Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you never programmed before i recommend making a very simple game like the one i make in this video where you walk around a grid-sized room with randomly placed stuff and try to avoid a dinosaur - in text-based only form and by entering very simple commands. You can download it from here (with code) to try it out in practice.

Of course you probably want to use something a tiny bit more modern than Turbo Pascal from 1986 :-P - Python might be a better choice and there is a nice book about introducing programming with Python by making simple games that you can read for free. Actually you may want to do the simple stuff from the book before trying to make a game like the one in the video.

7h30n

Augur
My very first game I completed was an ASCII roguelike (in C, but that's not that important). I think it's a good starting point as you can focus on programming gameplay mechanics which will make the whole process more fun, instead of wasting time on setting up graphics, animations, etc.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
If you never programmed before i recommend making a very simple game like the one i make in this video where you walk around a grid-sized room with randomly placed stuff and try to avoid a dinosaur - in text-based only form and by entering very simple commands. You can download it from here (with code) to try it out in practice.

Of course you probably want to use something a tiny bit more modern than Turbo Pascal from 1986 :-P - Python might be a better choice and there is a nice book about introducing programming with Python by making simple games that you can read for free. Actually you may want to do the simple stuff from the book before trying to make a game like the one in the video.

I actually bought a course from Udemy and I've been doing okay with that. I'm a little under a third of the way through and I've built:
A number wizard game (simple number guessing program, press up for higher, press down for lower, click success. Think akinator but with a limiter number range)
A text adventure game (simple game where you click on option 1, 2, 3 and it takes you to different text blocks)

I'm using unity and trying to learn with C#. I was doing game maker for awhile, but I fucking hate it and I hated the instructors in the online courses I found.

Zanzoken

Arcane

I actually bought a course from Udemy and I've been doing okay with that. I'm a little under a third of the way through and I've built:
A number wizard game (simple number guessing program, press up for higher, press down for lower, click success. Think akinator but with a limiter number range)
A text adventure game (simple game where you click on option 1, 2, 3 and it takes you to different text blocks)

I'm using unity and trying to learn with C#. I was doing game maker for awhile, but I fucking hate it and I hated the instructors in the online courses I found.

Hey what a coincidence, I am working through the same course right now. Are you doing 2D or 3D? I am on the 2D path and just started on the Block Breaker section.

4RT06iE.png

Last edited:

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

I once made this game in MIPS assembly as a university project. Good times.

While I love Unity, I think it might be a bit of an overkill for a traditional ascii roguelike. If that's what you're after, there's plenty of libraries and tutorials regarding C# RL development you might want to check http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=C_Sharp#C.23_Roguelike_Library

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

Hey what a coincidence, I am working through the same course right now. Are you doing 2D or 3D? I am on the 2D path and just started on the Block Breaker section.

4RT06iE.png
I'm starting the block breaker section very soon. I find these guys annoying, lmao. But they're not as bad as the two idiots I bought a course from for game maker where they literally forget how to code something mid video and have to futz around with the code. Bitch I paid 33 bucks for your course you could at least have more prep than a youtber

cw8

Cipher
Thing I like about Unity is you can put anything under a "GameObject" item in the hierarchy and manipulate it as a whole. Like say, you wanna move the GameObject, all you have to do is just use the transform.translate command. I'm not sure if the other game engines do this as well.
I remember playing around with basic C coding, 20+ years ago in school. Whatever we drew on screen with code, we had to move every coordinate of it in order to move it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was doing game maker for awhile, but I fucking hate it and I hated the instructors in the online courses I found.

May I ask what instructors did you watch for Gamemaker? Because I'm using it for a few years now and I think there are a few very good channels on Youtube for that engine.

Godot is faster and easier than Unity.

please dont

Why? I also heard good things about Godot.

To be honest, Unity seems overkill for simple 2D games.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I was doing game maker for awhile, but I fucking hate it and I hated the instructors in the online courses I found.

May I ask what instructors did you watch for Gamemaker? Because I'm using it for a few years now and I think there are a few very good channels on Youtube for that engine.

Godot is faster and easier than Unity.

please dont

Why? I also heard good things about Godot.

To be honest, Unity seems overkill for simple 2D games.

Well I have already bought the course and I already am halfway through a 30 hour course. I already said "nah bye" to the Game maker course after BUYING game maker, and I want to get something, anything done and I can't do that changing programming languages and engines. It's maybe not the best, but I mean, CoQ was made in Unity, and it works.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Godot is already a strong competitor to Unity for 2D games and in my biased opinion will become the best 2D game maker out there. Also, you don't have to pay Godot a cut of your profits like you do for Unity.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Godot is already a strong competitor to Unity for 2D games and in my biased opinion will become the best 2D game maker out there. Also, you don't have to pay Godot a cut of your profits like you do for Unity.

wojak-glitch-thumbnail.jpg

You can also use C# in Godot just FYI

my friend, once I am done this tutorial I will look into it

Ok! Just know that the time you've spent on these tutorials is nothing compared to the time you'll be spending on actual projects, it's not too late to swap engines so don't get too invested just yet and make a proper informed decision

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Once I decide that it is time to move on from Gamemaker, I will move to Godot as well, it seems a pretty great engine as far as I've seen.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

wojak-glitch-thumbnail.jpg

You can also use C# in Godot just FYI

my friend, once I am done this tutorial I will look into it

Ok! Just know that the time you've spent on these tutorials is nothing compared to the time you'll be spending on actual projects, it's not too late to swap engines so don't get too invested just yet and make a proper informed decision

We will see!

cw8

Cipher

How's Godot for 3D?

PrettyDeadman

Is godot ready for me to make an iconic cultclassic crpg using it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom