Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Codex's Best DS RPGs

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
1. Pokemon SoulSilver
2. SMT: Devil Survivor
3. FF Tactics A2 - amazing tactical rpg, lots to do, lots of customization and character building
4. FF III remake
5. Contact - an Earthbound-y pseudorpg with extensive customization. If you don't consider this an RPG, then you can swap this with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of the Sky which is a roguelike.

TigerKnee

Arcane
All things considered, I think I prefer using my DS for other genres, mostly Strategy like Advance Wars.

But here's an "off the top of my head" list for RPGs.

1) Etrian III
2) SMT: Strange Journey
3) Pokemon: SS/HG
4) 4 Heroes of Light.
5) Super Robot Wars W

Of course, I didn't use my DS during the last few years of its life, so maybe I would have put down Pokemon Black or Saga 2/3 if I had played those... but since I didn't, eh.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm afraid my list is pretty boring, and a lot like most other lists in this thread, felipepepe.

1. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky --- fantastic writing for a Pokemon game and it has that pure love/friendship thing that I really adore. also it gets pretty grimdark later on, which is always a plus in a kid's game.
2. Final Fantasy IV DS --- fantastic remake that made a very difficult game (FF 4 hardtype) even harder (if you don't use augments). also, this is one of the ONLY games that manages to "get" the FF4 artstyle and somehow manages to transport it into 3D, which is an amazing accomplishment. the writing is also much improved.
3. Etrian Odyssey --- not much to say. simple, and filled with broken mechanics, and good writing and music. it's dungeon crawling done right - and well.
4. Dark Spire --- what the others said. plus, its really beautiful, in both modes
5. Mazes of Fate & Orcs and Elves - both are lightweight, simple good fun games if you like dungeon crawlers; they're so well made they deserve a mention

I am not gonna list EO 2/3/4 since they're too much alike and 1 is my favorite by far, but it's not like you can go wrong with playing either of them.

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
1. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky --- fantastic writing for a Pokemon game and it has that pure love/friendship thing that I really adore. also it gets pretty grimdark later on, which is always a plus in a kid's game.
Even if you put the writing (which can be a little too childish for some) aside, the sheer amount of items, moves, available teammates, and strategic possibilities makes this one of the best games for NDS.

On another note, I think I need to play Dark Spire.

I don't really know enough about DS rpgs to have an interesting list, actually. Hoping to gather enough willpower to go on a DS binge eventually (last time I fired up the emulator was to have an orgasmic time pitching Seiya against Goku in Jump Ultimate Stars when the English patch got released). I'll just praise the pokemans again for being a popular, polished turn-based RPG series that has not only been ignored by the dumbing down virus, but gets more complex with each new title. Like, what the fuck?

tumblr_lhbo2wN7HB1qfolmq.gif

By the way, noticed no one voted for Deep Labyrinth. Did no one play it, or the trailer makes it look more interesting than it is?

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Never really been good at calling something the best of a system when I haven't played every game on it (really, the only thing I can even loosely say I can make that call for is the Gamecube, and there are still some big titles I haven't tried because they are rare AND emulate poorly).

I'd make a list of Japan only games or the flat out worst RPGs on the DS as a joke, but I'm too lazy.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Wut?

Out of all DS games I've only ever played Etrian Odyssey I and III so you can include my votes for them if you want. The rankings are EO III > EO I

I've played an absolute assload of DS games, so when I get some time I'll put a top 5 together. Won't be easy though.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bros I'm confused, I thought this thread was about Nintendo DS games?

Anyway, in no real order:
1) Chrono Trigger
2) The Dark Spire
3) The World End With You
4) Devil Survivor
5) Disgaea

Last edited:

Cynic

Arcane
I'm surprised, I thought it would be easier to find NDS players here (especially with emulation), but the PS3 list was much quickier to make.

Anyway, still waiting for Anthony Davis and whoever else wants to vote.Cynic

Most of my favs have already been mentioned in here. I played a few RPGs on the NDS but not a huge amount, played a lot of Castlevania on it too, but I will not invoke the eternal codexian struggle to define what is an RPG by mentioning them in this list.

1. Devil Survivor
2. Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume
3. Front Mission DS
4. Final Fantasy IV: Heroes of Light
5. Final Fantasy Tactics A2

I think listing ports is kind of cheating but Front Mission 1 is some of the best shit there is. It always pissed me off how they ruined that franchise.

Also I only listed games which I finished. Honourable mentions go to Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Dark Spire and SMT: Strange Journey.

Dark Spire got me hooked for a bit but honestly, I found it to be a little too repetitive and the complete lack of even any kind of plot sort of killed my motivation to keep going back into the dungeons. Really awesome graphics and style though, had a lot of good things going for it.

My wife also played and loved FFXII: Revenant Wings, she couldn't understand why I didn't get into it, I kind of can't remember either. Maybe give that one a go too.

lightbane

Arcane
Well sadly these days I haven't played much with my DS. Besides, most of the games I like have already been mentioned. Anyways, I'll try to define my favorite (j)rpgs on the DS:

1. Devil Survivor 1: Awesome strategy rpg wiith actual Choices and Consequences, hard battles and likeable characters (anyone that is not Yuzu that is)
2. Front Mission DS: Customize your giant robots for battle! The 1st game is pretty rough compared with the sequels, but it's still worth giving it a try. It also has a new campaign not present in the original game... Although don't worry too much about the storyline, as much as the game pretends to be realistic and filled with grey morality, it is absolutely not (complete with Umbrella-like cartoonish villains)
3. Magical Starsign: The battles are nothing special, but it is kind of unique that you have a whole party of mages as your PCs. Despite the "kiddy" art, the setting it's pretty much Earthbound/Mother IN SPACE!
4. Radiant Historia: A main character that is actually competent and points out retarded stuff? Instant win for me. It is also a jrpg in which positioning is actually important, although battles are quite easy.
5. Dragon Quest V: One of the first jrpgs to introduce monster-capturing mechanics (way before Pokemon did), plus it has a nice plot with some interesting twists. The DS version has many extras that make it extra good.

There are more I know but sadly I can't recall them at the moment :sad:

By the way, that Deep Labyrintn game looks quite cool. Perhaps I'll consider getting it.

PS: I've never played any of these Pokemon roguelike games. How "childish" are we talking about?
PPS: Also, what is the Codex's opinion about Zelda DS games?

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's not a complex plot; however, it is well written considering the intended audience, and it does tell a good story with memorable characters.

Also, bonus points for depicting
the post-apocalyptic wasteland
in Pokemanz game.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well I haven't played any of the really good ones 'cept Front Mission DS. Just add that I suppose. I'll get around to Etrian Odyssey, Radiant Historia, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and the SMT games at a later time.

Didn't expect some of the codexians to be Pokemon fans, though. Should get around to playing them too.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Seriously, Pokemon is a series that gets MORE hardcore with more abilities, moves and usable characters with every generation and it's a game aimed for CHILDREN.

It's extremely sad to see other companies dumb down their RPGs when one targeted towards CHILDREN doesn't feel the need to insult their intelligence.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Well positioning isn't a factor in Pokemon combat...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom