Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Opinions on Half Life 2?

Codex - What Do Ya Think of Half Life 2?

• WOW! Graphics, fun, new experiences - Fantastic!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Sure, it's fun

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I got tired of seeing saw blades on kitchen tables, are you kidding me?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not just saw blades, friggin' everything was a turd

• Dumb poll, I don't play action games

• Total voters

Winter Ale

Novice
This is a question about folks on the codex just a hair more than an attempt to start a flame war.

But really, this game comes up again and again on people's top x games of all times lists (example: IGN / Top 25 Modern games http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1011624p1.html).

So, I'm curious - what do a bunch of fellow RPG focused folks think?

heuheuhueh

Novice
It has an excellent story, a well crafted environment, and a physics engine for fucks sake.

The only thing that annoyed me was doing the "teeter totter" puzzle over and over again.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There was a fairly large thread about this a couple of months ago -- the general consensus was that it was an okay FPS but vastly overrated by the mainstream gaming media/player base.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
heuheuhueh said:
It has an excellent story, a well crafted environment, and a physics engine for fucks sake.

The only thing that annoyed me was doing the "teeter totter" puzzle over and over again.

Welcome, 2011 newfag.

heuheuhueh

Novice
I take it you consider yourself to be an oldfag?

Whoop de fucking doo. You've been here longer than me. You want a fucking medal?

Multi-headed Cow

Sure, it's fun. Thought the pacing was kinda slow, story was basically non-existent, gunplay was ok. I never really agreed with all the crazy praise HL2 got but it's a damn fine game none the less. I'd probably rate it higher than Day of Defeat (And Counter-Strike against people who have been playing it for years and years, CS against/with people who haven't played the fuck out of it is a good time), and lower than Valve's other games.

attackfighter

Magister
Loved the story, although a tad tame it was at least coherant.

Most video game stories consist of a bunch of "epic", flashy bs like quests to find a "water purifier" (purifying water isn't hard retards) and infiltration missions where you're sent to blow up random AA guns or w/e (looking at you CoD).

HL2's story wasn't idiotic and stereotypical, and that alone makes it one of the best FPS stories ever.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of the few arcade shooters I had fun with. Sure, it's dumb, it's arcade, it's papamole. But it is in the end fun to play through one or two times. Characters, story and everything is pretty mediocre with exception of atmosphere which is very good (with exception of citadel and some other few levels)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Liked it very much when it first came out. One of the few FPS I've finished and even started a second playthrough. Someday I plan to finish it too and then check out the Episode #1 and #2.

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
Most overrated game of the west with its fans reading way too deep into the excuse plot.

relootz

Scholar
The problem with HL2 is that it is inferior to HL1. It should have been an improvement but alas it is not.

Joghurt

Augur
There is one mega good reason to own HL2 - the insane amount of mods. But then again you don't actually have to own HL2 - you have to own one Valve game that uses Source engine. That's a p.fucking cool. Buy any game that is made by Valve and you can play shitload of mods.

Lightknight

Liturgist
It has an excellent story
What story ? Can you explain the story, its premise and conclusion ? You cannot, because nothing is ever explained and nothing is ever resolved. I dont think story was even in the plans. Its not that it makes HL2 a bad game, but talking about its superb story is simply laughable.

Was Laidlaw involved in the second game writing at all ? Because the first game actually HAD a story.

Destroid

Arcane
Joghurt said:
There is one mega good reason to own HL2 - the insane amount of mods. But then again you don't actually have to own HL2 - you have to own one Valve game that uses Source engine. That's a p.fucking cool. Buy any game that is made by Valve and you can play shitload of mods.

This was true for Half-Life 1 but really doesn't apply to HL2, modding ain't what it used to be.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fun but not very ambitious. Story was meh but I liked Breens monologues, they somehow reminded me of some Codexian individuals. Some interesting weapons, nice graphics and psychics. A lot of untapped potential.

Episodes are bad though. Not only because they come out every few years and its ridiculous but also because they feel like DLCs. Not what I expected.

Portal was a great triumph - I am making a note here: huge success.

Good corridor shooter. I used to think it was awesome back when it was released, but only because I haven't played better games then. It was the reason I played my first RPG game - Bloodlines, because I heard it was on the same engine. And that kind of turned my gaming world upside down. I used to think Diablo 2 was RPG until then. Later came Fallout 1/2, seeing as how my beloved Bloodlines were made by some of the same guys.
Shit, it's likely I wouldn't even know about Codex if it weren't for HL2.

attackfighter

Magister
Lightknight said:
It has an excellent story
What story ? Can you explain the story, its premise and conclusion ? You cannot, because nothing is ever explained and nothing is ever resolved. I dont think story was even in the plans. Its not that it makes HL2 a bad game, but talking about its superb story is simply laughable.

Was Laidlaw involved in the second game writing at all ? Because the first game actually HAD a story.

Gordon comes out of stasis and finds the world's been conquered by the combine. He meets up with his former colleague Morgan Freeman, but the combine track him and assault the building they're in. Gordon escapes, but Morgan is captured, so once Gordon learns of that he heads to Nova Prospekt to bust him out. Gordon raids Nova Prospekt and that ignites a rebellion against the combine, which eventually leads Gordon to the Citadel. Gordon fights his way through the citadel and eventually destroys the portal at the top.

Compare this to the "story" of Fallout 1 (minor spoilers):

The Overseer inexplicitly decides to send a single person on a quest to find a water purifier which if not found would doom everyone in the vault. Already there are glaring holes in the plot. First of all, an intelligent person would've sent a team out to find such an important device, and secondly that device, if so valuable, shouldn't of been so hard to replace. The entire premise of the plot is illogical and only serves as a pig trough to feed the player's ego and convince him that he's some kind of hero.

Next you head out into the wasteland to complete the overseers ill-concieved tasks, and one of the first things you notice is that you have a time limit. Now, I get that the time limit is there to instill the player with a sense of urgency and everything, but it's simply another cheap, incongruous ploy to dazzle the player. First of all, everything else in the game is fairly open ended and there're multiple awnsers to a lot of the quests, so why is it that the main plot is so fucking linear and shoehorned? The awnser is that the devs thought up the whole water chip thing and decided it was the most "epic" approach possible, and so they adamently refused to change it even though it was restricting and conflicted with so many other areas of the game. Second problem with the time limit: it suggests that everyone else in the vault is too incompetant to find a solution (temporary or permanent) to their water problem and are reluctant to even try. And not only is the time limit out of place, but it's completely inconsequential as well since there's no way you couldn't complete the stupiud water task in 250 days.

Moving on, so now that you've gotten the quest and seen the timelimit you head out into the wasteland to complete a series of inane, stereotypical RPG quests in what could only be described as the worlds edgiest take on post-apoclyptic America. Eventually you find the purifier, kill some idiotic mutants and then return home. Now, this brings us to the finale. The devs, in their drive to be edgy and hardcore, decide that a happy ending would be too lame for their X-TREME audience and so they shoehorn an illogical plot twist where the overseer kicks you out of the vault on the grounds that you might inspire other vault dwellers to leave. First of all, you just defeated an army of supermutants and shit, you'd be the vaults #1 asset and could pretty much guarentee it's safe existance throughout your lifetime, this pro sure as hell outways the con of tricking a few retards into leaving. Secondly, why would people be leaving anyways? No normal human would venture out of their comfy little pre-war vault into some barren desert full of incredibly dangerous shit. If people listen to your story of how giant rats tore off hunks of your legs the moment you stepped outside and then decide that they want to relive that experience, I'd say it'd be beneficial to get rid of them. Thirdly: why does the overseer not just tell you to keep your exploits toned down? There are plent of more logical ways the overseer could've handled your return, and yet he inexplicitly takes the "dark humour" approach of exciling you for such weak reasons.

So in summary, HL2 had a pretty mature and logical story compared even to the best of it's competition. Many video games shoehorn stupid retarded bs in to exploit the player's tenuous grasp on reality and juvenile appetite for edgy, hip and "epic" content. A less mature person would fail to appreciate HL2's seamless storyline and fantastic ingame narrative. Sadly those people are unavoidable casualities of modern gaming, and they will not be missed.

Relay

Educated
HL2 can't be a good FPS by definition because it's a fucking CORRIDOR SHOOTER. It's actually more primitive than Doom 1 which had huge maps with ton of backtracking and finding-your-way. HL2 is like an abstracted, long, straight line. HL2 is to FPS what FF13 is to JRPGs.

I think that too much emphasis has been given to Crysis graphics and not enough on what made it a true modern FPS instead of the shit we get like Modern WarCRAP : the maps are pretty open, huge and allow you to annihilate the enemy in pretty various ways. I wish more solo FPS had its physics and sizable maps.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
chzr said:
worse then hl 1, not a bad game but horribly overrated. and retarded guns.

Yeah, I'm finally playing HL1 after buying it on Steam for $1 -- overall I'm liking it better than HL2.

MapMan

Arcane
oh-boy-here-we-go.jpg

Disregard that, I suck dicks.

Gets way too much credit simply because HL1 was an excellent game. HL2 is only really notable for the fact that its a decent FPS that doesn't have auto regeneration and god mode cover mode toggle yet. The gravity gun is a boring piece of shit and the physics puzzles are dumb. If Valve would stop trying to be cute dazzling retards with those two things for the 100th time over and focused on better shooting gameplay then HL2 and its addon-things would be much better. It could also use a 'hard' difficulty that is actually hard on the player, but thats pretty much a given for any FPS released in the past 10 years.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, it's a good enough game to play through, maybe a second time with mods.

But, it's vastly overrated, and a big step down from HL1 in all respects (except graphics and physics, of course).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom