPPO.png

Fuck! Bad memories are flooding back. Back in the days when I shared a computer with my parents my mom installed that little prick.

I don't remember what he represented it, but I remember it being bad.

So terribly bad.

He was a search engine mascot, right?

It's not a false positive when you gave me a virus you fucking dimwit. You can't just serve up unmoderated content from any stranger who gives you 10 cents then whine that your site is blacklisted "unfairly", you're responsible for what you host. Jesus you are fucking incompetent. It will be 6 months before I have all my apps reinstalled properly because of you.

That there javascript exploit, too?

Micmu

Magister
*sigh*

Now the idiots at Google have flagged one of the game trainers on SP as malicious. I've already sent in two explanations on how they aren't and that virus scanners routinely report false positives with game trainers, but it looks like I'll actually have to take the file down (a file that's been up for 7 years with no issues) simply because there's no appealing what some moron at Google flags as harmful. There's no contact mail, feedback sent in with the form is ignored, nothing else I can do.

Just in case someone thought that Google doesn't own everything.
Try compressing hosted files with something like 7z and use a password. That should prevent automatic scan.
...but I wouldn't be surprised if fuckle one day decides to treat encrypted archives as malicious by default :>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's not a false positive when you gave me a virus you fucking dimwit. You can't just serve up unmoderated content from any stranger who gives you 10 cents then whine that your site is blacklisted "unfairly", you're responsible for what you host. Jesus you are fucking incompetent. It will be 6 months before I have all my apps reinstalled properly because of you.
:hmmm:

Taluntain should get more of these ads.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

ALPPO.png

Fuck! Bad memories are flooding back. Back in the days when I shared a computer with my parents my mom installed that little prick.

So terribly bad.

Okay, you remember those mascots that would pop-up in Windows XP and give you advice? Like the dog in the search menu and the paper clip in Office? This was essentially something you download for Windows that would be like them...FOR THE ENTIRE OS. It was supposed to help idiots use the internet easier and would also tell jokes and shit like that. Parents would often download it because it looked cute.

And of course, it's spyware.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member

Since you're obviously clueless that I'm talking about my own website where there actually WAS a false positive and not RPG Codex I'll spell it out for you. Now you can try reading my post again.

And *I* didn't give you any virus and unless you've actually got some proof that you got it from here and not one of over 20.000 other websites using the same advertising provider, please save your posts for Retardo. Feel free to sue AdExcite for "GIVING YOU A VIRUS!!!" though.

Oh, did I mention that ads from AdExcite only load for unregistered members? You look registered to me. Nobody logged in ever came into any contact with those ads.

EG

Nullified

ALPPO.png

So terribly bad.

Okay, you remember those mascots that would pop-up in Windows XP and give you advice? Like the dog in the search menu and the paper clip in Office? This was essentially something you download for Windows that would be like them...FOR THE ENTIRE OS. It was supposed to help idiots use the internet easier and would also tell jokes and shit like that. Parents would often download it because it looked cute.

And of course, it's spyware.
Bonzai Buddy!

D'aw, I remember you.

EG

Nullified

Since you're obviously clueless that I'm talking about my own website where there actually WAS a false positive and not RPG Codex I'll spell it out for you. Now you can try reading my post again.

And *I* didn't give you any virus and unless you've actually got some proof that you got it from here and not one of over 20.000 other websites using the same advertising provider, please save your posts for Retardo. Feel free to sue AdExcite for "GIVING YOU A VIRUS!!!" though.

Oh, did I mention that ads from AdExcite only load for unregistered members? You look registered to me. Nobody logged in ever came into any contact with those ads.

I keep telling you, Tali, people aren't logged in for eternity -- though sometimes it feels that way. ;)

Alex

Arcane
*sigh*

Now the idiots at Google have flagged one of the game trainers on SP as malicious. I've already sent in two explanations on how they aren't and that virus scanners routinely report false positives with game trainers, but it looks like I'll actually have to take the file down (a file that's been up for 7 years with no issues) simply because there's no appealing what some moron at Google flags as harmful. There's no contact mail, feedback sent in with the form is ignored, nothing else I can do.

Just in case someone thought that Google doesn't own everything.

Just ignore google?

Glyphwright

I was certain that Google had gained self-awareness and classified the Codex as malware after comprehending the stupidity and moral decrepitude of its members.

Turjan

Arcane
The site logs me out every few days, so that line of thought is not really very convincing.

Also, the "attack site" warning is still there.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Yeah, I'm still getting the attack site warning several times a day. Firefox.

DraQ

Arcane
I'm running with all the scripting killed, and, obviously, all ads blocked.

I wish Taluntain and DU all the gold-plated toilets they can possibly get, but the latter is unlikely to ever change given recent malware'y developments and intrusiveness of ads themselves.

As for the trainer being mistaken for malware, I call bullshit.
Yes, many trainers use malware'y methods to access the game as it's running, but I wouldn't expect any of them to give false positive because they don't install from browser's level.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
The site logs me out every few days, so that line of thought is not really very convincing.

Normally, the "site" doesn't log you out, ever (or at least not more than once every 365) days. If you're blocking cookies, javascript or messing with any other functions that prevent the normal operation of the forums, however, that sort of thing is to be expected.

And yes, there's a bug in Firefox 17 that the code monkeys at Mozzila just don't feel like fixing, so the warning won't go away until you upgrade to Firefox 18. After all, it's only affecting thousands of websites for a month now so clearly not a priority.

I'm running with all the scripting killed, and, obviously, all ads blocked.

I wish Taluntain and DU all the gold-plated toilets they can possibly get, but the latter is unlikely to ever change given recent malware'y developments and intrusiveness of ads themselves.

As for the trainer being mistaken for malware, I call bullshit.
Yes, many trainers use malware'y methods to access the game as it's running, but I wouldn't expect any of them to give false positive because they don't install from browser's level.

What you would expect and what is actually the case are sadly two very different things.

Turjan

Arcane

Normally, the "site" doesn't log you out, ever (or at least not more than once every 365) days. If you're blocking cookies, javascript or messing with any other functions that prevent the normal operation of the forums, however, that sort of thing is to be expected.
All I know is that the "logging off" thing is something specific to rpgcodex.net. I have other forums that I visit where I am logged off once or twice a year (I can't tell for sure, it's so rare), but here it's several times a week. Like today. I normally don't perceive this as a problem (it's not several times a day anymore, like before the forum software change), but I had to laugh at your "registered users never see this" comment.

Edit: Btw, I hope this is just some new fad:

OwLFt.jpg

AEXxH.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom