Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

zwanzig_zwoelf

I have no idea what is going on in that video. What's the yellow line? What the big arrow thing supposed to represent?

Some commentary would be nice explaining what is going on.

Zep--

Like Ninjerk said, the yellow line is your aim and shows you the inverse normal to the new gravity that will be applied, in its current form it is used for debugging but something similar will probably be required to help the player navigate.

The big white arrow used to represent the global gravity (again for debugging and helping to orient the player) but is now broken, will have to fix the math to get it working correctly.
If you're going to make it into a real game, then what are the chances you'll get me to make music for it?

r3jonwah85

Savant
I have no idea what is going on in that video. What's the yellow line? What the big arrow thing supposed to represent?

Some commentary would be nice explaining what is going on.

Zep--

Like Ninjerk said, the yellow line is your aim and shows you the inverse normal to the new gravity that will be applied, in its current form it is used for debugging but something similar will probably be required to help the player navigate.

The big white arrow used to represent the global gravity (again for debugging and helping to orient the player) but is now broken, will have to fix the math to get it working correctly.
If you're going to make it into a real game, then what are the chances you'll get me to make music for it?

Probably pretty high, but I never make promises I can't keep :cool: But I have actually been thinking about these kinds of "problems", how to handle other people involved in projects in the best way?

1. Pay someone to do a certain amount of work as a freelancer? Good thing is you keep your potential earnings but the downside is the cost up front (and the potential zero income...).

2. Share revenue percentage once game is selling (if it is selling)? Hard part is to find someone willing to agree to this and also how is the percentages divided?

3. Start company together and share all burdens and profits equally?

4. Other solution? What have people here done? Kind of interested to know how the real world works.

Anyway, fixed the arrow thingy in the previous videos, but since that is not all that fun to show I spent an hour doing a small test of importing some Quake assets into Unreal Engine 4 and some basic coding to get the grenade launcher working (not accurate, will have to look up the detonation times, bounce properties, initial velocity etc in the Quake source). I apologize for my horrible grenade jump skills...

zwanzig_zwoelf

Probably pretty high, but I never make promises I can't keep :cool: But I have actually been thinking about these kinds of "problems", how to handle other people involved in projects in the best way?

1. Pay someone to do a certain amount of work as a freelancer? Good thing is you keep your potential earnings but the downside is the cost up front (and the potential zero income...).

2. Share revenue percentage once game is selling (if it is selling)? Hard part is to find someone willing to agree to this and also how is the percentages divided?

4. Other solution? What have people here done? Kind of interested to know how the real world works.
When I was working in social gaming, I usually received a specific amount of cash per contract, plus royalties.
I'll give you an example.

I received a request to do music and sfx for a game. Usually I had to do 4 music tracks + all sfx (about 20 sounds, but don't ask me to do sfx, I usually hate to do that shit).
Let's assume we agreed on $1000. I receive $500 up front, then I get the rest when the job is done (usually in a week or two, sometimes in 2-3 days).
Then I receive a certain percentage off the money that is left after publishers get their cut.

The numbers are made up, of course, but you get the idea.
Also, the quality of work was questionable. It's hard for me to make the best shit non-stop. I usually need some time to experiment and find the right style for the project, and then I'm ready to produce cool stuff. Except I rarely had the time for that. Out of 6 projects I worked on during 2014, only one project allowed me to get the time in order to do some good stuff... but the funny part is, I got extra time because the programmer assigned to the project was a total hack, and they had to rewrite the code from scratch to make it work.

Then their next project was a complete disaster, and instead of giving it more time, they pushed the release date like a drinking party. After that I quit working for them.
If you ever encounter a noir detective game with oriental music, then it was probably me. Sorry about that.

EDIT: That doesn't mean I can only accept this kind of contracts. I'll tell you more when I'm not drunk.

Last edited by a moderator:

r3jonwah85

Savant

When I was working in social gaming, I usually received a specific amount of cash per contract, plus royalties.
I'll give you an example.

I received a request to do music and sfx for a game. Usually I had to do 4 music tracks + all sfx (about 20 sounds, but don't ask me to do sfx, I usually hate to do that shit).
Let's assume we agreed on $1000. I receive $500 up front, then I get the rest when the job is done (usually in a week or two, sometimes in 2-3 days).
Then I receive a certain percentage off the money that is left after publishers get their cut.

The numbers are made up, of course, but you get the idea.
Also, the quality of work was questionable. It's hard for me to make the best shit non-stop. I usually need some time to experiment and find the right style for the project, and then I'm ready to produce cool stuff. Except I rarely had the time for that. Out of 6 projects I worked on during 2014, only one project allowed me to get the time in order to do some good stuff... but the funny part is, I got extra time because the programmer assigned to the project was a total hack, and they had to rewrite the code from scratch to make it work.

Then their next project was a complete disaster, and instead of giving it more time, they pushed the release date like a drinking party. After that I quit working for them.
If you ever encounter a noir detective game with oriental music, then it was probably me. Sorry about that.

EDIT: That doesn't mean I can only accept this kind of contracts. I'll tell you more when I'm not drunk.

Ok, thanks for the info! So the actual "maker" of the game has to be pretty damn sure the game gets releases and make some money, otherwise money spent on external people is a big expense. Well I guess that is only fair when you think about it.

Another video to keep this thread going:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Ok, thanks for the info! So the actual "maker" of the game has to be pretty damn sure the game gets releases and make some money, otherwise money spent on external people is a big expense. Well I guess that is only fair when you think about it.
The director was also an experienced developer, so they knew what to do in order to release it.
Unfortunately, he worships mobile and social platforms and praises Diablo 3.

r3jonwah85

Savant
Took a couple of hours and tried to get a nice mood and setting, might totally change but I rather like it. Also a small test using text to speech.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Definitely have a dark portal vibe going on.

The text to speech also reminds of me of ASA: A Space Adventure.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
here's my fantasy top-down killer game

http://absum.se/game.zip

AI is fucked up

but at least you can shoot

HOW TO PLAY:
WASD to move
hold mouse button, release to fire arrow

Last edited:

r3jonwah85

Savant
Testing out making the "scanner" actually scan something, now it produces a crude 3-dimensional copy of the environment. Could be a nice gameplay element where you send in drones to scan for enemies etc. Lost of stuff needs fixing to make it look better, but at least the idea works and did not take to long to implement. But to make it look better I think a grid is more appropriate than a radial spread as it is now.

here's my fantasy top-down killer game

http://absum.se/KSWB.zip

AI is fucked up

but at least you can shoot

HOW TO PLAY:
WASD to move
hold mouse button, release to fire arrow

Only 22 bytes and empty when I try to download this, so either I just got a nasty virus by clicking on unknown stuff on the interwebz or something went wrong in your upload :cool:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
r3jonwah85
sorry! fixed it

Looks really cool, the graphical style is great and the combat feels snappy. Making it into full game? And what plans do you have for the AI?
I'll try to make a super simple AI to start off with
No player in sight -> nada
Engaged or see player -> chase
In range of player -> attack

I have no plans at all. Just experimenting.

But an immediate goal is to add tons and tons of blood.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
First try at character pixel art in a long, long time.

d7wbLN1.png

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
No, just a mage. Under the robe it's all dark gray (except eyes), but I fucked up the hood/right shoulder part and was too tired to fix it. The chest could use some work too, I originally wanted to have some golden chains go across but for whatever reason I just went with random folds and it looks odd. Was going for a king of worms aesthetic with the mage being a dark figure with glowing eyes:

DF-King_of_Worms.png

All around I'm happy for a first try considering past attempts at learning how to do cloth ended pretty poorly. At least this is something I can build on.

zwanzig_zwoelf

First attempt at pixel art.
cvAWKXq.jpg

On another note, I'm jumping into development to set the ground for interactive stories, and once I get funds from my business pal, we'll go full crazy.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Your original sprite looks nice, but not Heretic-style. Also, the front of the robe needs to be "fixed" somehow. It looks like a sixpack or something.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Yeah I was gonna have some golden chains go across the chest like old military uniforms. IE:

Autumn-Winter-Designer-Women-font-b-Jacket-b-font-Fashion-font-b-Gold-b-font-Chain.jpg

I changed them into wrinkles because I was overdue to go to sleep and wanted to finish it, which didn't work out too well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom