Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control - supernatural third person action-adventure from Remedy

Puteo

Learned
For whatever reasons, we forgot how games were actually released before circa 2008 - FEAR, Doom 3, Far Cry 1, Crysis 1 could not be ran at highest settings even with the top GPUs of that time and no one really complained.

It's because after that we entered the Dark ages of PCgaming where we largely just got shitty ports of console games which could be run easily on max because they were designed for shitty consoles with no PC extras

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That garbage seems only useful for silly people who bought 4K screens and then realized "oh shit I cannot afford to buy a new top tier GPU every year to support this!". So now they'll have to render their games at lower than native resolution.

That's a big reason yeah. Also people who can't bring themselves to turn ray tracing off, like the Digital Foundry guy.

I do agree that it's fine the game has "built for the future" tech in it. I remember defending Crysis back in the day when people endlessly bitched that even a top-tier card couldn't max it out. Usually ultra settings are made for screenshots or future PCs, and I get that. I more just think it's funny they marketed an entire range of GPUs on ray tracing, but then you're only be able to turn that ray tracing on if you're fine with upscaled half resolution.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Looks like this didn't even enter the Top 20 for console retail sales in August. Sure hope that Epic money pulls them through, because nobody seems to be buying it in normal stores.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Looks like this didn't even enter the Top 20 for console retail sales in August. Sure hope that Epic money pulls them through, because nobody seems to be buying it in normal stores.

Are console disc sales still a decent percentage of the market? I vaguely recall Eurogamer sales charts articles that basically said no, but I dunno.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Depends? Physical sales are still significant for console-exclusive titles, plus the NPD numbers I was referring to aren’t actually 100% retail only since some publishers voluntarily share their digital sales numbers as well. That being said, a new game with a physical release not showing up in the top 20 during its release month is usually a bad sign for overall sales. Even Man of Medan made it in at 19, for reference.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's gotten good press, so that's weird (and a bummer). I don't love the game like some reviewers but it's definitely better than average.

P.S. Just beat the "mirror." With these tough optional fights late game the save system gets kind of annoying, but they are fun fights that actually make you use more powers than just telekinesis. Also combat during levitation is cool, and you even get a superhero style outfit later. Cheesy, but amusing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Shit game with horrendous optimization and console ui and controls. Biggest codex popamolers praising it. The game failing is huge incline.:dealwithit:

Turn two settings to medium and the thing runs at like 90fps on a mid-tier rig at 1440p, so not sure I'd call it poorly optimized. It just has a couple god settings. UI and controls are actually pretty great on PC, other than maybe having to hold the interact key for a second.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I find it unbelievably lame that the game with a transforming gun has the same two weapon limit as practically every other shooter of the last decade. I really thought you would be able to change to any of the weapon modes on the fly with the number row, but no, you can only toggle between two with the F button. Being able to pause and switch weapons doesn't make it okay. I should never have to pause to use more than two weapons in a shooter. Goddamn...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I find it unbelievably lame that the game with a transforming gun has the same two weapon limit as practically every other shooter of the last decade. I really thought you would be able to change to any of the weapon modes on the fly with the number row, but no, you can only toggle between two with the F button. Being able to pause and switch weapons doesn't make it okay. I should never have to pause to use more than two weapons in a shooter. Goddamn...

It would bother me more if any of the weapons were worth a damn other than the default.

Puteo

Learned
It would bother me more if any of the weapons were worth a damn other than the default.

The shittiness of the weapons seems to be at least partly due to the fact that the weapon mod RNG system is completely broke.

You'll get duplicate after duplicate of prime levitation ammo efficiency but some of the actually useful mods like weapon damage you're lucky if you see one rare drop in your entire playthrough.

Doesn't help that pre-patch pierce charge speed and spin grouping size didn't even drop at all (and I still didn't see them post-patch)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You'll get duplicate after duplicate of prime levitation ammo efficiency but some of the actually useful mods like weapon damage you're lucky if you see one rare drop in your entire playthrough.

I got a high level damage boost through crafting I believe, only one I've seen.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Guess it could end up selling well in the long run like Prey did whenever it goes on sale on Steam.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finished it, brilliant game. Lovely writing and direction, excellent gameplay, top quality janitorial work, truly a joy.

Also Prey really didn't sell well, studios aren't willing to accept a game that breaks even after 5 years.

Tail revenue is *nice* but it's discounted for time, they really want the money up front and a big release because that *funds* their next project with no uncertainty.

Also the problem with Ray tracing isn't that the specs aren't there for it, it's that #1 Ray tracing relies on *die space* that could be devoted to shaders/vertex calculators rather than matrix multiplication ASICs, and could be used to raise the frame rate of the *non* ray traced elements a lot.

Also #2, it's cementing the monopoly of an overcharging consumer abusing company whose idea of value for money is selling a midrange card at a higher price than the 8800, the greatest card of all time.

I have one other grievance with it, the ability/weapon progression. Should have been more frontloaded in the story instead of getting your abilities fully unlocked only when you're already getting near the end. Especially when that includes levitation that a lot of the level design is built around incorporating/supporting. It's subjective, but I don't like it when a game withholds mechanics, abilities, or types of equipment until the late game. A bit of spreading stuff through earlier sections is ok but by the time I've gotten halfway through I would generally expect to have at least the base level of every type of ability and item available. Maybe this is skewed because they cut out content for DLC but didn't redesign progression, I dunno.

Dexter

Arcane
Aren't you happy for developer welfare paying for and subsidizing shitty games that don't sell with man-jawed protagonists?

You should apologize to Tim Sweeney RIGHT NOW!

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He talks like EPIC invested the money to get the game made. Is this history revisionism in the making?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom