Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sòren

Arcane
sry that i have to ask the same question again, but is the system update not available on GOG currently? i got a bunch of updates in the last days, but it doesn't seem to include that. (and yes, activated public test channel).

CoronerZg

Augur

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
sry that i have to ask the same question again, but is the system update not available on GOG currently? i got a bunch of updates in the last days, but it doesn't seem to include that. (and yes, activated public test channel).
Not yet. Apologies for the inconvenience but due to the strikes on the power grid in Ukraine our programmer's working hours are very limited.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/648410/discussions/0/3454842785099977424/#c3454842785102359577
Man... this is so depressing. Why can't we have nice things? ITS is my last hope for pure, genuine quality RPGs.
I don't know how much cause for worry this is. Games drop off in sales. Hopefully the game sells well when it has its full release.

I wonder how AoD releasing impacted its sales figures.
It's very hard to compare since AoD had a lot of media attention whereas Colony Ship has none. I emailed everyone who covered AoD but got zero response, so we're flying under the radar right now.
:stealth mission:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I've bought 4 copies (3 on GOG and 1 on Steam) but I'll buy a couple more, although it seems it might not make much of a difference. It's annoying that shit like Disco Elysium is selling so well and IT games barely cover the costs of development.

One more copy won't do shit, but it'll make me feel better.
Giving it away (here especially) is stupid, you'll probably give it to someone who would have bought it otherwise. It's better to have additional keys for yourself, on patreon.com people pay a monthly fee (often as high as 50 USD but it can be much more) just for a small update/new video/new render so paying less than 20 USD from time to time isn't that much.

Anyway, buying more copies is easier on GOG because you just tell them to what email account they should send the key. I don't see an option to buy another copy of the same game on Steam though (using the same account).

(...)
It's very hard to compare since AoD had a lot of media attention whereas Colony Ship has none. I emailed everyone who covered AoD but got zero response, so we're flying under the radar right now.
Biggest Polish gaming site has covered it but it's only a 40 million country and a niche game so it won't make much of a difference.
https://www.gry-online.pl/S018.asp?ID=3325&STR=9

Last edited:

Antigoon

Augur
TuBjk6O.png

At least going by player numbers it doesn't look too bad. I understand the frustration with zero coverage and general negativity, but with just a nice bump from the EA on release date it looks like you could hit some decent enough? numbers.

When you don't have an eyetearing story about working for 13 years on the game, infotainment industry stops paying attention.

Make up a story about how the game is dedicate to your cat, who died because you smuggled him on the field trip in the middle school and he ended up in a freaky accident involving a vacuum chamber. Media attention will increase 1000%

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Make up a story about how the game is dedicate to your cat, who died because you smuggled him on the field trip in the middle school and he ended up in a freaky accident involving a vacuum chamber. Media attention will increase 1000%
Since many devs are Ukrainians they can use that fact, developing the game while war is going on and they often don't even have electricity is amazing.

Sòren

Arcane
Not yet. Apologies for the inconvenience but due to the strikes on the power grid in Ukraine our programmer's working hours are very limited.

no probs. just wanted to make sure. i noticed that most of the attention is focused on steam.

Since many devs are Ukrainians they can use that fact, developing the game while war is going on and they often don't even have electricity is amazing.

Yeah, that's a good idea!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
TuBjk6O.png

At least going by player numbers it doesn't look too bad. I understand the frustration with zero coverage and general negativity, but with just a nice bump from the EA on release date it looks like you could hit some decent enough? numbers.
Doesn't look bad?
AoD had 3 huge spikes of concurrent players, colony ship had one at the initial release and nothing since. This graph paints a pretty sad picture :(

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I've bought 4 copies (3 on GOG and 1 on Steam) but I'll buy a couple more, although it seems it might not make much of a difference. It's annoying that shit like Disco Elysium is selling so well and IT games barely cover the costs of development.

I admire the dedication but most of us won't buy several copies of the same game for ourselves. However, support bundles are a thing for people who wish to givs devs more cash than they already paid for the game.

ATOM guys did it, Encased guys did it, some other indie devs too. There is no shame in this. You don't have to put game breaking gear there, just some cool looking reskins.

Vault Dweller grant us a supporter bundle so we can give you more money!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, that's a good idea!
Infinitron shitposts become reality: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/members/vault-dweller.497/#profile-post-65921

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Coming from an unknown indie developer AoD had the potential of being great and you got a free pass from media before its release. The stars aligned because AoD development took place in parallel with the great kickstart craze and the hopes for a RPG genre revival.

I don't want to argue on the game's strong or weak points: the fact is that it failed to deliver a classic RPG experience and it probably made most reviewers feel and look like fools. Most of them probably didn't play more than a couple of hours.

The part you don't get: after release they continued to praise AoD not because of its merits but because they didn't want to contradict their previous statements. I understand that you love the game but AoD has zero mainstream appeal and nobody really cares about it except for a small autistic community.

Now you are trying to market a less autistic game but nobody is taking the bait anymore. They also don't want to review games designed for autistic audiences and it doesn't help that the game looks generic also. The point is that this game will be reviewed and judged on its merits. Like it should be.

That being said, you have the chance to prove yourself without pressure. Release a polished game - with less autistic screeching - and you will be fine.

Ereshkigal

Educated
the fact is that it failed to deliver a classic RPG experience
My impression is that they weren't interested in delivering a "classic" RPG experience but wanted to go further than what was thought possible, at least in terms of C&C. Not everything needs to be a callback.
AoD has zero mainstream appeal and nobody really cares about it except for a small autistic community
Thank God for that. What are you doing here if you want all games to be the same?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
the fact is that it failed to deliver a classic RPG experience
My impression is that they weren't interested in delivering a "classic" RPG experience but wanted to go further than what was thought possible, at least in terms of C&C. Not everything needs to be a callback.
AoD has zero mainstream appeal and nobody really cares about it except for a small autistic community
Thank God for that. What are you doing here if you want all games to be the same?
You just proved my point.

"I don't want to argue on the game's strong or weak points..."

"...and nobody really cares about it except for a small autistic community."

I would try to explain but ...
ec1.png

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
TuBjk6O.png

Doesn't look bad?
AoD had 3 huge spikes of concurrent players, colony ship had one at the initial release and nothing since. This graph paints a pretty sad picture :(
All those spikes happened post release though. All the game needs is one lucky break to get the ball rolling - then its quality will speak for itself. I remain hopeful.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
btw, anyone else loosing attachment to the setting after act1? I've realized that Im having fun before point of no return, then its get generic and I can't say I care much about characters.

And part to it might be pigeon holing player based on abilities.
In AoD terms: sneaky character can progress thieves questline all the way. And there is more than 1 branch. Or keep betraying and even ascend. It doesnt mean that this character can access everything, but there is always a (illusion of?) choice
in colonoscopy sneaky character can access most paths and be useful. Once you reach point of no return its all thrown out of the window, you keep failing all interactions until you finally get sneaky one and progress this way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom