Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #50: the first chapter is playable

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
With each update will you continue to add locations, encounters, etc. to each chapter, or it's done when released?

Nm6k

Scholar
How many of the 12 companions will be in chapter 1. Evans has been in a lot of screens shots and was mentioned in the combat demo and so was Dinah will there be any more then them.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
With each update will you continue to add locations, encounters, etc. to each chapter...
Yes, of course.

How many of the 12 companions will be in chapter 1. Evans has been in a lot of screens shots and was mentioned in the combat demo and so was Dinah will there be any more then them.
Down to 10 now. You'll get 3 potential party members: Evans, Faythe (formerly known as Dinah), and Jed.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Is the droid Unit Romeo still in
Still planned but modeling and animating it are a very high barrier at the moment. We even talked about cutting it (it sucks but what are you gonna do if you don't have the resources) but decided to keep it, at least for now. If we can't do a proper droid ED-209 style, we'll do a floating orb (Morte meets New Vegas' Eyebot).

cb.spike

Educated
$24.99 on release, $29.99 when we add chapter 2, $34.99 when we add chapter 3, $39.99 when it's done.

I have a feeling we'll be lucky to stay afloat.

Sad to hear this type of predictions directly from you. But I understand it. The Age of Decadence happened in different times. I will still do my part and post about Colony Ship wherever I can. And I´m buing the EA version and then I wil figure out how to get more money your way.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sad to hear this type of predictions directly from you. But I understand it.
So far the media has completely ignored the game. Maybe it will change when the game is released, maybe it won't, but right now I'd rate the media coverage as 10% at best (of the coverage AoD got) and the overall interest across the gaming forums at about 30-40%. Maybe it's not a decisive factor, but I'd rather be cautious than optimistic at this point.

I just don't know if I like a setting that consists of nothing dirty, poorly lit metallic warehouses. It seems to me the setting limits environmental variety and makes you feel very constrained.
It's a container town sitting in one of the cargo holds. As in one location, not all.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sad to hear this type of predictions directly from you. But I understand it.
So far the media has completely ignored the game. Maybe it will change when the game is released, maybe it won't, but right now I'd rate the media coverage as 10% at best (of the coverage AoD got) and the overall interest across the gaming forums at about 30-40%. Maybe it's not a decisive factor, but I'd rather be cautious than optimistic at this point.

But did AoD get much attention before Teron was released? I knew about the Gladiator demo and played it, but if memory serves I saw the game getting more and more attention the closer it got to full release.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Early Access titles seem to get more media attention than a combat demo, simply because of the more content there is, and because people finally have a chance to jump into the game and see parts of what there is, and then they got the game already when its eventually released.

25 bucks doesnt seem too bad for most people I would reckon. Here's to hoping for a great launch, though, y'all deserve every dolla :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
But did AoD get much attention before Teron was released? I knew about the Gladiator demo and played it, but if memory serves I saw the game getting more and more attention the closer it got to full release.
Quite a lot. Of course, it was years before Kickstarter so that's probably the main reason why. They had to write about something.

Binky

Cipher
After stabbing mostly clean shaven dudes in AoD it'll be a pleasure to zap these Grizzly Adams-looking sons of bitches in Colony Ship. Will you be able to blast the Chief Justice in chapter one? I've been waiting to shoot that sleazy walrus since last April.

What you think is the cause of there being less interest?

Vault Dweller

Developer
No idea. Could be the effect of 'indiepocalypse', could be that the game is just not exciting enough (no magic, no mystery, no over the top wacky stuff wasteland style), could be that people looked at the screens and thought it takes place in a warehouse. Anyway, we'll know soon enough.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Do a proper EA trailer, then, that could really kick things into gear I imagine :)

Showcase some of the cuul stuff to get the hypemachine running and things to that effect.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Do a proper EA trailer, then, that could really kick things into gear I imagine :)

Showcase some of the cuul stuff to get the hypemachine running and things to that effect.
We'll do a proper trailer, update the screens, hire a(n affordable) PR/marketing company, etc. My observations about the current situation doesn't mean we're giving up.

Tigranes

Arcane
No idea. Could be the effect of 'indiepocalypse', could be that the game is just not exciting enough (no magic, no mystery, no over the top wacky stuff wasteland style), could be that people looked at the screens and thought it takes place in a warehouse. Anyway, we'll know soon enough.

It's hard to know, indeed, and a lot of it is beyond your control. One thing you can control is definitely to curate more visually attractive footage. I would play this game even if it actually took place entirely in superdark warehouses, but maybe what people see undersells the game. Perhaps you're waiting for some other areas to get more finished?

3y3qPKt.png

Whatever the case may be, I think the name Colony Ship hurts it too, it's pretty generic. If I was more creative I'd come up with some ideas for another name :salute: Maybe something on the theme of humanity's last hope, rather than just "a ship" type of name.

There's a lot about the story worth getting excited about, so it kinda hurts that the name even has to matter :argh:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Whatever the case may be, I think the name Colony Ship hurts it too, it's pretty generic. If I was more creative I'd come up with some ideas for another name :salute: Maybe something on the theme of humanity's last hope, rather than just "a ship" type of name.

There's a lot about the story worth getting excited about, so it kinda hurts that the name even has to matter :argh:

First time i heard of the game, i wouldn't even check it, in my mind generic name = generic game.
It really took me a while to check it and i only did it because a couple of monocled codexers seemed pretty exited about it.

So, i get why it doesn't get so much hype outside of the codex.

A new name and some marketing with good timing would probably do the trick.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
The game is looking awesome. Really good job.

To the people harping on the name: I don't think that's the root of the issue.

From my perspective, traditional gaming journalism is dead as a doornail. There's a bunch of streamers knocking at the door begging for keys, but the larger written outlets are a vacuous cloud of cynical apathy towards content. They only care about political angles, which is probably a sign of a sector in decline.

VD, I took your advice to heart last year and I've learned a lot since, but I spent some time crawling all the AoD coverage and noticed that most of those outlets are now defunct or idle, even the ones verified by Metacritic.

It's gonna be organic reach all the way, people! Let's support these fine gentlemen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom