Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Copper Dreams Kickstarter Campaign is Live

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
Not backed (technical issue), but voted for Greenlight, and I'll buy it on day 1 when it will be released. )

Is it possible to get some game portals to report on this KS?
I'm translating all news about Coppr Dreams and SitS on some Russian forum, this is my contribution to the game and community.

Really appreciate that, thanks so much!

I quite literally love the low-poly models but the environments could use a bit more colour, I think.

Whalenought_Joe would it be too much trouble to make faux-leather versions of the book? I would like my gimmick items to be cruelty-free, if possible. I've reserved my copy but will have to change if that's not possible.

Also, the Kickstarter page shows a male figure as the prototype of the main character but we do get to choose gender, right?

Sure thing, someone else had asked about that in the comments. We haven't assembled them yet and can look around for a good synthetic to use.

For the PC, you can select male or female body types during character creation and from a few different heads.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm really looking forward to this. It will be interesting to see how exploration and combat will be now that we have another axis to think of. This is why I am also interested in Seven, even if that hasn't showed much rpg elements yet.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Whalenought_Joe how prevalent is the jumping? Are there jumping puzzles? Have you played Ultima 8 and realized that jumping around in this perspective is an awful idea?

Also, on a none jumping related topic... Will there be a quest log and an area map?

Thanks!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ultima 8 didn't just have jumping - it had platforming where you drowned if you missed a jump. Nobody minded jumping and climbing around in towns where it was just another way of exploring and finding cool stuff.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Ultima 8 didn't just have jumping - it had platforming where you drowned if you missed a jump. Nobody minded jumping and climbing around in towns where it was just another way of exploring and finding cool stuff.
And you platformed through the magic of gravity? Not through jumping?

The gameplay video made it look clunky and gimmicky.

Starwars

Arcane
In for 15 bucks, gotta support the most charming couple in game development today.

Wish I had more cash to burn, but alas...

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
Jumping right now is used prominently for navigating a vertical environment and finding new routes to places. It's taken quite a few forms mechanically and is continually being updated, but is meant for ease of use and accuracy — it's the equivalent of clicking to path to a tile like normal, rather than a directional jump like in U8 or a platformer.

Will there be a quest log and an area map?

There will be a terminal item you can open that acts as a digital map of the city you can pin notes into, as well as a lighter minimap like item with a GUI you can keep open that's smaller and lighter.

There is also a notepad on the bottom right of the HUD. Event-level missions have you receive a briefing package with a diskette including prevalent information, theres no checklist-log though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Btw, how does party navigation work? How close to each other must your characters stay? Can you spread out and then flank or back attack enemies from different directions? Let's say some members enter a floor from the elevator and then you surprise the enemy by having one character jump in from a window?

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
Btw, how does party navigation work? How close to each other must your characters stay? Can you spread out and then flank or back attack enemies from different directions? Let's say some members enter a floor from the elevator and then you surprise the enemy by having one character jump in from a window?

There are two ways of controlling how they can move around, one being a rally mode where party members follow a party leader with variable distances and then naturally navigate toward the leader. Right now that's just short/medium/far, which can be set that on their character sheet. The other mode is individual mode, where you can tab through your characters one at a time and move them. You can also turn on what we're calling tactical mode during individual control (or it automatically switches to it if toggled). With tactical mode being on the world is only moving while you are, and when all characters reach their destination it stops again for new commands.

Using characters individually displays their hotkeys above their heads, and for rally mode just the selected party leader has an indicator.

We'll show those off in a video, probably better shown then described. It's designed for you to be able to setup ambushes and stealth with precision or setup flanking appropriately, while also being able to casually jaunt around town. Early on we had more of an RTS style movement with formations, but there were just too many ways that either broke down or wasn't useful.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

There are two ways of controlling how they can move around, one being a rally mode where party members follow a party leader with variable distances and then naturally navigate toward the leader. Right now that's just short/medium/far, which can be set that on their character sheet. The other mode is individual mode, where you can tab through your characters one at a time and move them. You can also turn on what we're calling tactical mode during individual control (or it automatically switches to it if toggled). With tactical mode being on the world is only moving while you are, and when all characters reach their destination it stops again for new commands.

Using characters individually displays their hotkeys above their heads, and for rally mode just the selected party leader has an indicator.

We'll show those off in a video, probably better shown then described. It's designed for you to be able to setup ambushes and stealth with precision or setup flanking appropriately, while also being able to casually jaunt around town. Early on we had more of an RTS style movement with formations, but there were just too many ways that either broke down or wasn't useful.
I like the sound of that. Seems like what I was hoping for.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even described as a sketch of how party navigation will work, that all sounds perfect. I hate real time party games where I can't get the team to stop crawling up my ass.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I don't know how final your music based on the kickstarter video, but I'm hoping for lots of escape from new york-like john carpenter synth :smug:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm proud to announce that I stop to be a "sad pirate" (because of technical reasons) and just bought Serpent in the Staglands (also Age of Decadence, Underrail and a few favorite roguelike games).
I'll treat with understanding if you feel the urge to tell me something bad. )))

Also, 30 min ago I finished translation of this news article, and will continue to translate Whalenought_Joe's words about game mechanic, that I saw here in commentaries. )

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whalenought_Joe what about char creation? What are our options as far as stats and skills go? Though if that's covered in a separate update I can wait for that.

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
I don't know how final your music based on the kickstarter video, but I'm hoping for lots of escape from new york-like john carpenter synth :smug:

Ambient environmental sounds are going to be a focal point of our audio design for this game, so we wanted to have the music enhance more mysterious tones, which synth can work well for. Our starting ideas are sort of a combination of Riven and that more 80's synth, but we're still in the early stages of working with him on that.

Whalenought_Joe what about char creation? What are our options as far as stats and skills go? Though if that's covered in a separate update I can wait for that.

We do have a planned update featuring this. Our voice actor is narrating a bureaucrat giving your draftee departure interview as you provide stats and background details, so that should be entertaining. Backgrounds give both bonuses and ailments while determining stat output, and are what your character did and in what districts post second civil war in the US, so you'll get some world context text out of that as well.

Some backgrounds in areas can give you a skill point to start with (usually at the expense of stat points), but are normally learned while using XP to train during rests. Points in skills that roll-to-hit are normally determined by passes and fails in combat automatically, and net your character another D8 to hit with for every point. While this isn't the final layout, you can see the records screen here:

5A0281058D4C439FF40380F8A4C8A44C01232B22

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom