Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Confessions of a dirty gamer

HappyDaddyWow!

Educated
System Shock 2 can't decide if it wants to be a survival horror game or an FPS and it ruins the entire experience.
I think the reason SS2 feels like a survival horror is because the only challenge that matters in it is resource management, which is typical for resident evil games. SS2 was definitely not made nor marketed as survival horror and was only classified that way after the fact.
Even if it was unintentional, it definitely has survival horror DNA so to speak. Resource scarcity, backtracking, needing to carefully explore the environment for items like keys to progress - it has a lot in common with Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

The difference being, in RE and Silent Hill, bypassing enemies without wasting your limited resources is challenging and extremely rewarding. In System Shock, you can run through the entire game bashing everything with your wrench because the enemies are respawning FPS fodder enemies. The resource scarcity feels more like an annoyance than an obstacle that has to be overcome.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I really enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisition.
It's free now on the Epic Store. And you don't need the Epic App if you're using Linux to install games from the Epic Store.
LGS shut down a year later. This is why we can't have nice things.
I wonder how many of them thought, "Maybe we should spend some more time on our reload function." when they were working a game for their next studio.

Sweeper

Arcane
grimoire.jpg

I've been meaning to go back to it and do a full playthrough, but I don't think I can play vidya anymore. Not only do I just not enjoy it as much as I used to, I've got shit to do.
I launched BB a week back, loaded up a save, stared at the world map for 30 seconds and promptly exited the game. Before that I was forcing myself to play PoE just to see if I'd still hate it as much as I did when I played it on release.
I actually feel dirty when I think about my Grimoire play time.
:despair:
I'M SORRY CLEVE!

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh a couple:
  • Played the shit out of Gothic 3: no regerts!
  • Played the hell out of Two Worlds: 2 - there was some excellence there amidst the chaff (horse racing challenges).
  • Enjoyed Disco Elysium as a game. I never bothered worrying about where it fit in the grand scheme - and I really didn't like the idea of a single, measly fight. But the protagonist is a depressed alcoholic, something I'm sure we can all identify with.
  • For some odd reason (age?), I separate rpg gamers by their opinion on the original Icewind Dale more than anything. You like Icewind Dale, the aesthetic, the music, the visuals, the combat? Come, break bread with me! You don't like Icewind Dale? Not enough romance, nor dialog, nor C&C? Look, I'm here to sneak up and throw fireballs on preset enemies, not to talk or fuck party members. Your objectives do not align with mine. Here, here is a Dragons Age game for you.
  • There is such a thing as too much RNG, and I'll place that directly at around MM1 & 2. After that, I'm completely fine with random encounters and enemies. I still love MM1 and MM2, but holy shit! 48 pixies fighting a 1st level party!
  • I finished Bard's Tale II the first time by the game spazzing out and the weapon store had everything, including all parts of the destiny wand. Finished every part but the final destiny stone, but when I walked out, the store had everything I needed.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
i'm terrible at finishing games, i have a lot of saves just right before then end because i get bored ater 30+ hours of the same game.

it's also incredibly rare that i mod a game.

kotc2 is great, but kotc is better.

i play so many games at once i have a hard time keeping systems in order, thank the gods most follow the same philosophy in stat design.

lastly, i'm a combat fag who always skips stories but recognize that providing aa actual macguffin to get or a baddie you're vested in killing via narrative sits better than just battle after battle after battle, and the lack of that is what makes battle brothers weak.

:smug:

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I started Gothic with the 2nd part, and when I went back to Gothic 1, I didn't like it nearly as much.
Anyone who started with sequel/later version of a game has all of their "opinions" instantly invalidated.

Either you are a kid blinded by nostalgia (an insult hurled towards people who were there at the beginning but applies to people who started after 99% of the time), or you're a filthy casual who has no interest in knowing the true experience.

Falksi

Arcane
  • After revisiting a ton of old games, I've become addicted to playing the SEGA Mega Drive again.
  • I have still never been able to get into Arcanum
  • I own an N64 (even though I intend to burn it one day)

FalloutBR

Educated
I find that the Ultima series is overrated, especially Ultima I-III. I couldn't finish any of them back then when I was a teenager and if pressured to say the truth, present time me would say that even run-of-the-mill JRPG slop like the Persona series is the superior product.

Disclaimer: I was scammed out of US$25 by Richard Garriott during the Portalarium Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter back in 2014.

Comte_IV

Literate
I think Planescape torment is overrated and feels unfinished especially the second half. I also feel BG2 is unfinished post candlekeep and I prefer BG1 to 2.

Ultima IX is a guilty pleasure despite how awful it is.

I think Fallout 4 is better then New Vegas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom