Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
ncDOs3u.png

I have somehow fucked up blobber combat. Months spent making the most bloated, irratating, retarded mess of a system possible.
I cannot deny the world my ms paint art skills though, so the game must go on.
Look at that grass.
Bootiful
Pull the camera back a bit, the tile in front of you is barely visible. In fact, pull it back until you see the edge of a tile you're standing on.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I decided to try out that spess game.

It's nothing like I want to make, instead it's really weird. The entire "universe" is structured like a dungeon, "warping" to another section of the galaxy is just you moving up and down levels, and planets are just spawning a tiny map. Oh well

Noddy

Augur
Pull the camera back a bit, the tile in front of you is barely visible. In fact, pull it back until you see the edge of a tile you're standing on.

The tile in front is the tile you're standing on, if that makes sense. 3/5th of it is showing. Blindly copied from old blobbers when i was looking around to see what the perspective should be like. I think it's done like this to give random encounters ground to stand on.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

The tile in front is the tile you're standing on, if that makes sense. 3/5th of it is showing. Blindly copied from old blobbers when i was looking around to see what the perspective should be like. I think it's done like this to give random encounters ground to stand on.
My bad, had a brain fart there.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah but his pet dragon burns the map as he's drawing it so it might be a hidden message that the program is broken and may lose your progress :-P

Reinhardt

Arcane
Installed rpg maker just to try my hand in game development. Decided to keep things low and realistic for start - one location, few fixed encounters including one optional mini-boss and one boss fight, max lvl is 2, if you beat mid boss, 2 characters in party. Sort of prologue, just to see things done.

Reinhardt

Arcane
First thing i learned about rpg maker - you want to make proper forest? TOO BAD! Trees are not included!

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Made a port of Post Apocalyptic Petra to macOS. Changelog for version 0.99m:
  • Added macOS version
  • Added gamma/brightness adjustment in the software rendering versions with F2/F3
  • Added -window parameter for the windows version (meant to be used with the GDI version)
  • Optimized triangle batch search for the hardware accelerated versions
  • The editor can paste a texture from the clipboard (only for previewing)
  • Source changes to make possible using a different data directory
macOS port aside, this is a minor version. The macOS version is using SDL 1.2 like the Linux and GCW0 versions so i'm not sure where exactly it will work - i only have 10.13 on a late 2009 iMac and newer versions of the OS do not support it. So it may or may not work. It is 64bit though so that wont be a problem (funny enough until i turned on my iMac i wasn't sure if it even supports 64bit applications :-P - it has been three years since the last time i used it and even then i mainly used it to watch videos).

It also dawned on me that most people aren't checking this thread and it might be a good idea to make a thread about the game on some other subforum. At some point. In the future.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Made a port of Post Apocalyptic Petra to macOS. Changelog for version 0.99m:
  • Added macOS version
  • Added gamma/brightness adjustment in the software rendering versions with F2/F3
  • Added -window parameter for the windows version (meant to be used with the GDI version)
  • Optimized triangle batch search for the hardware accelerated versions
  • The editor can paste a texture from the clipboard (only for previewing)
  • Source changes to make possible using a different data directory
macOS port aside, this is a minor version. The macOS version is using SDL 1.2 like the Linux and GCW0 versions so i'm not sure where exactly it will work - i only have 10.13 on a late 2009 iMac and newer versions of the OS do not support it. So it may or may not work. It is 64bit though so that wont be a problem (funny enough until i turned on my iMac i wasn't sure if it even supports 64bit applications :-P - it has been three years since the last time i used it and even then i mainly used it to watch videos).

It also dawned on me that most people aren't checking this thread and it might be a good idea to make a thread about the game on some other subforum. At some point. In the future.
Reported for matter of time harvesting.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron

Of all the ports i've made this is the one that made you ask "why"? :-P

In general if Free Pascal supports a platform and i have access to it, i might make a port :).

Also i used to like macOS back when it was still called "Mac OS X" and Steve Jobs was around to keep the quality high. The Cocoa API was a great API for desktop applications too.

Nowadays Apple has disbanded their macOS team and merged the development with iOS and both the hardware and the software quality went downhill. But my 2009 iMac is still a fine computer, as long as it works i see no issue with making stuff for it.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
With the newer OSX and M1 chips, native ARM applications will not even run if Apple doesn't notarize and issue a code signing certificate, which requires joining the Apple Developer program for $99/year. Fuck Apple.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
With the newer OSX and M1 chips, native ARM applications will not even run if Apple doesn't notarize and issue a code signing certificate, which requires joining the Apple Developer program for $99/year. Fuck Apple.

It has been a few years since you needed to do that to avoid being blocked, however you could right click (or cmd+click) the application, select "Open" and it would run anyway (only needed the first time). You actually need to do that if you try to play Post Apocalyptic Petra under mac OS since i'm certainly not going to pay Apple for the privilege of writing software for my own computer :-P.

AFAIK it is the same with native ARM applications, however you also need to codesign the bundle. You do not need Apple's certificate, you can create your own, i've seen a couple open source projects do that (e.g. the SameBoy gameboy emulator).

In that case it'd be the same as Android where i already use a self-signed certificate since Android also requires signing. My sister downloaded the game in her new phone where she told me the phone was throwing all sorts of security warnings all over the place but at the end the game ran :-P. I'd expect something similar on macOS ARM too (assuming someone bothers to make an ARM build as personally i do not plan on getting an ARM Mac - or any Mac really - any time soon).

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
This tutorial has taken me to about as far as it can for now. Now it's mostly just teaching me unity things like how to tweak particle effects and most of what I'm "learning" now is just "oh how do we add sound effect? oh we go into here and add it through code you already know" and screw it.

I bought this book on many people's recommendations and I am also looking at getting this book eventually.

I'm all in on this coding. As for what I plan to get done this year, I've managed to do a shitload of coding and unity tutorial and I do plan to finish it up, but I want to get back to the basics and learn how to code. Particle effects and sounds are great, but my first project I wanted to do is a small scale, free little roguelike, mostly for my own amusement and the amusement of codexers here. I'm all in, lads. Thanks for the brofists and the encouragement, you're all truly based

cw8

Cipher
I'm all in on this coding. As for what I plan to get done this year, I've managed to do a shitload of coding and unity tutorial and I do plan to finish it up, but I want to get back to the basics and learn how to code. Particle effects and sounds are great, but my first project I wanted to do is a small scale, free little roguelike, mostly for my own amusement and the amusement of codexers here. I'm all in, lads. Thanks for the brofists and the encouragement, you're all truly based

Don't get discouraged on particle effects. Unity's one is very robust. You can make anything from spells, to glows, weather, to weapons effects with the particle effects. If anything they make your project come to life.

Can check this youtuber out, he does incredible tutorials with particle systems

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

Don't get discouraged on particle effects. Unity's one is very robust. You can make anything from spells, to glows, weather, to weapons effects with the particle effects. If anything they make your project come to life.

Can check this youtuber out, he does incredible tutorials with particle systems

Oh no, please understand, it's not that I don't like this stuff, it's just that I want to get a better handle on, and start writing more code for things. Tweaking dials and flipping switches in Unity is fun, but I won't be needing those kinds of effects for awhile. My first priority is learning how to code and code very well. I'm still having some troubles with things like for-loops, etc. And when the instructor is like "well we've done for-loops before so it should be second nature" and I dont even remember doing for-loops then it's time to get way harder into the fundamentals.

cw8

Cipher
Oh no, please understand, it's not that I don't like this stuff, it's just that I want to get a better handle on, and start writing more code for things. Tweaking dials and flipping switches in Unity is fun, but I won't be needing those kinds of effects for awhile. My first priority is learning how to code and code very well. I'm still having some troubles with things like for-loops, etc. And when the instructor is like "well we've done for-loops before so it should be second nature" and I dont even remember doing for-loops then it's time to get way harder into the fundamentals.

Oic, in that case do check this free Unity learning resource out for coding in C#.
I've coded in the past before with C and stuff like HTML/ASP but I only know the basics. I gave up too many times on programming over the years to know the advanced stuff. Trying to get into it again and hopefully I don't give up again. Don't give up on it like me. TBH, Unity and most game engines make most programming of stuff a lot easier than if you were to code something like colliders and pathfinding from scratch in, say, C++, so it's very worthwhile to learn. And the beauty is once you know the basics like loops and if statements, you can apply it to all other languages you learn:

https://learn.unity.com/course/unity-c-survival-guide

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Alright I found a good video tutorial series, the instructor seems to know to explain stuff in very clear terms for absolute, literal brainlets like me. this is great

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Here is a video with me playing a bit of Post Apocalyptic Petra under macOS (mainly the software renderer but i also play the OpenGL version a bit later). Starts with downloading the game, "unlocking" it so that it runs without Gatekeeper complaining, etc and then launching it:

I'm playing around with it a bit and, damn it, what a great OS it is, despite the hardware being more than a decade older than the OS and struggling a bit (though not as much as my four year newer laptop struggles to run Win10) the UX feels great. Too bad Apple cares little about backwards compatibility and drops support for things very quickly (they dropped support for macOS 10.13 just three years after it was released). Considering how much their hardware costs, you'd expect that they'd like to give the impression that their shit lasts long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom