Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Copper Dreams Kickstarter Campaign is Live

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'm not impressed. Kind of an uglier Shadowrun with the annoying rotating camera to boot. Thanks, but no thanks.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, retard-face, not everyone likes the shit you like. Go sperg about the right shape of stones, or something.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I'm not impressed. Kind of an uglier Shadowrun with the annoying rotating camera to boot. Thanks, but no thanks.

It has the looks of an uglier Shadowrun, but it has real cRPG meat in it (detailed combat system, challenge, rewards thinking, etc). Along with writing and C&C, this cRPG “meat” is the most important thing and it’s something that Shadowrun doesn’t have. I think this kickstarter just shows how superficial and popamole most codexers are. They give millions to fund a cyberpunk popamole because it has good graphics, but can’t afford 20k for a genuine cRPG.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think this kickstarter just shows how superficial and popamole most codexers are. They give millions to fund a cyberpunk popamole because it has good graphics, but can’t afford 20k for a genuine cRPG.

Good graphics add to the atmosphere, while rotating cameras destroy atmosphere and immersion. I actually like the 80's feel of the intro graphics and logos, but the game environments are too bland and ugly. Plus, that heavy focus on jump'n'run stuff in the pitch video is not really evoking 'true RPG' feeling either.

Also, not sure why Shadowrun is "popamole" while this one is not. Both are turn-based, so with that alone you cannot call either one popamole.

Raapys

Arcane
SR is a simple toddler's first arrpeegee game, while this one looks to have gameplay systems with actual depth. It does lack some in the art department, very rough around the edges, but presumably the final version will look a bit more polished. Even if it doesn't, just getting an RPG with some decent systems would be a very refreshing change.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Other KS devs don't show the game so early because of negative reactions.

The environments will most likely look a lot better when they start making the actual maps. Up until recently testing the real basic stuff has been the biggest priority - getting the camera, controls and UI right and getting the basic systems in.

The level that Joe played the recent video in looks a lot better than the Tech Demo level that roshan and I played - more art assets, more colors and the map is positioned and laid out better for the camera angle. For me I don't have a problem with the low texture resolution, style and color can be improved later but I did suggest they touch up the environments a bit for the upcoming videos.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Good graphics add to the atmosphere, while rotating cameras destroy atmosphere and immersion. I actually like the 80's feel of the intro graphics and logos, but the game environments are too bland and ugly. Plus, that heavy focus on jump'n'run stuff in the pitch video is not really evoking 'true RPG' feeling either.

Also, not sure why Shadowrun is "popamole" while this one is not. Both are turn-based, so with that alone you cannot call either one popamole.

This is checklist analysis. You think that if a game has turn-based and it is isometric, it must be oldschool. Not true, because you have to consider how these game elements are implemented. The stats, the skills, the combat system and the reactivity are all fluffy. The writing for the most part is terrible. The only thing Shadowrun has in its favor is the graphics. While graphics are not completely irrelevant, they are not the most important thing. I’m interested in this game because I enjoyed SitS. It wasn’t a superb masterpiece, but it is certainly better than most kickstarters. If you can’t see this, I think this discussion is pointless.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You think that if a game has turn-based and it is isometric, it must be oldschool.

No, I think that a TB game cannot be popamole - that's RT shit. You can say that combat in Shadowrun was too simple, but it's not popamole.
And I don't care about isometric (blobbers are more old-school in my opinion).

As to the writing, that is more important actually. If they can deliver on that and reach at least a SitS level of graphics, I may give it a go.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
21479.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You think that if a game has turn-based and it is isometric, it must be oldschool.

No, I think that a TB game cannot be popamole - that's RT shit.

That is a superficial way of seeing things. From the fact that the turn-based combat system is inherently superior to real time or real time with pause, doesn’t follow that any game with turn-based combat system is either complex, or engaging, or hardcore or old-school. Games such as the most recent X-COMs and all the Shadownruns have turn-based combat system, but they are shallow, superficial and involve zero tactics. On the other hand, SitS has real time with pause combat system but it is more engrossing and challenging than these turn based games. Of course, it would be even better if it was turn based, but that is not the point, since what matter the most it is the level of complexity and challenge involved. If a complex and challenging game also has the right elements (it is isometric, has turn-based combat system, good writing, reactivity, etc.), that is even better.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Games such as the most recent X-COMs and all the Shadownruns have turn-based combat system, but they are shallow, superficial and involve zero tactics. On the other hand, SitS has real time with pause combat system but it is more engrossing and challenging than these turn based games.

Challenging? SitS? Did you play it in self-imposed ironman or something?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Well, at least the beginning you can’t beat every fight. Afterwards, the game is completely broken, but you also have some enemies with special characteristics that require some planning. My main point is that the game has more “meat” in it, more detailed skills and stuff.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Well, at least the beginning you can’t beat every fight. Afterwards, the game is completely broken, but you also have some enemies with special characteristics that require some planning. My main point is that the game has more “meat” in it, more detailed skills and stuff.
Not really. I think you are just retarded. SitS is way simpler and easier than IE games or even PoE.

The strength of SitS is sticking to old school values and its total freedom.

ArchAngel

Arcane
SitS is way simpler and easier than PoE.

:lol: It is simpler only on the art department!
In SitS tank and spank works wonders, better than even v1.0 PoE. At least in 1.0 PoE those ghost thingies would blink behind my tanks and rape my back line.
Also 9/10 of spells are useless and waste of skills which is not true for PoE or IE games.
Combat is not the highlight of SitS, not even close.

Mustawd

SiTS's combat was its weakest point, although the ideas behind it were good.

When I started the game I was hooked with the original story, concept of taking over companion souls, and the overall atmosphere and look of the game.

I fell in love with it when I saw a tree with a hole, transformed a party member into a cat and walked through the hole to see an enemy inside that instantly attacked me the second my cat transformation was over.

It was such a charming little touch (in the first area to boot) that totally took me back to the old games where developers put thoughts and feeling into their games instead of just following the same old formulas.

That's why you should back this game Lady Error and not because of muh camera rotation or muh grafix. We need more devs like Hannah and Joe.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I fell in love with it when I saw a tree with a hole, transformed a party member into a cat and walked through the hole to see an enemy inside that instantly attacked me the second my cat transformation was over

Or using a spell into a flower to release a fairy and eat it! You're right, the interactive use of skills in the environment is definitely SitS greatest strength.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Combat should be stronger in Copper Dreams although it should also still have the iconic Whalenought exploration and puzzle based gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom