Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Controversial opinions about RPGs that you know deep down are true.

Codex Year of the Donut
They're their own genre because 99% of them have retarded as fuck designs and stories. If you pick a jrpg at random you're pretty much guaranteed to be playing a completely linear story featuring a teenage androgynous boy who is actually the savior of light that must defeat the 9000 year old evil.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In western RPGs, you play a role.

In JRPGs, you watch some character play out his own role with little to no input from you.

western RPG = Role Playing Game
JRPG = Role Watching Game

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

In JRPGs, you watch some character play out his own role with little to no input from you.

Is The Witcher not an RPG? After all, you play as Geralt, and there's little input from the character. Entire scenes play out with no input from the player.

rusty_shackleford You are talking about the stories in JRPGs, whereas I could talk about how if you pick a WRPG at random you're pretty much guaranteed to be playing a barebones and linear story featuring your stereotypical assortment of dwarfs/elves/humans who must defeat the big bad dragon. It's a generalization that doesn't stand under scrutiny.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Path of Exile is the best RPG of this decade.

Pseudo-intellectuals on the codex think story and dialogue define RPGs.

Deadfire was the last good classical fantasy rpg and is way better than a good shunk of rpg's renowned by the codex. Won't go into detail or butthurt would be too great.
(BG 3 will suck hard and I am Belgian)

Path of Exile is the best LOOTER of the decade, and only is successful because Jay Wilson fucked hard Diablo 3, removed everything good from Diablo, the journey, the affixes and randomness on loot, the character progression, the char customization and replaced it with WoW-like BS art-style, homogenization and cooldown based combat.. Dark Souls has a better character progression than PoE. As for deadfire, IMO is simple. Pathfinder Kingmaker > Deadfire > DOS2.

And yes, BG3 will be awful, first by being available on Stadia. Second because "i believe that mechanics who exist since pool of radiance, in 1988 obviously not work in video games and that D&D/BG is a amazing game, except on the combat, the leveling up, the magic system and everything else"

Is The Witcher not an RPG? After all, you play as Geralt, and there's little input from the character. Entire scenes play out with no input from the player.

TW3 is the line in between action adventure and RPG. You have little input, but has some input.

-------------------------------------------

About Path of Exile, this review is funny.

"You need elemental resist to fight enemies with high elemental damage output, that is bad"

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The Witcher is a game that's very light on RPG elements, yes.

Open Path

Learned
But is it an RPG? The Codex seems to think so.

TW3 is one of the "less rpgish" games in the recent codex list and among the most "jrpgish" of western crpgs.

Even considering only story-centric "western" rpgs with fixed characters -BaK, Ultimas, Planescape or KC: D- The Witcher 2 and 3 include less rpgish approach to combat -more reflexes than character stats/skills-, a huge amount of cutscenes, a less meaningful control of role-build -even if you choose opposite paths in most quests...-, worst loot or enemy leveling, less relevant exploration, etc.

On the other hand TW 2-3 are better in some features as personality development and npc "emotions", the aforementioned story-telling through cutscenes, etc, wich are more typical of japanese console games that pretend to be rpgs -not japanese blobbers or arpgs, but the typical "jrpgs"-, than classic crpgs.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Learn the definition of argument and come back, you have below 100 iq

Guys I told you Age of Decadence generated so much butt hurt from 'tards. The butt hurt is real. :P
You still dont get it, it's a simplistic game, moreso than every jrpg ever developed, you pick one stat, and level it up, thats the whole game, it requires no thinking 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

until your stat is at 10

It's ok you didn't get a handle on the game, it's not for everyone. I'm looking forward to Iron Towers next game. :D
It's the most braindead rpg ever made, you hit plus 1 until you get 10 in the stat, nothing in the game requires you to think

overly excitable young man

Both Age of Decadence and Underrail are better than Fallout 2.
(Not than F1 though)

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Hey guys the game where you max one stat and use fast attack is super deep trust me, I can't understand tactical rpgs and never played one so this has to be the deepest game ever made

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Call of Duty is a western rpg, I pick my gun stats I pick my perks and equipment, therefore it's an rpg, and I can level up and assign new stats to my loadout

Are you trying to say that AoD isn't a rpg?
What games aren't as braindead as AoD?
Do you only play JA and XCOM?

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
I'm trying to say people that talk about AoD and say it has deep tactics are full of shit, it's OK to like a simplistic game, but don't lie to people

I came into the game expecting tactical depth, but it has barely any, I expected using different weapons against different enemies based on the situation, but making a character like that would fuck you over, in the end it's a very simplistic game in which you pick one weapon skill and max it out, and that's counterintuitive to what everyone told me about the game

Well those people exaggerated of course.
It's a one character game after all.
How can it have as much depth as JA2?
The selling feature for AoD is C&C and not the great tactical combat.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But is it an RPG? The Codex seems to think so.

The Codex Opinion and my opinion are two different things. I don't have a opinion about TW3.

IMO from the game labeled as "action RPG's" :
Diablo 3 - Gear playing game / Barbie dressing game
Tw3 - Don't know / No opinion.
Dark Souls - RPG

Call of Duty is a western rpg, I pick my gun stats I pick my perks and equipment, therefore it's an rpg, and I can level up and assign new stats to my loadout

BF/CoD has more RPG elements than most post wow MMOs, D3 and most jRPG's. I an not being ironic. At least on BF 1, i don't see everyone at lv cap like on D3/WoW...

PS : Fallout new vegas is the best shooter/RPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom